Revival - Lovecraftian Horror Roleplaying Sandbox MMORPG

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
Surprised to not find a thread on this game here already... it seems to be the ultimate wet dream of pretty much everyone here that wants MMO gaming to mean something again.

Revival

It's releasing in modules, starting with the housing module very soon. Housing is in the persistent world, and because of that, limited numbers are available. You can actually buy a house right now in the store on the website. But it's not currently a crowdfunded game, they're funding it internally.

One of the big features is their plan to have 24/7 real time DMs who actually will create content that involves players in the world and lore.

Being built by Illfonic, the guys building the FPS module for Star Citizen.

I really can't say enough good things about it, it has easily shot up to the top of my list. The systems are incredible. If you get a house now, you are a founder and get access to an IRC with the devs and they are super responsive. Listening to them talk you know this is a passion project that has been well thought out.

There really aren't more words I can say to do it justice... just go to the site and check out every single blog article and spend some time on the forums to see the responses of the lead designer and others.

You'll leave every page with a "holy shit, I can't believe they're doing this" grin on your face
smile.png

rrr_img_91464.jpg

rrr_img_91465.jpg

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I don't know, I feel like the way they are going to release it is going to kill any sort of excitement. They've essentially committed to slowly rolling out features over 6 or 7 waves (not sure how long between each) which sounds like a really nasty form of Early Access. So, housing, then exploring an offline city, then exploring an online city, then crafting, then combat and adventure, then the full game? That sounds entirely fucked to me but maybe people really into housing are psyched.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wonder what price they will be asking for the Estate's. I can see them doing an auction for those(no price mentioned yet for them).

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
While I love the theme they seem to be going for, I do not trust a company that throws up pixles for sale to the tune of over $400+ before even the website is complete.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
So what kind of game is it?
What up Draegan.

At it's core, it's an open world sandbox with a huge emphasis on systems that really let players do anything they want to do. I know that sounds pie-in-the-sky crazy, but after poking at it, and the lead developers for a couple weeks, I'm convinced.

Sure, they're a smaller studio without all of the funding so it's got that risk, but that also means they can take all of the chances they need to. I'm convinced they have the design and execution chops to do this.

- It's worth spending time scanning through the web site... at least thePhilosophyandFeaturessections.
- Also check out all of theirblogarticles (15 as of yesterday)
- Forums(they haven't been open that long so not daunting, and there's a handy fan-madedev-tracker here:Revival Dev Tracker)

Knowing what I know about you, this game is squarely in your wheelhouse. After the research I've done, it addresses every crazy note and thought I've written down over the past 10 years. These guys are us, with the added means to execute on their ideas.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
While I love the theme they seem to be going for, I do not trust a company that throws up pixles for sale to the tune of over $400+ before even the website is complete.
It's might be a crazy proportion at this early stage for sure. They have tenements available for like $35, and since that too gets you access to the dev IRC channel it's worth the price of admission for that alone.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
It's might be a crazy proportion at this early stage for sure. They have tenements available for like $35, and since that too gets you access to the dev IRC channel it's worth the price of admission for that alone.
Hmmm dunno if I agree. Still think its a bit on the shady side to sell real estate before you finished building your website.

But other then that, it seems like a nice idea. Cynical bastards like myself will of course point out all the probl. flaws in their reasoning around the systems and some other crowd will go the "fucking vaporware" route, but all in all I wish them good luck. Hell it might even become a decent game since its not from one of the big publishers who continues their struggle to fuck everything up just to piss us off
smile.png

bwuceli_sl

shitlord
Hmmm, consider me interested, I've always been a Lovecraft fanboy. So I'll buy, play, read anything related to Lovecraft.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well, I've been burned by a major hyped up 'MMO' set in London before.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Very impressed from the looks of this. Obviously looks don't equal execution, but they'venailedthe right atmosphere: when almost every single MMO, from late EverQuest, to WoW, up to even Crowfall goes the cartoony, Disney-esque route in not just artwork, but in ambiance, environment, and content, doingthisreally stands out.

I'm going to say something controversial and even insulting regarding this industry: it's because most modern artists and content designers cannot pull this off appropriately; they're not skilled enough. It'smucheasier to do the comic-styled looking characters and feel. It's disappointing that the industry is reduced to nothing but that. Butthis...

