Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So consensus here is ASUS? I had a Rosewill RNX-EasyN4 that lasted me about 10 years with no issues whatsoever. Thing was rock solid and only cost $35. Is there really nothing comparable to that in that price range anymore? The ASUS routers are way more expensive.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My Asus has 4 of 5 bars in my backyard and its in the front of the house. The shitty comcrap one that came with my service down to 1 bar by the backyard, so i treasure my Asus router.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My Asus has 4 of 5 bars in my backyard and its in the front of the house. The shitty comcrap one that came with my service down to 1 bar by the backyard, so i treasure my Asus router.
Thats another thing, my Asus router is in my basement, and I still get a signal about 100-120 feet away in my backyard. So needless to say, no issues with covering the entire house

Khane

Well I just ordered an ASUS. This shit better be baller for $200 bros!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
get the zoom modem bro. I am telling you. here is the one I have works out of the book no bullshit with comcast other than registering it.Amazon.com: Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J: Computers Accessories
I have a Zoom modem on Comcast and it's very good. Zoom had really good 56k modems back in the day and were a hell of a lot cheaper than USR so I had no problems giving Zoom a go for a cable modem. At time I bought my Zoom modem(3-4 years ago) it was the only one that could do 8 channel bonding while the Motorola Docsis 3.0 modem could only do 4.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll probably get that zoom too. As far as I can tell the modem part works the router is shit though no range not deal dual band always needing a restart. Might as well replace the whole thing with a new modem and router gonna go asus for router.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've got a Motorola SB 6141 docsis 3.0 modem, and using it on Comcast. Has something changed, because mine works great?

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've got a Motorola SB 6141 docsis 3.0 modem, and using it on Comcast. Has something changed, because mine works great?
It's a firmware update that needs to be pushed from Comcast it either gets updated or their tech support to stupid to fix it 90% of the time. Just Google it and see the complaints about it.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have the 6580. Yeah heard about that firmware issue. I also heard they try to charge you $75 to do the update to get the suckers who don't understand how simple it is and that it can take forever to get it waved. I hate dealing with Comcast customer service over the phone. In store is ok. I just got an asus certified refurbished ac66r for $89 added the 1 year warranty for $10 saved about 50-60 on it.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I have the Asus "Dark Knight" router and I frickin' love it. I wish it supported AC, but it works so well that I don't want to replace it yet.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got the asus set up and it seems great so far much faster than the moto will see about reliability.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Having AC 9n my phone is pretty amazing compared to what it was. I can actually load the GIF thread now

Khane

So I got my ASUS RT-AC68U and it's up and running. Now I believe I should replace my old wireless dongles. What's the verdict there? Dongle or card? Which ones?

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Having AC 9n my phone is pretty amazing compared to what it was. I can actually load the GIF thread now
Glad to hear it's working out good for you those two in one modem/routers are generally craptastic at best.

Silence_sl

shitlord
So I got my ASUS RT-AC68U and it's up and running. Now I believe I should replace my old wireless dongles. What's the verdict there? Dongle or card? Which ones?
Card. I use Intel and Edimax rebrands (Ralink chip). Never had a single problem with either.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Can Anyone Tell Me IF I Should Be Using Any Of The Open Source Firmware Like asiswrt.Merlin, Or If The Company One is fine?

Silence_sl

shitlord
Can Anyone Tell Me IF I Should Be Using Any Of The Open Source Firmware Like asiswrt.Merlin, Or If The Company One is fine?
DDWRT varies from being a pile of steaming dogshit to being pretty good. I have 3rd party firmware (non DDWRT) on my Asus that makes the device actually useable.

In short: it depends on everything.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So all the praise the ASUS routers get, and you think it needs 3rd party firmware to even make it useable? Which model do you have?