Rift: Planes of Telara

Sidhe

<Banned>
Basically, what you've done is taken the leveling game (which we both agree is terrible) and extrapolated it to the endgame.

We don't disagree that the modern design of an easy leveling game that you can't possibly fail at is terrible. But if you're going to make generic statements that build doesn't matter and that no one can to better, then you can at least qualify that what you're actually saying is that even a bad build can survive casual content. Yes, RIFT has in recent years been re-designed to allow 1-2 good players to carry 3 400 DPS children through a 5-man, given enough time to complete it. But those 3 bad players aren't just playing differently because they haven't done their homework. They're actually playing terribly, and it's entirely because they don't research builds. Speaking just from a DPS standpoint, you're talking about many multiples of damage greater on a well-crafted build. A bad tank is just unusable. The only case where I might agree would be for healers, because until the raid level you can very easily get by with just about any build/focus. To say that that's how "these games" work is ludicrous. Did you think Diablo II builds were all just about the same as well?

To even suggest that you didn't gain experience in RIFT through hours of painful raid wipes. Wow. Sicaron and Grugonim would like to have a word with you. And my notes on HK/ID bosses were pages long sometimes. We'd go in blind with extra tanks and extra healers just because we didn't know what was coming. We'd use parsers (P.S. your guild leaders in EQ did this as well) to even figure out what was happening to us when we died, because there are no strats the day a dungeon comes out.

I like old games too. A lot. But you seem to have crafted a worldview that modern games require nothing of the player, and you're sticking to it. Is a training dummy a useful tool? Sure. Did it mean I didn't have to stealth through HK ambushing bosses to find out whether Trion had increased armor for t3 raid bosses (by the way, they had)? Nope. Regardless, character building is meant to be a cerebral process. Like I said before, this is an RPG, not an action game. The fact that we got a team of people together cooperating and experimenting and sharing findings should be enough.

You really are speaking from nostalgia. Casting spells on yourself to see what they did? Even Ultima Online published spell formulas. You just played a game that didn't and you really liked those memories. Most of the experiences you're looking for (see my point above about hours/days of raid wipes) are even still there, they're just repackaged.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Big whoop. I was actually impressed in 1999 when guilds would master the game because they had to do everything with trial and error, and huge amounts of pain from failed raid wipes and whatnot, and some legendary necro would learn how to pull raid content by himself and everyone would just watch in awe as he did his thing. And you learned how to play through skill and experience because you had nothing to guide you, not even tooltips. You cast spells on yourself to see what it did.
You sound like one of those 60+ year old engineers at work bitching about Excel and calculators and the young whippersnappers getting more done in less time because of them. Some of what you say is true to an extent as far as attitudes but what you're saying is tantamount to "I was impressed in 1962 when the spectroscopic identification of one organic compound was a whole Ph.D. thesis, now kids just use the spectrometer to explore a huge amount of compound variations for a thesis. Back in my day, we tasted every chemical we made!" Yeah...

Yeah.... so? What's wrong with that? Someone working out a sum on paper or in their head, great. Someone typing it in to a calculator and hitting the equals sign... do you expect me to be impressed or something?

Where your analogy fails is that calculating something like that makes total sense to me. I would never work something out on paper if I could just do it on a calculator or in a spreadsheet. But we aren't talking about mathematics, we're talking about virtual fantasy worlds and games, and it's a matter of fun - not convenience. And if you explore one of these worlds with no map and no hand holding, and then you try it the modern way where you get lead by the nose, one way is clearly more fun than the other.

Basically, what you've done is taken the leveling game (which we both agree is terrible) and extrapolated it to the endgame.
No. I said 10 times that I accept the end game could be completely different. The problem is that not everyone cares about the end game. I hate raiding in general, I have been doing it for 14 years and it wasn't even much fun in the first year. And besides the people who don't like it, there are also the people who just wont even reach that point.

In other words, the end game could be the greatest gaming experience in history, but it wouldn't make me feel any kinder about Rift because the end game is such a tiny part of the whole game. The levelling game should not be a disposable crappy 1 to 2 month experience. It should be a good part of the game too. And the same goes for the WF's and the dungeon runs. And if you hang in there to 50+ like I did, you should at least be rewarded with some good dungeons and/or good PVP content. But you don't get that.

We don't disagree that the modern design of an easy leveling game that you can't possibly fail at is terrible. But if you're going to make generic statements that build doesn't matter and that no one can to better, then you can at least qualify that what you're actually saying is that even a bad build can survive casual content.
I did qualify it. The majority of the game is 'casual content', hence build does not matter. It might change for top end raids but that's no consolation to everyone else.

