Roku Box

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I see the press release for the Roku 3 about 20 seconds after I get the one I ordered...fuckers

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I haven't had much luck getting Plex to work well over my WiFi. Everything is 802.11 N, streams HD off the web just fine.
I have no problems streaming with Plex up to 720p. Runs off my laptop and streams directly to my TV, which has Plex built in. It lags a bit on 1080p content though.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I have no problems streaming with Plex up to 720p. Runs off my laptop and streams directly to my TV, which has Plex built in. It lags a bit on 1080p content though.
I have the same problem with Boxee. 720p works perfectly, 1080p buffers occasionally.

I picked up a 2TB external HDD and connected it to Boxee. Then, I mapped it as a remote drive on my desktop and just save my content there. Now it runs flawlessly... even 1080p 3D content. The same would presumably work with Roku, too.

Now getting Amazon Prime on Roku 3 seems like a good deal. Boxee can't stream it.
frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
fyi, the Roku smartphone app lets you use your phone as a remote control. I don't know if all of the remotes are crap or if I just got a lemon; regardless, using the wifi to control the roku instead of that cheap ass remote so much nicer.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can't find the other HTPC thread, but this will do just as well.

Just was given an old school wide-screen Tube TV, that I'm going to be putting in the bedroom. It was back when widescreen was first coming out, and supports up to 1080i I believe? haha. No HDMI, so that means Roku 3 is out, even though I'd really like the faster processor, and better UI.

Edit: So after doing some more research, it looks like Roku didn't make too many component video Roku's. Going to just go with a more recent one and use composite video cables.

Edit2: So not worth the hassle to try and get a component video Roku, so just went with a refurbished Roku HD. Going to use the composite cables, so didn't care about 1080p.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Got my dad a chromecast for 30 dollars this christmas- He doesn't have a speedy internet but only has been "grandfathered" into the verizon wireless unlimited data plan since he lives so far in the country. He currently streams netflix and plex with chromecast. He is going to cancel his 120 dollar Dish network bill. Best Christmas gift I could have gotten him. He logs into my plex account and I log into his netflix account in return. Anything he can't find off netflix I just download for him. He loves it haha. Google is on the uprise when it comes to this kinda shit. Be on the lookout boxee and roku!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Can't find the other HTPC thread, but this will do just as well.

Just was given an old school wide-screen Tube TV, that I'm going to be putting in the bedroom. It was back when widescreen was first coming out, and supports up to 1080i I believe? haha. No HDMI, so that means Roku 3 is out, even though I'd really like the faster processor, and better UI.

Edit: So after doing some more research, it looks like Roku didn't make too many component video Roku's. Going to just go with a more recent one and use composite video cables.

Edit2: So not worth the hassle to try and get a component video Roku, so just went with a refurbished Roku HD. Going to use the composite cables, so didn't care about 1080p.
I went through the same thing with my sister and had to do the refurbished roku as well. Of course 9 months later she wound up with a new TV with HDMI. Free TVs are nice and all, but you know you can get a modern 32" flat screen for like $220 right? Plenty big enough for a bedroom TV.