Roguelike... City Builder (Against the Storm)

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
It's cheap and entertaining.

I wonder what the 5th species will be, though.
dickbutt GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I absolutely love this game, but occasionally I do get the itch to have a more "permanent" colony. I'm hoping that Farthest Frontier gets some more updates soon to fulfill that end of the city building spectrum for me. They updated immediately after EA release, and maybe one more, but nothing for quite awhile. I trust them because of Grim Dawn, but it better be a pretty substantial update for all the time it is taking.

In the demo of this game I was able to try a city with the hex that makes it so no orders come in (bandits maybe?), and holy shit that was tough, even on easy level. I think that's something I won't finish until I've unlocked a lot more perks, most of which weren't available in the demo.

I also love the different maps in this. I got so used to wood giving resin passively that I didn't even realize I wasn't getting any in the fungus map, and was getting leather instead (which I never got in the demo except as rewards). Aside from the random buildings, even the maps make a decent difference, which is awesome. Man I love this game! I can see myself playing it off and on for months, maybe even years with some decent updates/dlc.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Still learning the mechanics and whatnot, but on the topic of "permanent" colonies, is there any benefit to staying on a map and clearing all glades and whatnot? On first glance it doesn't seem like you get any extra city resources or xp but maybe I'm missing something.

Has anyone advanced enough to unlock the daily challenges? Curious what those entail and if they reward anything decent.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Still learning the mechanics and whatnot, but on the topic of "permanent" colonies, is there any benefit to staying on a map and clearing all glades and whatnot? On first glance it doesn't seem like you get any extra city resources or xp but maybe I'm missing something.

Has anyone advanced enough to unlock the daily challenges? Curious what those entail and if they reward anything decent.
The Dangerous/Forbidden Glades can have events that reward the items you use to upgrade the Citadel. So probably not worth it to maybe find one, unless you have a lot going for you already on a particular map. Because the more Glades you open, the more Hostile the forest gets, and the longer the years get, the bigger the Resolve hit during the Storm.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played the demo a couple of weeks ago but didn't really like it.

I know it is a fantasy, but my town didn't feel like a place where people (lizards and beavers included) lived. It felt like some company-town from the 1890s, some rubber town in the Amazon built and lived in by wage slaves.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

I know it is a fantasy, but my town didn't feel like a place where people (lizards and beavers included) lived. It felt like some company-town from the 1890s, some rubber town in the Amazon built and lived in by wage slaves.
Cause it was the demo...
They're actually upgrading the looks every patch seemingly. Would be nice to see the long term roadmap to tell how many more races will be added for variety.
So far my fave biome, visually, is the Coral Forest.

Witless

Trakanon Raider

That’s the lore? The towns aren’t permanent settlements, you are out gathering resources to maintain/rebuild the capital between “Blightstorms.” That’s why all the races are working together to begin with, for survival on a grand scale.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That’s the lore? The towns aren’t permanent settlements, you are out gathering resources to maintain/rebuild the capital between “Blightstorms.” That’s why all the races are working together to begin with, for survival on a grand scale.

Guess I just didn't like the lore then.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
There are some achievements for opening up all the glades on a map and such, but I don't know if they count when you do it after continuing a city beyond the "win" condition. Maybe someone else has that answer. But there are a TON of achievements (called Deeds) for doing random stuff like that.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Does it make me a furry if I find the harpy portrait oddly arousing?

• 1Smuggly

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Harpies have feathers.
I'm not up on furry rules. Do they have to have fur? What about dragons? I know they call them dragonkin or some shit, but are those not furries? Do furries look down on dragonkin because they don't have glorious fur?

Seems a little racist if someone can't be a harpy furry!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not up on furry rules. Do they have to have fur? What about dragons? I know they call them dragonkin or some shit, but are those not furries? Do furries look down on dragonkin because they don't have glorious fur?

Seems a little racist if someone can't be a harpy furry!
If you want to get an official ruling from one of the board furries, be my guest. I'm not doing it.

• 1Worf

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
This is a great little game, I'm enjoying the randomness.. Like someone else said, there's no standard build order because objectives each map are so random and different.

Because I'm still learning things I've made stupid mistakes like picking orders that are impossible to complete several times.