Retail Apocalypse aka The E-Commerce Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmm. Might be a area thing.
I have 51 orders in the past 6 months and everyone of them came UPS. Many on SUNDAY which the UPS delivers only Amazon on as far as I am aware.
The UPS is running in the red for 10 years straight. Bezos gained 53 billion this past year in value. Amazon is getting a wild deal but as already said Amazon nor the UPS sets those prices. If the UPS is taking a hit due to Amazon then it needs raised. If the UPS is taking a hit due to decreased mail volume, ad flyers and pensions and shit then I don't know. If I did I wouldn't be typing this fucking message.
Bro, are you calling USPS UPS here?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Bro, are you calling USPS UPS here?

Yes he is.

As a small shipper who gets minimal discounts usps is about 10-20% cheaper than ups when it comes to packages under 5lbs. They become competative over 5lbs combined with larger distances. USPS could easily raise some pricing in some circumstances but i'd say from the very small business perspective Trump is off the mark.

I know fuck all about what amazon pays but id bet Trump is right that usps is subsidizing their bottom line with completely ridiculous discounts.

If usps isnt symbiotically profiting off amazon in a major way they are retarded and doing it wrong.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Yes he is.

As a small shipper who gets minimal discounts usps is about 10-20% cheaper than ups when it comes to packages under 5lbs. They become competative over 5lbs combined with larger distances. USPS could easily raise some pricing in some circumstances but i'd say from the very small business perspective Trump is off the mark.

I know fuck all about what amazon pays but id bet Trump is right that usps is subsidizing their bottom line with completely ridiculous discounts.
They all do. I'd LOVE to know what prices these places pay. When Target runs litter promotions for example I can get 35lb Tidy Cat containers shipped 1-2 days UPS( Real UPS this time not USPS ) for $7 each. They normally cost $12 in stores. Now how can it sell it for $5 under store cost which would eat away much of the margin and still pay to ship something 35lbs 2 day or less delivery.
Chewy, Jet, Target, Walmart, Amazon and more all do it. None of them seem to care about weight or size for the most part which makes you wonder what sort of deals they made.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I order for Amazon almost daily and I'd say maybe 1/10 th the packages I received are delivered by USPS. The overwhelming majority are delivered by UPS.
Not for me. I can't remember the last time I had an Amazon package delivered by UPS. Also, poor USPS is forced to deliver on Sundays now.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I want my USPS to look at me when he delivers an Amazon package like my Fed Ex delivery man looks at me when he delivers a Chewy package.
You can almost see the USPS mans anger when he brings them.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Yes he is.

If usps isnt symbiotically profiting off amazon in a major way they are retarded and doing it wrong.

What Kiroy said. I used to ship by USPS whenever i could when I ran my ecom, it was cheaper than UPS, especially on small shipments and for shipments that werent expedited. UPS and Fedex shipping was preferred for expedited delivery because USPS failed often to deliver shit in 1 or 2 days

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I order for Amazon almost daily and I'd say maybe 1/10 th the packages I received are delivered by USPS. The overwhelming majority are delivered by UPS.
delivery service is dependent on delivery date, item, and warehouse availability.

sure sometimes your shit gets shipped from 10 states away, but that might just be b/c other shit is going to the same place too

most of my stuff is usps w/ ups handling the big items.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
USPS does have a "last mile" contract with Fedex. Fedex will ship from merchant to whatever their closest distribution center is, then drop off all packages at the USPS distro center and USPS will do the residential delivery.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also i notice usps seems to have two separate delivery routes now, one in the morning for packages (priority???) and then the regular mail + small packages shit in the afternoon.

