Riot Games MMO

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I think it would be interesting, but honestly ... kinda done with PvP based MMO's they've all become mehhh for me now a days..

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's hard to imagine Tencent is going to cut them a massive check to create a brand new MMO when there's so many other ways of expanding the brand.

How about a freemium mobile card game? League of Hearthstone? League of Legends the Gathering? What about League of Legends skinned cards that you drag and drop onto the board to spawn minions that advance and fight on their own along two lanes on their own, that model? League of Legends of Art of Conquest? Fortnite of Legends? League could make a pretty cool hero shooter.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's hard to imagine Tencent is going to cut them a massive check to create a brand new MMO when there's so many other ways of expanding the brand.

How about a freemium mobile card game? League of Hearthstone? League of Legends the Gathering? What about League of Legends skinned cards that you drag and drop onto the board to spawn minions that advance and fight on their own along two lanes on their own, that model? League of Legends of Art of Conquest? Fortnite of Legends? League could make a pretty cool hero shooter.

hmm I think they are pulling the kind of money were they can work on something for this(obviously they want to work on something else)*shrug* I'm interested, but who knows.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Hard to imagine. Fuck that.

2009–2016 – $3.59 billion

2017 – $2.1 billion

Maybe you weren't paying attention, but League of Legends, yeah that old game, has exploded in popularity. And as of 2016 its seen record-breaking growth.

They've got money-- and they're cutting checks. Period.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Hard to imagine. Fuck that.

2009–2016 – $3.59 billion

2017 – $2.1 billion

Maybe you weren't paying attention, but League of Legends, yeah that old game, has exploded in popularity. And as of 2016 its seen record-breaking growth.

They've got money-- and they're cutting checks. Period.

Yes, it is hard to imagine that their Chinese overlords (Tencent) are going to decide that a MMO is the next direction that Riot Games should take. MMOs are super expensive, take a long time to develop, and we've had enough of them die over the years to fill a graveyard. WoW took 4-5 years to develop. That feels like forever these days as far as the games industry is concerned. I just can't see them choosing that path given the popularity of card games, mobile games, fighting games and shooters/hero shooters.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
You do know that Tencent does more then just PubG/LoL right ? Worth at 850$b right now... so what would spending maybe 30million be to them ... honestly nothing(rough estimates)

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What about League of Legends skinned cards that you drag and drop onto the board to spawn minions that advance and fight on their own along two lanes on their own, that model?
Valve is opening that one this november: Artifact. Card game, three lanes with champions, minions, etc...

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
My money would be on them attempting a Diablo style game, or even an RTS before even considering an MMO.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zero faith in Riot to design a good game. League of Legends only works because it's Dota for retards, we already had an EverQuest for retards, and WoW for retards has never worked.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider

How do we go about getting the barf rating added to this subforum?

• 1Solidarity

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You do know that Tencent does more then just PubG/LoL right ? Worth at 850$b right now... so what would spending maybe 30million be to them ... honestly nothing(rough estimates)

Where in the fuck are you getting your #s. 850$ val cap ROFL. 30 million to develop a MMO hahahahaha

However I think an MMO could work on the premise that it is like League in that you can switch out heroes quite easily and alts would be very common. There wouldn't be a lot of vertical progression but a lot of horizontal progression (hopefully done right). Like somebody said, I think like a GW2 style.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tencent just bought Path of Exile in May, they went from nothing to owning the top ARPG on the market.

You never know they might buy Pantheon and take over the mmo market??? /s

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Zero faith in Riot to design a good game. League of Legends only works because it's Dota for retards, we already had an EverQuest for retards, and WoW for retards has never worked.

Over 100 million players...maybe you need to accept that the fact that they made a good game that a massive group of people likes. Lots of MOBA's have come out, none have done what League has. Just because it's not your cup of tea, doesn't mean its trash.

• 1Solidarity

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just because it's not your cup of tea, doesn't mean its trash.

The design is literally trash, they took Dota and dumbed it down. Just because a game is successful doesn't mean the studio knows anything about design, I remember reading a blog from one of these Riot shitlords saying that Bloodseeker's ult was bad because of the "burden of knowledge." Do you have hope they can design their way out of a wet paper sack after hearing about their concerns of the "burden of knowledge" for a game? That's damn near Blizzard shit.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
6ac3814850164ee48083b2079dc593b2.0.jpg

• 4Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I agree that having #'s doesn't make something good calling League a bad game just because it's different from DOTA is just reaching. Sure DOTA has more complex mechanics. But league has a faster more arcade like gameplay. You could make the same arguments for racing games, sports games, and FPS games.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
He sounds like a pissed off dota fanboy just cause league has been #1 for like 10yrs.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The design is literally trash, they took Dota and dumbed it down. Just because a game is successful doesn't mean the studio knows anything about design, I remember reading a blog from one of these Riot shitlords saying that Bloodseeker's ult was bad because of the "burden of knowledge." Do you have hope they can design their way out of a wet paper sack after hearing about their concerns of the "burden of knowledge" for a game? That's damn near Blizzard shit.

I mean... Even Steve Jobs said that the best ideas are stolen.

They took DoTA and made it better. It's that simple.

You may not like it, but they're profitable because everyone else does.

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I agree that having #'s doesn't make something good calling League a bad game just because it's different from DOTA is just reaching.

Their design philosophy is awful. So what if lots of people love bad design, more power to them, doesn't mean you should trust that they'll do anything remarkable in the MMO space especially given what we've seen from them already.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users