Relocation - New Hampshire

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Wasn't sure were this should go but.... Wife and I are thinking of relocating to Northeast, specifically NH.

We've lived in Alaska/WA for the past 15 years and want to get closer to family while retaining a bit of a rural feeling. We have a young son so education is also a concern for school districts.

Any suggestions?

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Are you looking for super rural, semi rural, close to Boston, seacoast, close to VT, do you want stop lights in your town, do you want to be near a lake, do you want to be near a mountain? Gotta narrow it down a bit there are lots of suggestions depending on what you're looking for.

I live in Nashua.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Also, what do you plan on doing for work? That has a huge bearing on my answer too.
My wife's a manager at a walmart for 15 years now so within a 30 minute driver for her, doesn't matter as much for me. I'm away for work 3/4 days a week.

Semi rural works, I like to be near civilization like libraries, movies, train stations etc... My wife grew up in VT near Killington. I've only driven through NH a few times and spent a week at the NH beach back in the early 90's.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I would recommend somewhere close to Portsmouth. But that's just because I love that little city, one of my favorite places and they have a phenomenal local brewery that doesn't distribute called Portsmouth Brewery. Red Hook and Smuttynose (which Portsmouth is actually a sister brewery to) are there too.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
I would recommend somewhere close to Portsmouth. But that's just because I love that little city, one of my favorite places and they have a phenomenal local brewery that doesn't distribute called Portsmouth Brewery. Red Hook and Smuttynose (which Portsmouth is actually a sister brewery to) are there too.
Pretty much this. You can drive 20-30 outside Portsmouth and be in a pretty rural area, and it's close enough to the main roads to shoot down to Boston in no time. Portsmouth Brewery is awesome.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Ok will take a look at the surronding area.

Thanks for the suggestion, we thought about Vermont but the value for living seemed better in NH and Maine is just a bit too far.

Cybsled

Portsmouth is right next to Maine and it has a decent downtown (kind of like Northampton, MA if you've been there). But by and large, NH is fairly rural for the most part (or not thickly settled at the very least). Of course, depending on where you live, I hope you enjoy the sound of motorcycles with no muffle-type features racing by at 2am.

Vinen

God is dead
LOL NH. AKA where MA residents flee after they drive the taxes too high up to live there.

Given that you lived in nowhere before (Albeit an amazing area... Love Alaska) you should feel pretty at home in NH. I'd still recommend living in an area with easy access to Boston as all the cities in NH are absolute trash.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I hope you enjoy the sound of motorcycles with no muffle-type features racing by at 2am.
rrr_img_47905.jpg