Retail Apocalypse aka The E-Commerce Thread

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Companies won't put up with that shit for long. I've seen Walmarts shut down over lack of sales and theft. Eventually, inventors are just hurting themselves as retail deserts expand faster than the Sahara...ahhh now we know what happened in Africa too, lol.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
A million dollars in annual shrinkage is literally $3,000 of theft, every day, 365 days a year.

I may have mixed up the number; it may have been 1m between other categories and theft. Which would make more sense; been a couple years now since leaving the company. Either way I know first hand that theft is #1 in retail. Im not sure about states side, however here they show numbers every year to min. wage employees like they're supposed to care.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

The biggest concern for these companies is fear of lawsuit. All it takes is one employee to think they are Dog the Bounty Hunter and you risk lawsuit by the thief if they are injured, or the employee, or some other legal technicality that violated someone's rights.

Like any company, they weigh costs. They are willing to let a $100 in steak walk if it means avoiding thousands in litigation costs. Even if it never goes to court, you're still paying attorneys.

• 1Barf

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The biggest concern for these companies is fear of lawsuit. All it takes is one employee to think they are Dog the Bounty Hunter and you risk lawsuit by the thief if they are injured, or the employee, or some other legal technicality that violated someone's rights.

Like any company, they weigh costs. They are willing to let a $100 in steak walk if it means avoiding thousands in litigation costs. Even if it never goes to court, you're still paying attorneys.
American Inventor thief: "My back!!!"

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A million dollars in annual shrinkage is literally $3,000 of theft, every day, 365 days a year.

Depending on how dindu the neighborhood is, I have absolutely no trouble believing this could happen at a single Wal-Mart supercenter.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Each Wal-Mart store does a full inventory audit once per year. Losses in the 1-2% range are considered normal. You get north of that and it triggers things like having to do inventory twice a year, additional managers on duty, more security, etc.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Depending on how dindu the neighborhood is, I have absolutely no trouble believing this could happen at a single Wal-Mart supercenter.

Every so often they show video on the news of a group of inventors walking out the door in bulk carrying big ass TV.'s Even once a month it adds up. If you ever are at wal-mart on a busy day just hang out and watch the door. The old lady checking receipts isn't accomplishing much. I've seen several people walk out with whatever at the door. But most people walking in and out are just trying to get in or out of the store and not paying attention.

Throw in all the little stuff and stuff employees take, adds up. They used to call it shrinkage. Shrinking the profit margin.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The best I heard was a loss prevention guy was scamming his own Walmart, for chump change. He'd buy 30$ worth of groceries and just not scan the last 5$ item and bag it.

He only got caught cuz he always self checked out when all Walmart employees go-to a cashier, usually to chat and check out.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
A lot of you won't like this, but here you go.

I love it. Fuck Bezos. He is pocketing tons with his shit monopoly with Obama sweetheart deals and CIA spying money. Him and his fake newspaper can go fuck themselves.

• 11Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Amusingly enough its not the USPS who gets to decide the cost of mail, its the Postal Regulatory Commission

About the Postal Regulatory Commission | Postal Regulatory Commission

The USPS has been trying for awhile to be able to set its own postage costs

Dont forget twats in congress were trying bankrupt USPS by requiring 100% vesting of potential retirements so that they would have to sell off land holdings and put the money in their own pockets.

Dianne Feinstein's Husband Tied To Questionable Dealings With U.S. Postal Service, Book Says | HuffPost

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Didn't the post office also get fucked when Congress pushed them to fully vest the pensions/etc for workers? Many saw that as a thinly veiled attempt to push them towards privatization or to kill postal worker unions if memory serves.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Didn't the post office also get fucked when Congress pushed them to fully vest the pensions/etc for workers? Many saw that as a thinly veiled attempt to push them towards privatization or to kill postal worker unions if memory serves.

One of the stupid things the Rs did during Obama's first term, yes.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I order for Amazon almost daily and I'd say maybe 1/10 th the packages I received are delivered by USPS. The overwhelming majority are delivered by UPS.
Hmm. Might be a area thing.
I have 51 orders in the past 6 months and everyone of them came USPS. Many on SUNDAY which the USPS delivers only Amazon on as far as I am aware.
The USPS is running in the red for 10 years straight. Bezos gained 53 billion this past year in value. Amazon is getting a wild deal but as already said Amazon nor the USPS sets those prices. If the USPS is taking a hit due to Amazon then it needs raised. If the USPS is taking a hit due to decreased mail volume, ad flyers and pensions and shit then I don't know. If I did I wouldn't be typing this fucking message.

edit-fixered it Tucan Sam

Last edited:
  • 1Like