Rent Vs. Buy housing

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Believe me I agree with you; the reality is just that most people don't have that self control so if they sock their money away in their house where they can't spend it, they're ultimately better off. The best advice to give someone is to realize what kind of person you're dealing with and give advice accordingly.
Is it really all that different though? If people sock all their money away in their house they can suck it back out with home equity lines, refinancing, constantly upgrading to a bigger house and so on. I guess there's a little more work involved than just calling your broker or logging in to your bank account and moving some numbers around, but if someone is financially irresponsible they're going to find a way to fuck up their finances no matter what.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Is it really all that different though? If people sock all their money away in their house they can suck it back out with home equity lines, refinancing, constantly upgrading to a bigger house and so on. I guess there's a little more work involved than just calling your broker or logging in to your bank account and moving some numbers around, but if someone is financially irresponsible they're going to find a way to fuck up their finances no matter what.
Well 1st, its a lot harder these days to get HELOC's and cash-out refi's these days. The banks are a little gun-shy.

Second, yes its mostly because of the extra work involved... people are impulse-driven. When your impulse requires a closing etc etc to accomplish, the impulse fades. When all they have to do is click some buttons on vanguard and then hit up vacationstogo.com or whatever... the situation is a little different.

Just my thought. I'm sitting on a 3.6% fixed 30 year mortgage which I have no intention of ever paying early, and my brokerage accounts just keep growing...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Fair enough. Like I said earlier, in my personal circumstance and timelines, I'd have lost my ass if I'd invested the money I paid down my mortgage with. But that was sheer luck. Academically I don't disagree, given how stupidly low US mortgage rates are.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Fair enough. Like I said earlier, in my personal circumstance and timelines, I'd have lost my ass if I'd invested the money I paid down my mortgage with. But that was sheer luck. Academically I don't disagree, given how stupidly low US mortgage rates are.
It really is an entirely different ball of wax in Canada. Banks are A LOT more conservative in what they will lend you (one of the reasons why Canada didn't implode in 2008), the lending rate is higher, there is no tax deduction for mortgage interest, banks can actually put liens on your personal assets if you default on your mortgage, and unless you purely invest in Canadian stocks 50% of your capital gains get taxed at your nominal tax rate (which of course could easily be 45%). Essentially, the decision to invest rather than pay off your mortgage is one that needs to be carefully weighed in contrast to the scenario in the US where it's a no brainer.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't know it had jumped that much. When I loan shopping back in February. they were down around 2.6%.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the average 30 year fixed rate is like 4.5% right now. It's a pretty big jump over the past couple weeks.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
We basically traded up from our first home in 2007 with the builder on our new home - yeah, bad time to buy, but we're about even now as far as appraisal value to what we paid for it.

We just did a modification on our "mortgage" (wife works for the bank, so they do the loan in-house). It's a fifteen year with a 7 year balloon @ 1.75%. Not risky for us as after 7 years we could cover the principle if absolutely necessary.

What's worked out really well though is she had always been paid once per month, so we just paid the mortgage when she was paid. They just changed her to twice per month, so now we pay half the mortgage at each paycheck and it makes a significant difference in what goes towards principle.