Retro and New Video Game Picture/Video Thread

Szlia

I don't hit many boxes in your list of grievances: My 'ancient' consoles work fine. The sound from the custom RGB scart cable out of my Turbo Duo is messed up, but the console also has a headphone jack built in so this took care of that. You sometime have to fight a little with NES or Megadrive/Genesis cartridges, but that's about all. 2nd hand CDs were mostly bought from reputable sources or checked before being bought, so scratches are not an issue, I have not bought a game on eBay in the last decade and I don't remember ever paying a ridiculous price for anything (most of thegamesthat now sell for more than their original price are things I bought at the time of their release or things that do not interest me - I don't buygamesjust because they are rare - so 99% of what I bought years after their release date I bought for less than a third of the original retail price).

Storage though is slowly becoming a problem. We gathered a collective archive with a friend from the late '90s to the end of the first decade of 2k that is probably a couple thousandgamesworth (mostly press versions of european releases) that is all packed and stored. Still, my personal archive (mostly retail versions of japanese releases) gathered since the early '90s (plus a few things from childhood) is not getting smaller any time soon since I resell nothing.

Playing with RGB cables on CRT screens with original controllers is playing thegameshow they are meant to be played and, even if tremendous progresses have been made in emulation (especially when it comes to visual filters), it's still not quite the same. I would not say that's being a hipster though, because it's not like I am trying to pretend that allgamesmade after 1985 are crap or that the quality of a title is proportional to its degree of obscurity. It's just a hobby. Avideogame archive that gathers content (thegames) and para-content (the boxes, the user manuals, the special peripherals, etc).

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Console hipster confirmed. You have very little time left before you develop full blown faggotry. Your case is probably too far gone for any treatment, but just in case it isn't, let me prescribe the following:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I love console hipsters. Who else would pay good money for a non-functional Atari Jaguar, non-functional IntelliVision with talk module, and all the piles of easily emulatedgamesI've sold on eBay the last couple years? And be happy to get that crap?

Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Siliconemelons

Had to go search for my favoriteretroguilty pleasure, the Virtual Boy... good lord have those prices inflated- I need a new stand clip and its like 50$

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
tumblr_mjkl23CcWg1s8nfcgo1_400.gif

Console hipster confirmed. You have very little time left before you develop full blown faggotry. Your case is probably too far gone for any treatment, but just in case it isn't, let me prescribe the following:

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Had to go search for my favoriteretroguilty pleasure, the Virtual Boy... good lord have those prices inflated- I need a new stand clip and its like 50$
See, this one I can completely understand. You can't emulate three dimensional red and black vector graphics, the joy of trying to maneuver your face into a mask on a short stand that you can't adjust, or the neck, back, and eye pain which results from playing more than 15 minutes on such a shitty device.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, but, instead of putting up with ancient consoles that don't work,gamesthat are scratched or have loose circuitry, buying ancientgamesfor ridiculous prices off Ebay, and storing all those silly pieces of plastic... you could just download and emulate them.

I mean, maybe you're going to claim that playing on the actual console with the actual game is part of the experience. But that just makes you a console hipster. Don't be a console hipster.
There are so many technical aspects of playing a non-emulated game on a CRT that you're leaving out. Playing an old console on an emulator and/or on an LCD/LED has so very many downsides. The only real upside to using emulation and/or a CRT is convenience.

Also, a hipster does things ironically so I think you're completely misunderstanding that word.

Szlia

The most critical one is the difference in screen technology. There are post-processing effects that exist to give a CRT look to emulatedgameson LCD screens, but, at a fundamental level, it can never look like a CRT.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Nec hipster wuwu!

rrr_img_92048.jpg
Awesome dude! I love the TG16/PC Engine/Turbo Duo....I love anything from NEC lol. I had the TG16 growing up as a kid and it's one of my favorite consoles. Owning the Turbo Duo as a kid was a dream for me since I could never afford one at $299 back in '92. I do have a burned copy of Lords of Thunder and Gate of Thunder for MagicEngine and love those shooters. I also have a copy of Rondo of Blood and Gradius 2. I think after SOTN, Rondo is the second best Castlevania game ever. Gradius 2 is hard as fuck!

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Yeah, but, instead of putting up with ancient consoles that don't work,gamesthat are scratched or have loose circuitry, buying ancientgamesfor ridiculous prices off Ebay, and storing all those silly pieces of plastic... you could just download and emulate them.

I mean, maybe you're going to claim that playing on the actual console with the actual game is part of the experience. But that just makes you a console hipster. Don't be a console hipster.
I do this, but not for any 'hipster' experience. I feel as if I owe these awesomegamesof old something, as if it's my responsibility to play them as they are.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still play with my sega mega drive. I don't know why you call hipster who does that but who cares...

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I've found it's rare for an emulator tofeellike the console game did. I'm enjoying playing old SNESgameson an actual SNES, mostly for that reason.