Retro and New Video Game Picture/Video Thread

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Death Track. Probably the first game I played religiously

rrr_img_66929.gif
It's amazing how terrible I am at this game now. I guess because I'm not playing with one of these shitty joysticks we had. That and I'm too lazy to slow the CPU down in Dosbox to a level that makes it playable.
rrr_img_92306.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Saw some love forretrogamesin FSR, thought I would share some of my babies:
(I'm clearly not a photographer)

The Mega Man series:
rrr_img_93011.jpg

Some outstanding Capcom Disneygames:
rrr_img_93012.jpg

Some well-loved classics:
rrr_img_93013.jpg

The original Castlevania trilogy:
rrr_img_93014.jpg

Another "sort of" trilogy:
rrr_img_93015.jpg

Bunch of Camericagames:
rrr_img_93016.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
A few more:

Some more excellent titles:
rrr_img_93017.jpg

Some more (LOVE Bucky O'Hare):
rrr_img_93018.jpg

Some hidden gems:
rrr_img_93019.jpg

A bunch of surprisingly polished actiongames:
rrr_img_93020.jpg

And another few highly enjoyablegames:
rrr_img_93021.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
No lie, Startropics is probably my favorite NES game that isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior related. I hate to say it, but that is a damn good selection ofgamesTanoomba. Props for having Powerblade as well. It was megaman without all the standard bullshit megaman cheapness.

I mean, seriously.
rrr_img_93022.png

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
^ Good NES collection, but I noticed it's missing this....

images
That's an astute observation!
I remember reading about Little Samson in Nintendo Power, but to this day I have never seen a copy of it anywhere. Luckily, I was able to get the Famicom version while I was in Japan:

rrr_img_93026.jpg

No lie, Startropics is probably my favorite NES game that isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior related. I hate to say it, but that is a damn good selection ofgamesTanoomba. Props for having Powerblade as well. It was megaman without all the standard bullshit megaman cheapness.
Agreed, StarTropics was fantastic. Never released in Japan, oddly enough!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Where is Faxanadu?
Fucking Faxanadu. I probably rented that game a dozen times as a kid, and could never get anywhere. I just wandered around and couldn't figure out what in the hell to do or where to go. It was almost as frustrating as Goonies II and Rygar. I beleived for YEARS that all 3 of thosegameshad no ending, they just looped forever, as I had never met anyone that had beaten them. Until the internet became a thing and I saw walkthroughs/videos for them. In the days of nothing but magazines and strategy guides, you were boned if you got stuck and there was no guide available.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Faxanadu is one of those hipstergamespeople like to use as cred, but it really wasn't that good if you actually played the fucking thing from start to finish.

StarTropics is another one although it was certainly better than Faxanadu.

Bothgameswere certainly better than the majority ofgamesreleased for the system, but they don't really deserve the acclaim that the Marios, Zeldas, MegaMans, the actually widely recognized and appreciatedgamesdo.

PowerBlade on the other hand was really really good.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Faxanadu was made a lot better once you realized that at the beginning of the game when the King gives you 1500 gold, if you manage to spend exactly all 1500 on supplies/gear he'll just give you 1500 again. For it's time, game was solid.

Goonies II? Beat that shit a couple times when I was a kid, was always annoying though.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah you could get all the J keys you want, but that doesn't change the fact that once you reached the World Tree the game became a really confusing and frustrating platformer.

Siliconemelons

Faxanadu is one of those hipstergamespeople like to use as cred, but it really wasn't that good if you actually played the fucking thing from start to finish.

StarTropics is another one although it was certainly better than Faxanadu.

Bothgameswere certainly better than the majority ofgamesreleased for the system, but they don't really deserve the acclaim that the Marios, Zeldas, MegaMans, the actually widely recognized and appreciatedgamesdo.

PowerBlade on the other hand was really really good.
If you did /actually/ finish Faxanadu from start to end you should get cred - different sprites for your character for every weapon, shield, magic and armor, sprawling game map and world with distinct sections and zones with out "stages" or "levels"- it is much a metroidvania before that was a thing- I put it up there with CV2 on old school one world game worlds that yes- today are quite clunky (CV2 was waaaay clunky while faxanadu is just kinda confusing) - it had things like you could get the best armor and magic just outside the 1st town if you found the store and grinded the money lol. The plot..while poorly conveyed (again...what game sans pure RPGs managed that decently well on the NES?) was actually good.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
rrr_img_93055.jpg

Rygar was one of the first NESgamesI ever owned. My dad actually stayed up playing it and woke me and my brother up to watch him beat it. It wasn't until years later that I beat it on my own... It was kind of bittersweet. Beat Goonies 2 too (as a child), but I might have gotten a bit of help from Nintendo Power. Certainly wouldn't want to attempt it again without a guide. Never beat Faxanadu. Love the open world in a tree, love the soundtrack, but the game was confusing as fuck and the combat was pretty terrible.

Here's the whole collection (minus Faxanadu, which I forgot to put back) in tiers:

rrr_img_93056.jpg

rrr_img_93057.jpg

rrr_img_93058.jpg

rrr_img_93059.jpg

And the whole shebang:

rrr_img_93060.jpg

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I played the shit out of it, the game isn't as bad as I'm acting, but people throw it out there like it's something special. It was something okay at a time when mostgamesweren't. You say first Metroidvania but it came out after Metroid and wasn't as good as that game and it came out after Castlevania and wasn't as good as that game either, nevermind Castlevania 3, which I think it did come out before.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_93055.jpg

Rygar was one of the first NESgamesI ever owned. My dad actually stayed up playing it and woke me and my brother up to watch him beat it. It wasn't until years later that I beat it on my own... It was kind of bittersweet. Beat Goonies 2 too (as a child), but I might have gotten a bit of help from Nintendo Power. Certainly wouldn't want to attempt it again without a guide. Never beat Faxanadu. Love the open world in a tree, love the soundtrack, but the game was confusing as fuck and the combat was pretty terrible.

Here's the whole collection (minus Faxanadu, which I forgot to put back) in tiers:

rrr_img_93056.jpg

rrr_img_93057.jpg

rrr_img_93058.jpg

rrr_img_93059.jpg

And the whole shebang:

rrr_img_93060.jpg
Looks like you cleaned up lol...what happened to your futon? C'mon show them your Japanese stuff
wink.png
Those colored Famicom carts are beautiful. Don't forget that awesome SNES/Super Famicom collection too
wink.png