Required Documents for Moving Abroad

I'm in the process of gathering up all my important documents to move abroad and I was wondering if it's legal, or even necessary, to print extra copies of things like my birth certificate, driver's license, social security card, etc. If so, do I need to get them notarized?

Also, I read I should take my tax records with me but the only papers I kept are my W2 forms. Is that all I need or should I seek out forms from the IRS to request my tax records? If so, how many years back should I request?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm in the process of gathering up all my important documents to move abroad and I was wondering if it's legal, or even necessary, to print extra copies of things like my birth certificate, driver's license, social security card, etc. If so, do I need to get them notarized?

Also, I read I should take my tax records with me but the only papers I kept are my W2 forms. Is that all I need or should I seek out forms from the IRS to request my tax records? If so, how many years back should I request?

I've done this a few times, and I always pack notebook on my carryon with a copy of pretty much every important/useful doc that I can think of. Mostly it isn't needed, but it really sucks to be in a spot where you need something and don't have ready access to it. Even docs that you carry with you, like your DL and passport, you should have a paper copy (in a separate spot) just in case your real one gets stolen/lost.

Generally speaking, other than your passport, no one in other countries will care about/trust your US documents, notarized or not, unless they've specifically asked for something. (A federally notarized fbi background check, or diploma copies notarized at an embassy of the country you're moving to, as examples.) And your tax info,if needed, is probably needed to verify income/employment (If you do need that, in addition to the W2's, I would have access to a few months of pay-slips since that's probably easier to understand and verify than a W2.), but if you're moving, then you would normally not have that source of income any longer. So I wouldn't worry about ordering past W2's unless something has specifically asked for it. If you need to provide proof of finances, then you would probably want bank statements.

There are a few different considerations too. First is the immediate stuff that you'll need for the country, and that will vary hugely depending on where you're going and for what reason. You should know this before going though, obviously (and should be meticulous about having exactly what their immigration say you need), but there are a few things that you might not think of. First, the immigration people have never really followed what was on their site, so don't freak out when they expect you to have stuff they didn't mention and don't care about half the stuff they did. It's just how government works everywhere I guess :/

But aside from whatever you need to get your resident status, you'll probably also need other things like a bank, driver's license, apartment, etc. These things may need stuff like prior leases and landlord contact info, proof of income and past employment, etc. etc. Note that some of these things are WAY harder in other countries, and as a bonus, no one will trust you because you're a dirty foreigner :) But try to think of everything that you'd need to start a new life in the US, and be sure to have that stuff handy. Just to be safe, I would try to carry a physical copy as well as having everything scanned and available in dropbox or somewhere online, just in case I need it.

The other side to that, is that you'll still need to manage stuff in the US once you're gone. You'll still need to file taxes, probably pay some bills, etc. So you'll need to have everything on hand to be able to do that. Not sure if you've traveled much internationally, but I would also recommend getting a US-based vps/vps before you go (and don't forget to notify your banks). When you try to do things from abroad, stuff can be oddly difficult sometimes. Pretty much everything you do with the American sites that you're used to using will now flag your account for fraud because you're trying to do it from a different country. Being able to log in with a US ip can be a lifesaver sometimes.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here are a few other answers from PMs. I thought they might be generally useful to anyone thinking about moving abroad:

I would strongly recommend leaving at least a token amount of money in your US account and leaving it open (at least enough to cover whatever recurring bank fees are there for a year or so). Once you're abroad, it's almost impossible to open a US bank, and you might find that having one would make life easier. Just like with the vps that I mentioned, there are some things online that are just way easier if you have a US bank account. And just generally, bank accounts are always getting more difficult to open, so once you have an account in a country, you should probably leave it open.

For carrying money with you, maybe I'm paranoid, but I try to never carry more on me than I'm prepared to lose. Shit happens. People lose things, get mugged, get pickpocketed, get drunk and blow everything etc etc (a hard night of drinking in some cities/bars might cost more than a lot of Americans could even imagine). You probably think that's not going to happen, and the probability is super low of course, but especially in foreign countries where whatever support system you might have (family, friends, whatever) is very far away, you should keep the worse case scenario in mind. What happens when you get to your hotel on the first night and realize that for some reason, you don't have your wallet?

