RIP Roger Ebert

Golt_sl

shitlord
Hated his views that none of video games could be considered "Art" (Bioshock infinite lately comes to mind!) but still a pretty big loss.

rrr_img_19713.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ah, yeah I posted this in the movie forum not seeing it here, I thought it seemed fitting to have it over there.

I always liked his reviews and found myself more in line with them. After he had his lower jaw removed he always remained upbeat and continued doing what he loved, hard to not apprecieate his drive.

I'll miss reading his reviews.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
rip

cue jokeless bandwagoners with their overused and lame 'post a pic of someone who didn't just die'

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The fuck? Didn't he just get diagnosed with more cancer a few days ago? I didn't even think he started treatment yet.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's had cancer for 10 years almost.

He just posted a "taking a leave of presence" from writing post yesterday so I don't think anyone knew he was about to die. I did notice he was much less active on Twitter the past couple months so I think he was a lot worse off than most people knew.

Budrick

Molten Core Raider
He was always one I would trust about movie reviews.
I didn't always agree with him, but his insight was usually spot on.
RIP and FUCK CANCER!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
He was a really good writer and TV presenter, but his taste in movies was terrible. I stopped trusting his reviews the day he panned the first Spider Man film, saying something like it was too cartoony.

Still, "Siskel and Ebert" is pretty legendary, so it's a loss for anyone who likes movies.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's one thing I always liked about him. Even if he hated the movie he would make sure to list off the things the movie did right because he knew people liked movies for different reasons. You could always count on him to be pretty level headed with his reviews.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"Roger loved movies. They were his life. His reviews went far deeper than simply thumbs up or thumbs down. He wrote with passion through a real knowledge of film and film history, and in doing so, helped many movies find their audiences. Along with Gene Shalit, Joel Siegel, and of course Gene Siskel, Roger put television criticism on the map. Roger's passing is virtually the end of an era and now the balcony is closed forever."

---Steven Spielberg, April 4, 2013

"The death of Roger Ebert is an incalculable loss for movie culture and for film criticism. And it's a loss for me personally. Roger was always supportive, he was always right there for me when I needed it most, when it really counted - at the very beginning, when every word of encouragement was precious; and then again, when I was at the lowest ebb of my career, there he was, just as encouraging, just as warmly supportive. There was a professional distance between us, but then I could talk to him much more freely than I could to other critics. Really, Roger was my friend. It's that simple.

Few people I've known in my life loved or cared as much about movies. I know that's what kept him going in those last years - his life-or-death passion for movies, and his wonderful wife, Chaz.

We all knew that this moment was coming, but that doesn't make the loss any less wrenching. I'll miss him - my dear friend, Roger Ebert."

--- Martin Scorsese, April 4, 2013