Revival - Lovecraftian Horror Roleplaying Sandbox MMORPG

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great new blog post on dungeons in the game; Gives some insight into combat and how the systems in the game work.

Leave what you think you know at the door
smile.png

Revival - Weekly Blog Update #34: Dungeons

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Someone has to.

For all of the old-school posing that goes on around here, I thought for sure there'd be more discussion.
I'm sure to many of the posters here selling digital housing/land/items for money before a game even exists sends off warning bells. I suspect there will be discussion if and when there is an actual game to discuss.

Wow, I just had a look. They are selling some houses for $400. I hope a bunch of nerds don't get fleeced on this one.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sure to many of the posters here selling digital housing/land/items for money before a game even exists sends off warning bells. I suspect there will be discussion if and when there is an actual game to discuss.
Sure, I get that.

But this community in the past has always had some smart people who enjoyed discussing/speculating on these types of games, systems, etc. Was hoping for more of an exchange with like minds who took the time to learn about what is known, etc.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
There's not much to discuss. Theorizing has gone the way of the dinosaur with a lot of MMOs these days. We've learned our lesson. I played the Amnesia games, and some of the Lovecraftian horror type stuff is usually interesting. I looked at their blog and I'm not impressed so far. Its mostly words and some illustrations, with little of actual substance. There's plenty of that on the net already.

I've been playing MMOs and other games for a long time, horror is one of my most favorite genres, and I love seeing it in those rare moments in MMOs.

I'm just not seeing much here. The only actual game media they've shown is mostly housing textures.

This game could turn out well, but until they progress further along, I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Sure, I get that.

But this community in the past has always had some smart people who enjoyed discussing/speculating on these types of games, systems, etc. Was hoping for more of an exchange with like minds who took the time to learn about what is known, etc.
Well, here's a discussion point I guess. Illfonic has an awful track record in their short history. The current 'indefinite delay' with the Star Citizen FPS module that was due in April certainly isn't inspiring confidence.

You seem to be well versed on the project. What about this team has convinced you that they will be able to pull off what they are pitching? As it stands, their only released game (a twitchy FPS) was underwhelming at best, and their first foray into the AAA space isn't going very well.

Why should we care about Revival?

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, here's a discussion point I guess. Illfonic has an awful track record in their short history. The current 'indefinite delay' with the Star Citizen FPS module that was due in April certainly isn't inspiring confidence.

You seem to be well versed on the project. What about this team has convinced you that they will be able to pull off what they are pitching? As it stands, their only released game (a twitchy FPS) was underwhelming at best, and their first foray into the AAA space isn't going very well.

Why should we care about Revival?
Well, I'd prefer a discussion on the announced game systems and their potential to change the status quo. But this is kind of a cynic's approach, and I really feel we as gamers need to find a way to stop leading with that. Anyway.

There's no doubt there's a risk to the project, from a financial, technical, logistical and creative perspective. But the Illfonic team has earned enough credit with me to help them try. I've been hanging around since January and watched how the developers interact; it's the way they matter-of-factly answer questions. It's as if the game is already running, they are so certain of their designs.

And speaking of the design, they are preparing to put all of their actual design documentation online in a wiki very soon. I think that says a lot about their confidence and desire to do things differently.

Two of the lead developers were original narrative and design leads on RIFT (in fact, created the lore and many of the systems in that game.) They talk about how many of the ideas in Revival were originally conceived during RIFT development, but ultimately kept getting yanked from the design because they wouldn't be compatible with the mainstream target audience the publisher was hoping to attract. The rug was pulled out from under them and that's why they're so intent and excited to finally be able to call the shots and make the game they've been wanting to make for 10 years. So they have experience.

Also, it's important to note they are not crowdfunding this. Illfonic is privately funded; one of the partners is a successful artist and producer in the music industry, which no doubt helps.

And in getting to know them? They are us. Except with the means to execute.

All of these things are reasons I believe in the team and their effort.

Re: Star Citizen FPS. I don't think Illfonic's part has much if anything to do with the delays they are facing. The actual FPS design, mechanics, modes, gameplay, etc are being handled by Illfonic and not really where the problem is rooted.

Also, you have to look at what can only be called an exodus of senior production management at CIG. That has to be taken into account, especially as they try to right the ship. Ultimately, I don't believe Illfonic's involvement in Star Citizen has any real bearing on their capabilities to execute on Revival. They are also separate teams.

Why should we care about Revival? I truly believe this is the real innovation we've been saying we all wanted for a decade.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The 'announced' game systems are almost entirely unworthy of discussion. From what I can see, this game is years from seeing the light of day. Yet, they are coming hot out of the gates selling $400 parcels of land in a zone that only exists on a map. People are buying them up based on a paragraph, a couple screenshots, and a lot of promises. Questioning this business practice isn't cynicism, it's just good sense. MMORPGs are the most complex type of digital entertainment to bring to market, and an unproven studio asking for money for as of yet non existent content deserves all the skepticism in the world from gamers.

I'm very glad to hear some people on their team came from Rift. That was a pretty decent MMO for its time that never got enough credit.

