Roguelike... City Builder (Against the Storm)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This is a great little game, I'm enjoying the randomness.. Like someone else said, there's no standard build order because objectives each map are so random and different.

Because I'm still learning things I've made stupid mistakes like picking orders that are impossible to complete several times.
Learning the possible production lines is critical (I'm still doing that).

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
There's a reason the trading post is so cheap and always available. Sometimes you have to trade for what you need for unfillable orders. This is especially true on higher difficulties when negative modifiers remove your ability to choose orders. I try to put packs of provisions pretty early in my build now to start that amber flow. Of course, you can also win without completing orders. There's even a deed for it.

On a related topic, at first I hated that the recipe window only showed items that you could actually build on that map but it's growing on me as a method to find what's holding back a particular production chain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't dislike the game, but there's something about the gameplay that I find deeply dissatisfying but not in a way that makes me want to stop playing. Like scratching an itch but it doesn't stop itching. Like no matter what blueprints I roll or what biome I play in, I always wish that a city either went faster or slower, the porridge is never just right.

My only actual complaint is that it shouldn't default you to settler, I wasted a fair bit of time not realizing I was playing on super ezmode and being frustrated at how slow the progression was because of the penalties settler gives.

• 1Smuggly

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Started playing this again, all the patches have really pushed this into one of the better city builders out there.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Ya, I'm going hard on this again currently. The patches over the last month improved some of the minor gripes I've experienced.

I always wish that a city either went faster or slower, the porridge is never just right.
This so much. The chaos can be both fun and tedious from moment to moment. Like you're having a killer map but you just need one last piece to complete a tech path but spending 30 mins of trying to RNG it is so annoying.
Any of you trying prestige + yet?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
1672151285368.png

I'm up to Prestige 6 now. A lot of games feel like you are just teetering on the brink of failure and then bring it back and it's a win no problem. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I think the last patch giving some randomness on the warehouse starting spot was pretty great.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I fucking hate it. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
For me, without really realizing it, the starting positions always being the same tended to lead to everything feeling the same more than I think it should. That said there really aren't that many options for how it starts it seems, but at least it's some variety

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
For me, without really realizing it, the starting positions always being the same tended to lead to everything feeling the same more than I think it should. That said there really aren't that many options for how it starts it seems, but at least it's some variety
In the long run it's probably good that I can't just go with the exact same start every single time but I liked my straightforward opener. Woodcutter + food camp, then loop a set of paths around the warehouse and hearth, leaving the 1x4 directly in front of the hearth open to place 4 benches for the first upgrade.

• 1Solidarity

faille

Molten Core Raider
What's the end game on this? I reached the end of the tech tree, which I think is where Prestige starts? but couldn't work out what the progress beyond that was beyond grinding the prestige levels. I just put it down at that point and started something else and haven't gone back, even though I really enjoyed the core of the game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's the end game on this? I reached the end of the tech tree, which I think is where Prestige starts? but couldn't work out what the progress beyond that was beyond grinding the prestige levels. I just put it down at that point and started something else and haven't gone back, even though I really enjoyed the core of the game.
the endgame is that if you've hit max level you've probably already gotten 50-60+ hours of gameplay for 20 dollars.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Unless I did something wrong, endgame and prestige are separate things. Every time you win a map on a difficulty you unlock the next higher difficulty; so in theory you could prestige 20 on your ~23 map. The tech tree just makes things easier and honestly I think it could use some rework. While getting +1% move speed or crit gather/manufacture, or whatever is helpful, much of the tree doesn't really feel that great.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Now this...this is fucking annoying.

View attachment 450847
That's a good start. Farms/Plantations are relocatable, so you can move them to cover the entire field when you've cleared the two nodes, meanwhile you've got the other farm field (once its trees are cleared). And humans to farm and I see beavers to chop. Your early food is covered, provided you get Plantation or Farm either as embark or early buildings.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's a good start. Farms/Plantations are relocatable, so you can move them to cover the entire field when you've cleared the two nodes, meanwhile you've got the other farm field (once its trees are cleared). And humans to farm and I see beavers to chop. Your early food is covered, provided you get Plantation or Farm either as embark or early buildings.
I wasn't complaining about fertile soil in the starting glade, it happens from time to time. What I'm complaining about is 1 each of resource nodes that all require a different gathering camp, and I've been getting bizarre starter resource nodes ever since they randomized the warehouse/hearth positions.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I wasn't complaining about fertile soil in the starting glade, it happens from time to time. What I'm complaining about is 1 each of resource nodes that all require a different gathering camp, and I've been getting bizarre starter resource nodes ever since they randomized the warehouse/hearth positions.
Ah. Well, since you get small camps (and those are small nodes), it only takes wood to build one, and you can recover the gears afterward if you recycle the camp. But yes, that's a bit weird. I wouldn't say annoying, but definitively on the weirder side of starts.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know what part of my complaint about the change to starter glade resource node generation invited an explanation of basic game mechanics. It's not normally as fucked up as the one in the screenshot, I assume because fertile soil stresses the algorithm out, but it has been weird and wildly inconsistent ever since the warehouse/hearth placement update.