The atmosphere really reminds me of Shadowgate / Alone in the Dark, both I absolutely adore. I haven't read much yet on the site - are they doing a KS?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm going to say something controversial and even insulting regarding this industry: it's because most modern artists and content designers cannot pull this off appropriately; they're not skilled enough.
I suspect choice of art style (and the accompanying hardware demands) is the industry learning from the cataclysmic launches of games like Vanguard and EQ2. The most common GPU on Steam is Intel HD 4000. Dual CPU still outnumbers Quad. We can fap to still-shots showing a nitty-gritty scene with nice bump mapping but until they show me this running on a toaster in Low, its all pointless. Maybe the industry needs another reminder on why "realistic" graphics don't work.

I know you'll say "niche" and "don't need to appeal to the LCD". Shrug. Maybe it'll work.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
The atmosphere really reminds me of Shadowgate / Alone in the Dark, both I absolutely adore. I haven't read much yet on the site - are they doing a KS?
+1 for Alone in the Dark!

They're not doing a Kickstarter or crowdfunding at the moment... they are funding internally, with a boost from housing and (soon) boat sales. (There's a boat blog coming next week.)

There's so much great info on the site, it blows my mind. Every time I go back there I find out something amazing I didn't know. For example, even the trees in the world grow over time. o_O

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I suspect choice of art style (and the accompanying hardware demands) is the industry learning from the cataclysmic launches of games like Vanguard and EQ2. The most common GPU on Steam is Intel HD 4000. Dual CPU still outnumbers Quad. We can fap to still-shots showing a nitty-gritty scene with nice bump mapping but until they show me this running on a toaster in Low, its all pointless. Maybe the industry needs another reminder on why "realistic" graphics don't work.

I know you'll say "niche" and "don't need to appeal to the LCD". Shrug. Maybe it'll work.
FYI this game seems to have 'rich people are our target audience' written all over it. I think they are banking on their whales being enthusiast gamers with above average hardware.

-live staff of 'dungeon masters' conducting live events and directly engaging players.
-DMs choose which players participate by how much 'SP' (in game currency) they have.
-SP are earned by playing, or can bepurchased.

You are literally going to be able to pay for on demand content. If done right, this game is going to make a billion dollars.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Buying real estate in MMO's seems to be the new thing. I guess Second Life and Entropia formula is going mainstream.

I can remember an initiative from a long time ago, where you could buy/pre-order swathes of a fantasyworld. For farming and hunting and such. Indy project. Never heard about it since.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
FYI this game seems to have 'rich people are our target audience' written all over it. I think they are banking on their whales being enthusiast gamers with above average hardware.

-live staff of 'dungeon masters' conducting live events and directly engaging players.
-DMs choose which players participate by how much 'SP' (in game currency) they have.
-SP are earned by playing, or can bepurchased.

You are literally going to be able to pay for on demand content. If done right, this game is going to make a billion dollars.
Well, they'd get my money if they executed. I don't mean this insultingly, but I don't want riff raff in my game. Thatdoesn't mean poor gamers- it means retards with little inclination to personally invest in their character or the game. I'm well aware that includes the wealthy, but generally speaking, a high cost to entry will keep most of the retards away.

I've always said I would pay ~$50 for a EverQuest monthly sub just so the quality of people on the server would be worthwhile. I want an immersive experience, not talking about boobs and farts in the barrens.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else excited to pay $50/mo to play with a few thousand Dumars?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man I've been bitching for the GMs hosting custom events thing for over a decade. Why has this virtually disappeared from the genre after early Everquest? Wow's prescripted aq type events and ffxiv evolving storyline are cool but those are just content patches/updates. Stuff like gm sanctioned best-of-the-best in eq, random other events like treasure hunts. It's about time someone did that again. Just not sure why it's supposed to be some amazing selling point and a premium service when dynamic content should have been an important part of mmos all this time(and one of the main things that should have separated them from multiplayer arena games). If they're gonna charge up the ass for it then it better have damn good story lines, GM controlled raid bosses / raid events and other shit like that.