Yes, RIFT has in recent years been re-designed to allow 1-2 good players to carry 3 400 DPS children through a 5-man, given enough time to complete it.
No that's putting it too lightly. The 5 man content was originally very challenging and good fun. It's now ridiculous. Maybe it has changed again since you last played it, but in this past month at least, the 5 man content doesn't need anyone to carry anyone. Let loose 5 monkeys with keyboards and they'll reach the end, and it wont even take long. The whole thing has been completely re-tuned to the point where you can't loose. The boss encounters are incredibly child-proofed, and the mobs in general die in seconds even if you just randomly bash buttons.

Again, maybe it changes at level 60, but again, that's no consolation to the majority of players.

But those 3 bad players aren't just playing differently because they haven't done their homework. They're actually playing terribly, and it's entirely because they don't research builds.
Nah. Everyone copies a build off the web now, it's just what kids do these days and I don't think it even crosses their minds that they would be better trying things out for themselves.

And there is very little synergy to the hotkey rotation too. Most of them can be spammed in a random order and it doesn't matter, there are only one or two things that rely on pressing something else first. But even the order you press the keys... people just copy that off the web these days too. So they are barely even playing the game. They are just pressing keys that someone else told them to press.

The bad players in my perspective, are bad because they are fucking morons. Like a group I was with the other day, the tank spent the entire time jumping just because they have ADHD or something. They knew none of the encounters because it was their first time in the dungeon, and although I offered to explain what to do, they just charged in to every single fight without even stopping. So they would die and say WTF, and it was to simple things like when the boss does the dumbed down emote, "Gargaraathath fixes his lazer beams at your head, you better hide!" Either these kids don't read English, or are just so hyper and stupid that they miss it, and yet don't even have the patience to stand still for 10 seconds prior to the fight to let me explain what they need to do. Those are the bad players, and even with a group full of people like that, they still steamroll through the majority of content in the game.

Speaking just from a DPS standpoint, you're talking about many multiples of damage greater on a well-crafted build. A bad tank is just unusable. The only case where I might agree would be for healers, because until the raid level you can very easily get by with just about any build/focus. To say that that's how "these games" work is ludicrous. Did you think Diablo II builds were all just about the same as well?
It's exactly how "these games work" because "these games" are stupid, dumbed down, hacky slashy action games for hyperactive sugar pumped 12 year olds.

And again, yeah it might suddenly get deep if you bother to grind through to level 60 and then want to do some raids. But again, some of us aren't interested in that anyway. If I want to do some finely tuned linear raid 'instances' I already have several games I could be doing that on. For me the attraction of Rift was the variety of one minute doing dungeons, then some warfronts, then some questing and then getting sidetracked in to a bit of open world PVP. And they almost did a good job of it too, but they fell short, and then apparently in the year or so since, they screwed it up even more taking it even further away from being great. The fact that you dig the top 2% raid content is no consolation.

I like old games too. A lot. But you seem to have crafted a worldview that modern games require nothing of the player, and you're sticking to it.
Pretty much. But not only that, I didn't even think old games required much from the player either ----> when it came to raiding. I hate raiding. Even in EQ, my experience of it was that you would show up on a pickup raid or one with a guild, and someone would already know what was required. They would spell out the entire process to everyone first, and then you would attempt it together. So for everyone other than the guild leader, there was no real exploration or trial and error or trying to figure things out, that had already been done. And then as for the actual mechanics of it, again, the bulk of the work was done by the puller, some crazy monk or necro who would do all the difficult splitting, carefully looked after by the star healer. But everyone else just stood huddled in a corner somewhere picking their nose, and eventually the mob would be brought to them on a plate, and then you spammed out your well rehearsed routine. Raids suck. I far prefer group content.

The only time I enjoyed raids was in a private server I once played which was pretty great. The encounters were difficult and complex, and never tank n spank. There were spell reflect shields popping up and adds that would show up and needed to be charmed and mobs that blasted you backwards in to lava etc. All kinds of stuff, and it needed to be worked out because guilds competed with each other so kept the strategies secret. Part of a guilds success was figuring out how to do a raid, and if no other guild had worked it out yet, that one guild was the top dog and was getting regular phat loot that was the best on the server, because they had got their shit together sooner and beat the challenge. And it also included individual players because usually, everyone had something to work out and contribute. Even some lowly necro dps, they might end up needing to kite an invincible add or something. That was all pretty cool. But still..... I prefer standard group play, which sadly seems to be something that nobody even cares about anymore. Everyone is a sheep now, and they just want to solo to max level and then raid.

