Rent Vs. Buy housing

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Somewhat unrelated question. A personal issue made my wife and I consider moving, JUST after buying a house. It's no longer an issue, but we'd like to be prepared in case it does happen again. Are there any restrictions or penalties to selling a house after just buying it as a primary residence? Can we turn around and rent it? I keep reading about reselling within 2 years of purchase will get the sale taxed as a capital gain. Any exceptions to this?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Somewhat unrelated question. A personal issue made my wife and I consider moving, JUST after buying a house. It's no longer an issue, but we'd like to be prepared in case it does happen again. Are there any restrictions or penalties to selling a house after just buying it as a primary residence? Can we turn around and rent it? I keep reading about reselling within 2 years of purchase will get the sale taxed as a capital gain. Any exceptions to this?
Only the profit from selling would get taxed as a capital gain. I'm not sure about the exact time frame.

Nothing in particular would stop you from flipping the house other than the losses you'd take on realtor and closing costs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol @ 2% rates on a 30 year loan, shit is incredible. The days of 15%+ interest rates are before my time but I can't imagine ever buying a house at those rates:

10380_2_1067.jpg

I do agree with what's being said about not paying off loans at super low rates and investing it. Personally I hate having debt and my quality of life is higher knowing I have no debt but it's totally a smart way to do it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
lol @ 2% rates on a 30 year loan, shit is incredible. The days of 15%+ interest rates are before my time but I can't imagine ever buying a house at those rates:
I do agree with what's being said about not paying off loans at super low rates and investing it. Personally I hate having debt and my quality of life is higher knowing I have no debt but it's totally a smart way to do it.
When my parents bought their first home in 1976, they got a 14% interest rate and were THRILLED. I guess that was a couple percent below average at the time. Of course, this was on a $10,000 house. There's a hell of a lot of people out there with a bigger balance on their credit cards with a higher interest rate than that nowadays. On the flip side, it evened out somewhat because you could put your money in the bank and collect like 7 or 8% interest as well. Whenever home loan interest rates are high as hell, you can generally get great returns on safe/simple investments too. It's all relative. Beats the hell out of the .1% interest that my bank gives me on a savings account. I'd honestly rather get no interest and not have to worry about the income come tax time, it's completely negligible in the grand scheme of things, but I'm always paranoid about getting audited if I just flat-out don't record it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll take 1970's interest rates if I can get 1970's housing prices. Especially since most people are still getting paid like it's 1970.

1970 population levels too.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll take 1970's interest rates if I can get 1970's housing prices. Especially since most people are still getting paid like it's 1970.

1970 population levels too.
Yeah no shit. My boss's house in Oak Park, IL she bought for $26,000 in 1979 with a 19.5% interest rate. . It's worth like 750,000 today. I'd glady take that interest rate at that price too.

and yes, I know about inflation.

edit: also helps that she lives in one of the most desirable suburbs in Illinois

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah no shit. My boss's house in Oak Park, IL she bought for $26,000 in 1979 with a 19.5% interest rate. . It's worth like 750,000 today. I'd glady take that interest rate at that price too.

and yes, I know about inflation.

edit: also helps that she lives in one of the most desirable suburbs in Illinois
Yea thats an insane amount of housing appreciation, even adjusting for inflation. Don't think you're going to see that type of appreciation for a while, a lot of the massive inflation in "desirable" suburbs has been driven by white flight.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oak Park is the most diverse suburb in Illinois with property value that high too. It's right on the border of Chicago's west side and the Austin neighborhood, which is top 3 most crime ridden neighborhoods of Chicago.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You can still buy houses for under $10k in the US. And that's with super low interest to boot. Allow me to find some listings for you.

Acually, this list of 18 houses can all be purchased for a grand total of under $10,000.00
Not a bad deal if you're in the market.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...troit_MI/sby-1
You may have to remove the homeless masses from their crack den, but this can ALL BE YOURS for a steal.

