RIP Eddie Van Halen

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Fucking legend. Sucks he died, but he's still a legend, and always will be. No one will replace him on the guitar like that. No way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fucking legend. Sucks he died, but he's still a legend, and always will be. No one will replace him on the guitar like that. No way.
I was talking to my dad about that today. No one has ever sounded like him before or after. I think Steve Vai got the closest, but sounds entirely different still.

• 2Like

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gutted.

1602020370330.png

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I was talking to my dad about that today. No one has ever sounded like him before or after. I think Steve Vai got the closest, but sounds entirely different still.

I read an article a long time ago about this. I think it was Nuno Bettencourt. He met Eddie sometime during sound check before a show and Eddie let him play through his rig. Nuno said that despite that it STILL didnt sound like Eddie.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I only got one chance to see Van Halen, but I passed because it was with Sammy.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've seen them a few times, oddly enough, never with Sammy

EDIT To clarify, I would have gone if I could have, it just never worked out

Last edited:

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Ive seen them once... in Biloxi, Miss for the F.U.C.K tour... was like my 2nd or 3rd show ever

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
RIP Eddie

In another parallel universe we made it to the stars and you are jamming there.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
On a complete fluke I managed to catch the 1984 tour 3 times. Twice in Miami when my family happened to be in Miami on vacation. Then again later that year in Baton Rouge. Also got to the Hide Your Sheep Tour 82 in Baton Rouge

• 3Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I read an article a long time ago about this. I think it was Nuno Bettencourt. He met Eddie sometime during sound check before a show and Eddie let him play through his rig. Nuno said that despite that it STILL didnt sound like Eddie.
That's awesome. I'd say Nuno was pretty close to his style. Has a very woody tone

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
what in the fuck
RIP
Shouldn't have been doing drugs and alcohol. Or I guess eating metal guitar picks? 🙄

Eddie began receiving treatment for tongue cancer in 2000. The subsequent surgery removed roughly a third of his tongue. He was declared cancer-free in 2002.[72] He blamed the tongue cancer on his habit of holding guitar picks in his mouth, stating in 2015: "I used metal picks – they're brass and copper – which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer. ... I mean, I was smoking and doing a lot of drugs and a lot of everything. But at the same time, my lungs are totally clear. This is just my own theory, but the doctors say it's possible."[73

• 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
Saw them in Miami for the F.U.C.K tour. Crazy thing is Alice in Chains opened for them. I remember Layne standing there and he yelled out "can't you fucking clap"? Then they started playing Man in the Box then everyone knew who they were. Little did I know at the time that these guys would be one of my favorites. Saw AIC in Japan for the DIRT tour also.

I also saw VH in Japan for the Balance tour.

When AIC was touring with VH, Jerry Cantrell asked EVH if he could check out his gear. He was amazed at what EVH had. When they got back from touring Jerry was living in a shitty apartment complex. His landlord came up to him and said he had a delivery for him that had been taking up his entire office for weeks. EVH sent him his entire line of 5150 amps, guitars etc...

Love these guys. Most people have a preference between Sammy and David but I loved them both. I was really there to hear Eddie anyway.

• 3Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Why can't this be love was the first song I memorized, at the tender at of like 5-6 (Was on the radio constantly). First band I ever knew the name of by the sound of their music (Big moment for a kid, I guess). Pretty gutted over this one. RIP. =-/