Like I said before, this is an RPG, not an action game. The fact that we got a team of people together cooperating and experimenting and sharing findings should be enough. You really are speaking from nostalgia. Casting spells on yourself to see what they did? Even Ultima Online published spell formulas. You just played a game that didn't and you really liked those memories. Most of the experiences you're looking for (see my point above about hours/days of raid wipes) are even still there, they're just repackaged.
No, it's an action game.

You are just speaking purely of one tiny thing which you like - the leet raid scene. And maybe it is really good. But like it or not, it's also one tiny part of this game. The rest of the game is weak.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The ultimate "I get carried by my group" posts, +1. If its so fucking easy then why does every group take a goddamn hour to do a 15 minute McDungeon? I guess now most everyone has gear and knows what they are doing so they can carry the worthless shits, but it sure as hell wasn't that way a few months ago.

You're wrong about support. Whenever I got in as support, I'd try to dps for a while - but inevitably, the healer would fall behind because he's using some dumbfuck hybrid dps build that he made himself, or simply sucked at video games. I'd then go chloro and out heal the healer and do all the curing and probably out dps at least one DPS who is using god knows what fuck build. I use my parse to see what abilities people are using and holy shit, the DPS was spamming nothing but AOE attacks on the fucking boss and the cleric is only using one type of heal. Repeat for every dungeon.

Part of the problem is the anti-dps meter, anti-gearscore "I just play for fun" mentality. Guess what, everyone is playing for fun, and you are fucking up their fun with your bullshit build and lazy play. Make the effort or go play by yourself. I had a dozen players on ignore because they were so impossibly bad that we couldn't even finish the dungeon.

And if you are cross-dotting with your warlock in PVP instead of focus firing, you may as well just make a macro to do jumping jacks at the zone in and go afk. You're almost that worthless. Granted, everyone is better off just afking because Rift PVP has never been good. Even SWTOR was better. You can try to ignore the tank/healer godmodes but its useless because all of your allies are fucking focusing them instead of picking off all of the squishy dps in half a second each. And Conquest... wow. What a perfect example of how utterly boring mass PVP is.

Anyway, game is bad and its players are shit. But it could be worse - it could be Everquest 2.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Part of the problem is the anti-dps meter, anti-gearscore "I just play for fun" mentality.Guess what, everyone is playing for fun, and you are fucking up their fun with your bullshit build and lazy play. Make the effort or go play by yourself.
<3 u

The ultimate "I get carried by my group" posts, +1. If its so fucking easy then why does every group take a goddamn hour to do a 15 minute McDungeon?
Uhh, half the dungeons I've played were done in about 15 minutes, I didn't even have time to spend any points I earned along the way. Troll harder prick.

You're wrong about support.
Who mentioned support?

Whenever I got in as support, I'd try to dps for a while - but inevitably, the healer would fall behind because he's using some dumbfuck hybrid dps build that he made himself, or simply sucked at video games. I'd then go chloro and out heal the healer and do all the curing and probably out dps at least one DPS who is using god knows what fuck build.
What's with you people trying to convince everyone that you are so special? This is a game for 12 year olds, nobody gives a fuck what you think you achieved. You can win with your eyes closed, whether it takes 15 minutes or half an hour. I'd love to see you play a real game.

I use my parse to see what abilities people are using and holy shit, the DPS was spamming nothing but AOE attacks on the fucking boss
Maybe they are AFK and left a macro running? And yet they still finish the dungeon.

and the cleric is only using one type of heal. Repeat for every dungeon.
That's because they can. When you play a game so dumb that you can do anything and win, don't
be surprised when nobody puts in any effort.

Part of the problem is the anti-dps meter, anti-gearscore "I just play for fun" mentality. Guess what, everyone is playing for fun, and you are fucking up their fun with your bullshit build and lazy play.
Project harder

Make the effort or go play by yourself. I had a dozen players on ignore because they were so impossibly bad that we couldn't even finish the dungeon.
You are one of those rage quitters aren't you?

And if you are cross-dotting with your warlock in PVP instead of focus firing, you may as well just make a macro to do jumping jacks at the zone in and go afk.
Focus firing? I try that all the time, it's slow with a warlock, I'm the one on the PVP server... I know how things work in 1vs1 and in warfronts. If you want to focus fire, you may as well be a pyro.