Generally, when I travel/move/whatever, I take enough in cash to get oriented/situated in the new spot (how much that is really depends on what you expect to be doing for the first week or so). If you can make arrangements beforehand (like booking your hotel for your first week online), you won't need as much, though you should always have enough to at least stay at a shitbag place for a few nights if things go sideways.

I usually exchange whatever cash I'm taking at the airport, departure side if possible. Ya, you may pay a little more, but that's a tax that buys you less stress and less chance of something going wrong. Also, research beforehand how well your current debit card will work in the destination country. Sometimes it's no problem at all, sometimes its a very big problem. Sometimes, the atm happily takes your card, but the atm gui is in another language and is in no way decipherable. Depends a lot on the countries and banks. Also, check your bank's fees and exchange rates for foreign withdrawls, as they can sometimes be cheaper than exchanging money at an airport/bank. That's great for pulling out some extra cash once you're there, but also, international airport terminals will sometimes have atms that let you withdraw cash in different currencies.

For education visas, many/most countries will need to have proof of your ability to support yourself during your education (probably bank statements showing that you have a few k per year in cash available), as most education visas won't allow you to work. And if you want to stay permanently, be sure you've researched all of those visas and not just the one that you need to enter. Most countries don't exactly make immigrating easy and will require you to have gotten a job that's willing to sponsor you (or gotten married to a native). Depending on your reasons for going, it may be worthwhile to shop around for a destination that has favorable immigration laws.

Not targeting anyone here, but just as a general warning, when I talk to people in RL, it's clear that a lot of otherwise intelligent and useful people in the US have no clue what it takes to actually change countries (here or elsewhere). The US gets all sorts of shit for it's immigration laws, but it's no cakewalk to in most countries that you'd want to live in either. I mean, it's not impossible, but it's not like you can just show up either. Getting a job (that pays well enough that they'd actually consider taking on the trouble and expense of dealing with visa sponsorship) from abroad can be rough to impossible depending on the country and profession, not to mention the potential difficulty that speaking a different language can add. It's probably also worthwhile to research the penalties for visa violations (overstay, working on a visitor/education visa, etc.). Insane fines and prison sentences prior to deportation are possible, and there are no sanctuary cities to run to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
I keep coming back to your posts (thanks again btw) and it just seems overwhelming to me. I'm actually not nervous about living in another country, it's all of this preparation that's killing me. I don't know where to begin.

Does a service exist, similar to tax preparation spaces like H&R Block, where I can just go pay a fee to have someone make all the preparations for my specific needs?

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I got my working visa for Poland I had to bring my passport, application for visa, the letter of introduction (sent by my employer, pretty much verifies that I was hired by them) and my driver's license. I also had to apply in person, which led to me driving from the deep south to Washington D.C. for a single night so I could spend 5 minutes at the consulate. I also had to pay $65 to apply and then have my passport be sent back to me.

No birth certificate. No social security card. But then again it seems like you're making a permanent move.

Vinen

God is dead
I keep coming back to your posts (thanks again btw) and it just seems overwhelming to me. I'm actually not nervous about living in another country, it's all of this preparation that's killing me. I don't know where to begin.

Does a service exist, similar to tax preparation spaces like H&R Block, where I can just go pay a fee to have someone make all the preparations for my specific needs?

Talk to an Accountant or Tax Attorney.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Depending on the country, there are sometimes services that will help sort out your visa things. I'd be SUPER cautious about getting scammed with these though. I know that visa 'facilitators' are pretty common in some countries, but that's usually for tourist visas. I would think that for long-term visas, even if you could get some one to sort it out for you, you'd probably be better off being very well informed on the details your self. I mean, even if they're 100% honest, it's your ass if they fuck something up. However, I know the US has immigration lawyers that help people move here, so other countries may have similar lawyers (and probably lawyers here that help you move other places). That would probably be the best bet if you didn't mind throwing some money at the problem. You may have to do some research to track them down though.

The best bet is to google the shit out of things like: moving to x, immigrating to x, expat x forum, expat x community. There are some really great expat forums out there with tons of info like this. Before I moved out of the country for the first time, I dug up the forums relevant to the country and read hundreds of posts worth of QnA.

I know it's a lot to deal with, but it's really not so bad once you get to work on the process. Just make a big checklist of everything you need to sort out and start checking things off. Also, if you're moving for school, there are probably resources at the school to help out with this kind of thing too.