RIP, Terry Pratchett

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Neil Gaiman did an interview yesterday. He spent most of it talking about his reaction to Terry Pratchett's death and what it was like working with him. It's really worth a watch if you were a fan, in my opinion:

That story of the Jin at 1:22:22 was really good.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Terry Pratchett's daughter declares The Shepherd's Crown will be the last Discworld novel

Terry Pratchett?s daughter Rhianna has brought down the curtain on her father?s Discworld novels, declaring that she will not write any more herself, nor give anyone else permission to do so. The comic novels set in a world balanced on the backs of four elephants standing on a giant turtle are ?sacred to dad?, she said.

The author, videogame and comics writer told a fan last week that her late father?s forthcoming novel, The Shepherd?s Crown, featuring teenage witch Tiffany Aching, would be the final Discworld book. And asked by a fan if she would be continuing the series herself, she ruled out the possibility.

?No. I?ll work on adaptations, spin-offs, maybe tie-ins, but the books are sacred to dad,? she wrote on Twitter. ?That?s it. Discworld is his legacy. I shall make my own.?

She added: ?To reiterate ? no I don?t intend on writing more Discworld novels, or giving anyone else permission to do so.?
I never really had a lot of confidence in Rhianna continuing Discworld considering she hasn't even published a book, so I'm glad she hasn't gone the route of sullying her parent's legacy in an attempt at riding his coattails (see: Herbert, McCaffrey, etc.).

That said, I always felt like the way Pratchett wrote his series made it so he wasn't just telling stories and creating characters but building a living world. I can't help but feel like there's still room to have stories set in Discworld without impacting what Pratchett created, particularly if they're new characters set in places that were never fully explored. But, perhaps that's just me having a hard time letting go and accepting that Discworld is done.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
That said, I always felt like the way Pratchett wrote his series made it so he wasn't just telling stories and creating characters but building a living world. I can't help but feel like there's still room to have stories set in Discworld without impacting what Pratchett created, particularly if they're new characters set in places that were never fully explored. But, perhaps that's just me having a hard time letting go and accepting that Discworld is done.
Problem is that that living world was rather intimately derived from Pratchett's unique worldview and life experience - which imo is what made it so alive and so unique. Nobody else could write Discworld the way Pratchett did because nobody else is Pratchett. Even towards the end, you could tell the Alzheimer's was having an effect on the quality of his writing, I'm not sure if it was a direct neurological thing or a side effect of dictation as opposed to typing (those kind of things can influence your style a lot), but somewhere around or after the Moist Von Lipwig books, it just stopped feeling like Discworld to me.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Don't understand why he didn't write a final Discworld book a few years ago to wrap up loose ends and be released after death.

Don't understand why he didn't write a final Discworld book a few years ago to wrap up loose ends and be released after death.
Would have had to be four books to tie up the major characters.

Granny weatherwax giving her place as head witch to tiffany.

Rincewind getting some sort of conclusion.

Death finally becoming human and Susan taking over for him plus her being able to be with lobsang as an equal.

Resolution of carrots heredity and vimes becoming patrician.

Time just caught up with th him faster then he expected I bet.