You're almost that worthless. Granted, everyone is better off just afking because Rift PVP has never been good. Even SWTOR was better. Anyway, game is bad and its players are shit. But it could be worse - it could be Everquest 2
Get some medication you stupid fucking son of an alcoholic cunt.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I have no idea who you are. I didn't read his post in context to the conversation, which I'm ignorant of. I just singled out some random shit I enjoyed.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your first post was pretty good Qwerty, you should have left it at that. Haven't really followed the conversation since then but it seems to be a little lost in the weeds.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Uhh, half the dungeons I've played were done in about 15 minutes, I didn't even have time to spend any points I earned along the way. Troll harder prick.
Because you were carried by players that have been doing these dungeons for months. Try doing them closer to release and see what results you get. Are you even running a parser? I mean, you were half right - blindly copying builds is bad. Making your own is fine too - IF you actually make the effort to see how it actually performs, and you make no mention of that.

If you did tweak your builds with actual parsing and are blazing your groups DPS every run then good for you and never mind, I guess.

Who mentioned support?
Someone else in between your post walls. Read more.

What's with you people trying to convince everyone that you are so special? This is a game for 12 year olds, nobody gives a fuck what you think you achieved. You can win with your eyes closed, whether it takes 15 minutes or half an hour.
Who is claiming to be special? What achievements were I bragging about? I'm just saying there is an abnormally high ratio of bad players in Rift compared to most other MMOs I have played. If it seems implied that I think I'm the God of Gaming, that's just your butthurt projection.

I have gotten groups that could not finish the dungeon, several times. I just put the obvious retards on ignore so I don't get grouped with them again. I don't rage and tell them they suck or anything like that. Granted, they were a factor in cancelling my sub and deleting the game off my hard drive, but not the sole reason.

I'd love to see you play a real game.
Define a "real game." I'm kind of a big deal in the Hello Kitty Online community.

Maybe they are AFK and left a macro running? And yet they still finish the dungeon.
... if the other 4 players are overgeared with solid builds and know how to play, sure. Exactly my point, thank you.

You are one of those rage quitters aren't you?
I can't remember ever actually having to leave a group, no. Usually the shit players are the first to quit and their replacements finish the zone without issue.

Focus firing? I try that all the time, it's slow with a warlock, I'm the one on the PVP server... I know how things work in 1vs1 and in warfronts. If you want to focus fire, you may as well be a pyro.
Repeating something stupid doesn't make it less stupid. If warlock is that impotent, don't use it. Cross dotting is completely worthless.

Get some medication you stupid fucking son of an alcoholic cunt.
Aww little baby needs a time out. rustled.jpg

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Wow, does leveling from 50 to 60 seem really slow. That or I'm just impatient as fuck. I guess it's not that bad, but I'm used to other games and a few hours per level. I have my vet rewards I haven't used, since I was thinking it'll get even nastier the closer to 60 I get. I remember initially leveling up really quick by doing Rifts. They seem to give far less experience in Storm Legion

I ran some dungeons today and I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed them. I tried a Warfront and really did not enjoy it.

I'm not really too impressed with Storm Legion yet, but at least there are no Pandas.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Compare the penalties to being a drool baby in EQ vs. Wow/Rift. In EQ, you lose hours of xp, do not get any shiny pixels, and lose hits to your reputation (I have no experience in EQ past GoD, dunno how much risk vs. reward has changed in 10 years). In WoW/Rift, as a drool baby, you still level and get shiny pixels. WoW's LFR effectively allows you to be raid geared as a drool baby; there's no penalty except you won't have bleeding edge pixels. Which one is better? Probably the latter from a money making perspective. Look at Path of Exile and the amount of people who play softcore vs. hardcore.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Compare the penalties to being a drool baby in EQ vs. Wow/Rift. In EQ, you lose hours of xp, do not get any shiny pixels, and lose hits to your reputation (I have no experience in EQ past GoD, dunno how much risk vs. reward has changed in 10 years). In WoW/Rift, as a drool baby, you still level and get shiny pixels. WoW's LFR effectively allows you to be raid geared as a drool baby; there's no penalty except you won't have bleeding edge pixels. Which one is better? Probably the latter from a money making perspective. Look at Path of Exile and the amount of people who play softcore vs. hardcore.
DO YOU BESMIRCH MY SOFTCORE HONOR!?! But, seriously, pure hp node builds were soooo boring and we didn't all play in teams. Solo 75+ mapping is brutal in HC. Gotta constantly roll pathetic affixes.