I suggest reading up on IllFonic's involvement on the StarCitizen FPS Module. From my understanding they are 100% responsible for that part of the game, and Roberts rejected their work so far for it 'just not being good enough'. It has been delayed indefinitely. All I'm saying is to temper your expectations before opening your wallet too wide.

Aside from all that, the game certainly sounds awesome, and these guys are saying all the things my little dork heart wants to hear. Has there been any in-game footage yet, or is it all just down on paper?

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's a common misconception, I think; and of course it's a fine line. They aren't asking for money; they are offering a limited selection of real estate in the game's first city for founders, but entirely unnecessary to play the game nor part of their funding plan. And pricing (and the majority of properties) are in the $35 range. It will help speed up development, sure, but is not crowd "funding" as it is for SC and others. Who knows, maybe in the future when there is more concrete stuff to show and talk about, they'll do it.

They've done a handful of developer live streams where they have shown off the housing client that they'll be releasing soon. Running around inside of the various styles from tenements to cottages to estates. Showing off the furniture placement systems and stuff. VODs are on their Twitch channel.

Many years ago, while these forums were still in their original home, I made a thread about how there are very few developers who can step up and make these complex games anymore, and even fewer publishers who are willing to take the risk. We had to find a new model for building and funding these games where it doesn't take 10 years and $200 million dollars. Of course, it was met with exactly the response you'd expect. But that was an era before crowdfunding and the WoW goggles were still firmly attached to the face of many players.

I think this phased development and release model (like SC) is exactly that -- a wholesale change in how projects of this complexity and this expense can be executed. Revival is taking this approach to a new level and will be the key to getting it done.

I realize I'm coming off like a rabid fanboy, but I've been around the block as long or longer than most of you guys have and I believe Revival is the most important thing to happen to our genre is long time. I hope upon pray that it happens, and even if something along the line causes it to not, I'm still more than glad to support these ideas and someone who is willing to try them. I hope it influences other designers.

Later, I'll find some interesting systems and ways to present them so we can keep discussion focused on the potential of the game rather than looking at ways it can fail
smile.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The original Rift design team was awful before Scott got there. From what people have said the game was basically unplayable full of shitty systems. It was basically totally revamped.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sure, I get that.

Generally speaking, the forums have derided cash grab games, and anything pay to win or similar gets most of us writing it off instantly. The fact that stuff to do in the game apparently directly correlates with how much you spend on the game, aside from box fee and sub price/whatever, is just not something that the mmo forums crew really get into. It's why day one DLC, or cash shop stuff giving a greatly enhanced experience vs. not spending extra money tends to get shat upon by the armchair devs.

With the way it has been marketed here (your posts literally drip community outreach representative for the company, and each one comes off as obvious shilling) there's not a lot to talk about. It's a game that is years out from being complete; it isn't releasing in finished form; it is highly marketed at the audience who drops chunks of money to speed up artificial timers in games (farmville and other mobile crap with timed regeneration resources); it has concept art and interior decorating, with zero gameplay revealed. It's also an IP without an existing fanbase aside from the generic lovecraft setting, so there's no precedence. On top of that, in the very first post it references an incomplete aspect of another game as their claim to fame.

I'm pretty sure the folks who generally congregate here in the mmo forum, and the armchair devs who annoy everyone with giant walls of text on mechanics and shit (guilty as charged) are not the target audience, and the initial sales pitch didn't inspire interest or confidence in any way.

Just, you know, saying. It might be great. But it really looks like vaporware with clear pay to win intentions from the outside, and that's just not interesting to talk about.

Edit: and the worst thing, Dumar is interested in it. That's the wrong type of publicity for a game.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
What's most important for this game isn't the writing, the lore, the creativity behind the development team. So far that looks fantastic, and for a Lovecraft fan, bordering on orgasmic.

What needs focus is the technical expertise behind the game: game and server code, animations, the engine. WoW was not successful as it was because of gameplay design. The designers rode the coattails of the engineers who developed the engine and the technical artists who developed the animations. You could put a monkey on a typewriter, shitting out game designs for WoW and it would've been just as successful because it feels so good to play -- thanks to the engineers.

That's where the focus, ALL the focus, needs to be right now.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
Friday's blog was a doozy, all about (not having) quests, but how the world will work to draw and leader players to create their own adventures.

Revival - Weekly Blog Update #35 - The Greatest Adventure

I think this thinking is what we need going forward... wether Revival can deliver it, or it ends up being someone else. We just can't have more of the same garbage with little "tweaks" to systems here and there; I think Revival may be the post important game for the genre to come along in 10 years. Star Citizen is up there too, but not for all of the same reasons.

And before you say it, yes, there is risk with the project -- but at this point who else is even trying?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
EQN devs basically said something similar to that philosophy - developer created content will never be able to match pace with player content consumption. Their aims were to provide scenarios and world states such that the players can create their own content/stories (cue StoryBricks).

I don't think Daybreak will be the studio to perfect it, but I applaud them for trying (if they do). Good on these guys working on Revival for giving it a shot too.