Routers & Other Networking Stuff

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Unifi overkill for a 1500SF 2 bedroom apartment with outdoor patio? want good coverage throughout.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Unifi overkill for a 1500SF 2 bedroom apartment with outdoor patio? want good coverage throughout.
It is most likely overkill and not the right solution unless your noise floor is really low and you require multiple access points. A high powered dual band router such as Asus or if you want to really nerd out, the Mikrotik linked earlier. Be prepared to be frustrated with the tik though. They are amazing, just have a steep learning curve.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone able to recommend a good wifi extender at a reasonable price? My router is in li in room in very front of my house and my PC is in back bedroom at every back of the noise. I typically get 2-3 bars at that range. I'd like to up it by putting an extender in the middle of the house.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Anyone able to recommend a good wifi extender at a reasonable price? My router is in li in room in very front of my house and my PC is in back bedroom at every back of the noise. I typically get 2-3 bars at that range. I'd like to up it by putting an extender in the middle of the house.
Get a powerline extender:
Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT ADVANCED 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, AV500 Powerline Edition, Wi-Fi Clone Button, 2 LAN Ports: Computers Accessories

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How does a Powerline extender work with a traditional wireless router? Grabs the signal, and extends it, and then the "Powerline" feature of that extender are wasted because the rest of your network isn't Powerline? Seems odd to use that if not already using a Powerline network.

Remit_sl

shitlord
How does a Powerline extender work with a traditional wireless router? Grabs the signal, and extends it, and then the "Powerline" feature of that extender are wasted because the rest of your network isn't Powerline? Seems odd to use that if not already using a Powerline network.
No, you use another powerline adapter by your existing router. The powerline connection acts as the backhaul, making it not suck like traditional "extenders". It isnt a repeater, but more of just an additional access point.

Crone

No, you use another powerline adapter by your existing router. The powerline connection acts as the backhaul, making it not suck like traditional "extenders". It isnt a repeater, but more of just an additional access point.
That's cool, but should Convo then buy another piece than what he just bought? The other piece, that is near the router as you say, wasn't linked.

Remit_sl

shitlord
That's cool, but should Convo then buy another piece than what he just bought? The other piece, that is near the router as you say, wasn't linked.
It is. I buy them all the time for customers for this exact application. Look at the other pictures

Crone

It is. I buy them all the time for customers for this exact application. Look at the other pictures
Ohhhh... sorry for my ignorance. Both pieces are included right there. Sorry for being dumb. Will keep this in mind as I'm sure I'll have problems of my own in the future.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So pretty sure my router is dead. It will only broadcast the network for like a minute after resetting, and it only connects to the internet for about 30 seconds. Even hard wired connections aren't working through it. It was an r6300 net gear, anyone know of similar replacements that are cheaper? Definitely needs to be dual band, 2.4ghz is noisy as shit in my neighborhood so I need to use 5ghz with whatever supports it (not everything I have does though, so still need 2.4)

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ohhhh... sorry for my ignorance. Both pieces are included right there. Sorry for being dumb. Will keep this in mind as I'm sure I'll have problems of my own in the future.
It came today, took like 5 mins to setup. Would have been less if I notoced the card with the network password on it. You need to hook into thier network, not your routers. I went from 2 bars to full. Shit is awesome.

Remit_sl

shitlord
It came today, took like 5 mins to setup. Would have been less if I notoced the card with the network password on it. You need to hook into thier network, not your routers. I went from 2 bars to full. Shit is awesome.
There is a button on it to clone your router's SSID/password, but my luck with that has been mixed at best. Great idea, just doesnt work reliably.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
OK, so I have 50Mbps service from CableOne, and through an Ethernet cable, it's very close to that, sometimes better. But, using their Arris modem/router, I will be at 35Mbps tops to 4-5Mbps not 12 feet away. Upstairs I'll be at 1-4Mbps routinely with a poor signal strength. I have a Netgear extender (EX 2700) which does a great job of improving the signal strength but does nothing for the Mbps.

Question, if I buy my own Motorola modem and a router like the D-Link DIR-655 will Ivastlyimprove my internet situation?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I need to get the powerline extenders as the downstairs does not get much signal. -- Or should I get a second router or just an extender? I have two networks (AirBNB and for myself), can I use the powerline extenders for both networks? And, is there anything higher than a 300Mbps one?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Nay to both. The router is upstairs, so the signal downstairs is not so hot, lol.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Nay to both. The router is upstairs, so the signal downstairs is not so hot, lol.
The more I think about it, the more complicated this gets. You wont want to use a wireline extender for the BNB network, because that would eliminate the VLAN separation from your home network (because it plugs into the back of your internal LAN on your router). I THINK Linksys used to make a multi ssid wifi extender, but I cant for the life of me find it. I think it was labeled as a Cisco.

I dont think there is a one device easy to set up way to do this. You could buy an AP with multiple ssid's and vlans (Ive used Netgear Prosafes before to do this), but then you are going to have to do some routing work to maintain that separation. Easiest solution would be to only extend ONE ssid. For your home, go with a powerline extender. For the BNB, go with a true wifi extender. Or, you could buy both! But then you are going to need some channel planning to not cause interference in the 2.4 band.

I could also be totally overlooking a simple solution, as this is a deployment I have not tackled without Unifi. There is another option I guess, but probably really overkill.

EDIT: The "other option" is ripping out what you have and replacing it with a router and 2 unifi APs. My shitty sentence structure made that last part hard to discern.