Well look at Mr Special Snowflake here. Got any example builds?
Yeah try 10 50 10, you will destroy 99% of the games content. Or try 50 10 10, same thing. Or 10 10 50. Or 1 2 3, or whatever.

Your first post was pretty good Qwerty, you should have left it at that. Haven't really followed the conversation since then but it seems to be a little lost in the weeds.
Stop commenting on my comments like I give a shit what you think. You and simon cowell can suck my shit.

Because you were carried by players that have been doing these dungeons for months.
If they were doing them for months, how are they only level 50? And why did they not know any of the encounters and need people to explain them? I think you were so quick to pin some blame on me, you forgot to even engage your brain.

Try doing them closer to release and see what results you get. Are you even running a parser?
I ran a parser when the game was new, because it seemed to actually matter then. If someone had bad DPS, fights seemed to take a while, and on some of the bigger boss fights your healers could actually run out of mana (that's the pointless bar under the red one). If your tank build wasn't too good, you would get eaten alive on a boss fight or a raid. But it's a completely different game now. You can win every fight with your eyes closed. And in fact, some of the fights even have completely different mechanics now. That big dragon boss which had adds chase people, it doesn't even spawn adds anymore. I was looking forward to it, I thought it might be the one tough fight left in the game, and we all just spammed our hotkeys and it died in about 10 seconds. Why even bother using a parser when everything dies instantly?

You are so desperate to try to make me look bad somehow because you have a tiny penis or something, but you are not noticing the glaringly obvious - it's not even possible to be bad in this game. I could just randomly masturbate near my keyboard and occasional twitches of my toes and elbows would take me smoothly through the levels and all the dungeons in this piece of shit retards game.

I mean, you were half right - blindly copying builds is bad.
Nuh uh, I am 100% right. If you copy the work of the other children, you are a very naughty boy.

Making your own is fine too - IF you actually make the effort to see how it actually performs, and you make no mention of that.
Killing mobs in seconds, and winning every single fight before the mob even reaches me? Being regularly top of Warfronts after a 2 year break? Having people ask me what my build is? Etc..etc..? If you want to troll me, you have to at least read what I said first.

If you did tweak your builds with actual parsing and are blazing your groups DPS every run then good for you and never mind, I guess.
I did that when rift was new. I also did it a few weeks ago - in TSW, where I actually gave a shit.

I'm just saying there is an abnormally high ratio of bad players in Rift compared to most other MMOs I have played. If it seems implied that I think I'm the God of Gaming, that's just your butthurt projection.
I already covered this. All MMO's are the same now. Rift has an extremely high ratio of bad players, but it's not abnormal at all, it's exactly the same in every other game. Like I said, everyone under the age of about 29 needs to just be killed, they just have no hope. You especially. Quite frankly, if you didn't beat mario and sonic in your pre-teen years, slog your way through the likes of monkey island before the internet existed, and played MMO's before maps and radars where commonplace, then you are not even a gamer. You never achieved anything of value. The only significant thing you ever achieved in a game, was an 'achievement'.

Do do do dooo dooo! **CONGRATS! YOU KILLED 5 ENEMIES** Here is a likkle button for your scrap book. GOOD BOY!

I have gotten groups that could not finish the dungeon, several times.
Hahahahaha

Fuya_sl

shitlord
I was actually kind of hoping you would post that secret spec so I could go and test it out. Now I'm going to have to play a random class to level 54 just see which 50,10,10 spec it was. Can I at least get a hint on which class? Can I use one of my 60s and just not spend those extra six points?

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I ran some dungeons today and I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed them. I tried a Warfront and really did not enjoy it.
At 50+ Warfronts are mostly retarded. It's around this tier in particular where most healers and warriors are basically gods and unless they are focused down they won't die and probably neither will anyone on their team. Best of luck trying to get 3+ people in a pug to go after healers at once too, even if you mark them for the raid. You can tell within the first 20 seconds if you're going to lose or not by how many people on your team jump on that one specific warrior who always Leeroys into the zerg, yet takes no damage because he's being healed by the stationary clerics at the back.

Not sure if it gets better at 55+ or 60+

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'm 36 and I am ashamed to admit I never beat Tyson. Also, you've gone way beyond me giving a shit.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Killing mobs in seconds, and winning every single fight before the mob even reaches me? Being regularly top of Warfronts after a 2 year break? Having people ask me what my build is? Etc..etc..? If you want to troll me, you have to at least read what I said first.
lol just lol