Routers & Other Networking Stuff

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
1. This is the routers thread not the torrents thread.
2. What the fuck are you talking about ? Ripping bluerays @ 2gb ??
3. Is there a question in there or did you just want to brag ? In that case you're looking for the "shit i bought" thread.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
naw there is other networking in there... no worries, meant it for the stuff i got thread but...alas.

never could get my routerboard/Tik to work correctly for some reason. options and settings in the ui were and are massive but for some reason it never would allow the network to connect to the internet.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Picked up a qnap umm tk251 over the weekend putting in 6TB of storage(2TB installed ATM) for my media server, running plex and am burning all my DVD's and blurays to mkv format. I am using a combo of anydvdhd and
handbrake--- anydvd to remove the protection handbrake to make the mkv. Figuring ~750meg per DVD and 2gig per bluray average , I figure I will get all my DVD's and blurays installed and have about 3TB left. Running over WiFi my initial test movie(DVD) played essentially perfectly via plex media server and plex android app. About to test a bluray burn now before bed(I will play about 20 minutes)
2. What the fuck are you talking about ? Ripping bluerays @ 2gb ??
Yea, lowest quality 1080p BR copies you see on torrents are around 8GB. Add in DTS-MA quality audio and it goes up quite a bit.

All that said, when I got my NAS setup for my home theater I had originally planned on ripping all of my old DVD collection. I found it took far longer to read / re-encode a DVD that it would take to just download a fresh copy from torrents. (100Mb Fiber Line) I literally just gave / threw away a few hundred DVDs at that point.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So I'm pretty dumb about networking stuff, but using my brother's airport extreme is making me realize that my router (Netgear POS that my ISP provided because my old DIR-655 used the same IP address as the modem) sucks. What is the best bang for your buck router out now? I am particularly concerned with maximizing range and I don't need to tinker with shit much.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
So I'm pretty dumb about networking stuff, but using my brother's airport extreme is making me realize that my router (Netgear POS that my ISP provided because my old DIR-655 used the same IP address as the modem) sucks. What is the best bang for your buck router out now? I am particularly concerned with maximizing range and I don't need to tinker with shit much.
What's your price range and what type of devices you connecting. You can get a wireless AC router but if you only have wireless N equipment, the extra speed will go to waste.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Just connecting my smartphone, a couple chromecasts, and 1-2 PCs. I don't stream much video due to my internet connection. The main thing I want is for it to work more reliably out in the driveway and to not need rebooting all the damn time. I don't mind spending up to a couple hundred bucks if there is some value to me, but the fancy customization options are probably wasted on me.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If your primary concern is increased coverage area then you're going to need to either shop commercial, or set up multiple access points. There's virtually 0 difference in coverage range between almost all consumer models of wireless routers.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Well, all I know is that I can use my brother's airport router from an eighth of a mile away and I can't use my little netgear half the time when I'm standing outside the window of the room it's in. I am somewhat averse to buying apple products since they are generally horribly overpriced for what you get but I am willing to make an exception if they really are superior.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Got my Ubiquiti router and Ubiquiti WAP set up. Pretty fucking fast for such insanely low prices.

What's a good cheap Gigabit switch? 5 ports will do, 8 would be better.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've had good luck with the NetGear GS105/GS108. Little tanks and lifetime warranty for a reasonable price.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there some feature the Netgear switches have over alternatives that cost almost half as much?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It was an honest question, I've never bought a switch and I know that netgear routers are generally overpriced.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Mine was an honest answer as well. The main difference is fiability and reliability and all the others "ility". They're all dumb switches, there's no management features to differentiate them.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dunno, most switches in the cheap segment have plastic housing, little/no diagnostic lights, poor auto-negotiation or something.

I haven't had any problems with the ProSafe series, one is pretty beat to hell because I stored it in a bag with testing equipment and random crap and it got banged up/scratched enough that I'm pretty sure the cheapy plastic ones would have cracked open.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Looking for a Wifi Router (preferably with built in Modem) that has a very powerful signal. I would love for it to have 6+ Ethernet plugins. Currently renting the Xfinity,pretty sure this is it right here, and it sucks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Budget is $300-$500 willing to go a little more if it will really meet all my needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looking for a Wifi Router (preferably with built in Modem) that has a very powerful signal. I would love for it to have 6+ Ethernet plugins. Currently renting the Xfinity,pretty sure this is it right here, and it sucks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Budget is $300-$500 willing to go a little more if it will really meet all my needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
combo routers/modems usually suck donkey dick. Like wow pvp.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, get a modem that your provider deals with (or take a small gamble and just get a docsis 3.0 deal) and then get a decent wireless router with 6 ports+ ports. Comboing them is just asking for sub-par performance. Those gateway router/modems that cable companies like peddling are usually good enough for browsing facebook from across the room or so, but if you're looking for range and signal strength overall they tend to be shit.