Rerolled Hearthstone Tournament #4

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I would be happy with anything besides single elim. Round robin with the amount of entries we had last time would probably take too long though?

Double elim or swiss are both good for me. Looking forward to it!

The Master

Bronze Squire
I personally am leaning toward groups if we get ~17 people again. That'd mean everyone gets to play at least 3 matches (groups of 4-5). Which seems pretty reasonable to me. But I wanted to see if anyone had better ideas. Or more interesting ideas. Like one thing I've heard a lot of professionals complain about in a bo5 in HS is how huge an advantage winning the first game is. Because if you win the first game, lose the second, you can counter-pick, win, lose, counter-pick, win. It is really unusual to lose the set if you win the first game in HS. So one idea I had to make it more interesting is make the winner switch decks. I just like the idea that this our tournament and we can do it differently, toss around ideas, etc., and really we're only trying to make it FUN. That is the whole point from my perspective.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
To me, losing the first game and not getting to counter-pick the winner puts the person who lost the first game at an even larger disadvantage.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm in of course. I like round Robin. Length of the tournament is of no concern, I'd rather see the best player win and eliminate as much luck factor as possible.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm in and if we get as many as last time, round robin works. Double elimination is good too.

Be cool if we had some prize for the winner, either a small money pool or something else ( I've got a number of spare game keys for example)

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
We've seen a lot of different formats, I'm just going to throw out what I think is best.

Double Elimination, Losers Bracket in the final has to win 2 separate bo5 against the winners bracket person. Lately I've seen big tournaments not do this and it's retarded. You absolutely make the Losers bracket player win 2 matches.

Beyond that, I think what they did at IEM was great. You bring 4 decks, you tell the opponent your 4 heroes and they can choose to ban 1 class. So say I bring Shaman Warlock Rogue Druid, and you bring Warrior Warlock Druid Rogue. I ban you from playing Warlock and you ban me from playing Rogue. So I have to play the bo5 with Shaman Rogue Druid, you have to play with Warrior Warlock Druid. Why do this? It adds and interesting dynamic where you have to plan your decks a little better, and you can plan around not playing a specific deck (like Miracle Rogue for example).

The seatstory cup format was decent as well with the secret deck.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You could combine IEM and Seatstory. 3 heroes + a secret deck, you're allowed to ban the secret deck.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
I like the secret deck idea from the SeatStory Cup but I would imagine it would be hard to enforce the rule about a player only being able to use it once during the entire tournament.

A losers bracket would be great though.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You could combine IEM and Seatstory. 3 heroes + a secret deck, you're allowed to ban the secret deck.
Well, you can't really. The secret deck was allowed to be any hero, even one you already used. Strifecro for example literally had his secret deck be the same exact deck as his Druid deck so he could play it twice in one match up. Seatstory was also bo7 the entire time so they already had 4 hero's as well.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm in, whatever format works. Might want to wait a week or so after Naxx this week as I imagine that will be hot the next few weeks.

The Master

Bronze Squire
OK, so I'll keep taking ideas till Naxx comes out. Put up a poll the day Naxx comes out and start the tournament a week after that.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
you mean all of naxx or just the first wing? because a week after that is when the next wing is gonna come out, which'll also be new and shiny, etc.