Just think, you can buy up an entire block for a few thousand, build a giant wall and make yourself a real bad-ass compound.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Oak Park is the most diverse suburb in Illinois with property value that high too. It's right on the border of Chicago's west side and the Austin neighborhood, which is top 3 most crime ridden neighborhoods of Chicago.
Thats an interesting suburb, although the median incomes don't seem particularly high. The property values aren't crazily high for a major metro area like that either. The average listing price in Oak Park IL is $243k. I was thinking something more along the lines of Wilmette with an average listing price of 579k or Highland Park with an average listing price of $700k...

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A home is often a person's most valuable capital asset. If you have a gain from the sale of your main home, you may qualify to exclude up to $250,000 of that gain from your income. You may exclude up to $500,000 of that gain if you file a joint return with your spouse. Publication 523, Selling Your Home, provides rules and worksheets. Topic 409 covers general capital gain and loss information.

In general, to qualify for the exclusion, you must meet both the ownership test and the use test. You are eligible for the exclusion if you have owned and used your home as your main home for a period aggregating at least two years out of the five years prior to its date of sale. Generally, you are not eligible for the exclusion if you excluded the gain from the sale of another home during the two-year period prior to the sale of your home. Refer to Publication 523 for the complete eligibility requirements, limitations on the exclusion amount, and exceptions to the two-year rule.
If the home turns into a rental it makes things more complicated, since you'll have to recapture any depreciation you take. Unless you plan to keep it a rental property long term, you're getting insane rent, or you think the market will skyrocket and sitting on it a little longer will result in a much better sales tag, short term renting doesn't make much sense to me - too much pain, not enough (if any) gain.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Where these 2% loans coming from? My wife and I have finally found a home to purchase and according to our mortgage broker about 4.5% is we can get. This is crap as as early as 30 days ago we could have gotten 3.5%.

Everything is already signed so I am basically hoping rates drop a bit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2% is probably on a 15 year. If you already signed everything then you already locked in your rate. You can try to let it expire and hope rates have gone down but you'll pay the mortgage application fee again I think, which is probably nothing compared to a 1% drop in interest rate. Also depends on when closing is but I'm sure you could get that moved... maybe?

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Thats an interesting suburb, although the median incomes don't seem particularly high. The property values aren't crazily high for a major metro area like that either. The average listing price in Oak Park IL is $243k. I was thinking something more along the lines of Wilmette with an average listing price of 579k or Highland Park with an average listing price of $700k...
Oak Park is really split into two very different areas. The Southern and Eastern Parts of Oak Park are much poorer than the Northern Parts and around the Frank Llyod Wright houses. That's where you get the lower average property value.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Where these 2% loans coming from? My wife and I have finally found a home to purchase and according to our mortgage broker about 4.5% is we can get. This is crap as as early as 30 days ago we could have gotten 3.5%.

Everything is already signed so I am basically hoping rates drop a bit.
Even the lowest average rate was 2.56% on a 15 year the week of 5/3. Those rates are the ideal rates though. That's a $200k+ loan with 20% down and top credit. Most people don't qualify for the best rate. The rates have jumped quite a bit in the last few weeks though. Almost all the way up to 3.5% on a 15 year.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ive got relatives in Oak Park and think you cant take that suburb as an example to any other in the US when it comes to real estate prices.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Cursed 20%,we are doing 10 have over 700 credit. Mortgage insurance is the other thing that pisses me off, trying to keep that low.

I am going to end up with two homes for a indeterminate amount of time. I am considering going renting as it is not selling for what I need to cover the mortgage. Will end up looking into renters warehouse and see what type of overhead they add.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Cursed 20%,we are doing 10 have over 700 credit. Mortgage insurance is the other thing that pisses me off, trying to keep that low.
Seriously mortgage insurance at this point, to me, is bullshit. Banks should not over lend or offer more than a person can afford (they still do it). The amount of principal paid or amount down to forgo PMI should be reduced, as it is becoming more unfeasible for families to actually put that amount down. Shit is an outright scam at this point it seems like.