• 1Like

Hachima

Molten Core Raider

Around here most of my prime packages are delivered by Amazon and their couriers(random person in their own personal vehicle) and they often toss the package and don't ring the bell but my camera picks them up so I'm prepared if they ever do break something. After that stuff is delivered by UPS which has always been professionally safely placed down. I will rarely get something through USPS and its usually when its something super small like a SD memory card.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Im almost convinced that UPS loses money on their Amazon contract, but the reason they keep doing it is to keep it out of FedEx hands

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
also i notice usps seems to have two separate delivery routes now, one in the morning for packages (priority???) and then the regular mail + small packages shit in the afternoon.
Here is what I've noticed that is off on it all.
The companies that do free shipping are direct. It is either UPS, USPS or Fed Ex all the way and usually 2 day delivery. Places like Jet( Walmart owned ), Chewy( PetSmart owned ), Target, Walmart, Amazon.
The companies that charge a asston for shipping for multiple ship with smartpost final route and take 4-14 days to get delivered. That is places like Kohl's, Coldwater Creek and so forth.

• 1Like

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
I worked at Amazon, as an executive, for a decade, but not in transportation or supply chain, and learned a ton. I can share some basics but I have to be careful about what I say. Here is public (ish) information:

Amazon maintains real time inventory and supply chain planning. Packages can be encumbered for delivery at the factory. Forecasting predicts how many of each item to send where in the country to minimise transport with very high accuracy. Amazon forward deploys high volume and popular items to all major cities to minimise transport distances. Amazon turns over all inventory ten plus times a year (B&M do 1-3 on total inventory), meaning that the cost of goods is low as you add very little (floor space x time) holding cost. Amazon owns a large percentage of transportation including the final mile. Amazon does so much volume with UPS, USPS, etc that it can negotiate incredible rates and aggressively works to be tolerant of the loss of any supplier (transport or otherwise) to keep market forces at work with their service suppliers. Amazon obsesses over operational metrics to a level of detail and attention that is actually scary to human beings in there outside world.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I worked at Amazon, as an executive, for a decade, but not in transportation or supply chain, and learned a ton. I can share some basics but I have to be careful about what I say. Here is public (ish) information:

Amazon maintains real time inventory and supply chain planning. Packages can be encumbered for delivery at the factory. Forecasting predicts how many of each item to send where in the country to minimise transport with very high accuracy. Amazon forward deploys high volume and popular items to all major cities to minimise transport distances. Amazon turns over all inventory ten plus times a year (B&M do 1-3 on total inventory), meaning that the cost of goods is low as you add very little (floor space x time) holding cost. Amazon owns a large percentage of transportation including the final mile. Amazon does so much volume with UPS, USPS, etc that it can negotiate incredible rates and aggressively works to be tolerant of the loss of any supplier (transport or otherwise) to keep market forces at work with their service suppliers. Amazon obsesses over operational metrics to a level of detail and attention that is actually scary to human beings in there outside world.

When i was an exec at my first e-com, they were turning inventory 3 times a year, i got it to 10 times a year in my first 6 months and we were doing $23M in gross annual revenue when i started (company was around for 7 years at that point). 2 years after i started we were doing over $80M. I was overseeing all marketing, merchandising, forecasting and purchasing.

Good to hear I was on Amazons level, armed with nothing more than a bunch of excel spreadsheets and my Jewish tricks

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What Kiroy said. I used to ship by USPS whenever i could when I ran my ecom, it was cheaper than UPS, especially on small shipments and for shipments that werent expedited. UPS and Fedex shipping was preferred for expedited delivery because USPS failed often to deliver shit in 1 or 2 days

Usps is pretty fucking on point nowadays with their shipping times. We may have one issue in a thousand shipments and its typically just a flat out lost package.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Usps is pretty fucking on point nowadays with their shipping times. We may have one issue in a thousand shipments and its typically just a flat out lost package.

*pocketing that knowledge for future purposes*

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I feel like all these posts on ecom and shipping should be moved into the retail apocalypse thread and that thread should be renamed to the general ecom thread. Lots of good knowledge in these posts and looks like we got a lot of folks in that biz

Thoughts?

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users