Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the info guys.

Harfle +1
Rezz I can't give you more rep, probably got you during netmas.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Looking for a Wifi Router (preferably with built in Modem) that has a very powerful signal. I would love for it to have 6+ Ethernet plugins. Currently renting the Xfinity,pretty sure this is it right here, and it sucks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Budget is $300-$500 willing to go a little more if it will really meet all my needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Combo modem/routers tend to be shit. The one Time Warner set my parents up with drops devices frequently and has to be rebooted way to often. The only reason they still use it is that the installer took their old router and they haven't bothered to replace it.

Edit: Shit, didn't see this already covered on the next page.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What kind of plan do you have with your ISP? Those seem a bit like overkill unless you're paying for some pretty fast speeds from your ISP.

Asus routers have a good reputation, though I've never used one myself. I wonder ifASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11a3ab - Newegg.commight be all you need.

As far as the modem goes, I have aAmazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White: Computers Accessoriesand it has worked quite well. I bought mine as a refurb about a year ago for $50. It has never given me any issues.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been using my N66U for years with no issues at all. Would definitely recommend Asus which it looks like you're setting on. Also been using the old version of the SURFboard for even longer than the N66U. Both great products.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I figured that Asus router was overkill for speeds, I just figured that signal strength would be nice. Regarding the modem I saw the one you mentioned but the one I linked was only a little more.

EDIT: Upon further review I am leaning toward this

Amazon.com: ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC3100 Gigabit Router (RT-AC88U): Computers Accessories

8 Ports is sexy and I will order one of those Arris modems as well.

Thanks again guys!
Good luck working with comcast if you are using comcast to setup that new modem. They are just a pita sometimes and make sure they actually remove your old equipment off your bill.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just found out today that Comcast added modem charges back on my bill. Have had my own modem for 10 years or so and had them remove it God knows when. Modem Rental charge just magically appears this month.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Other than having to speak with some lady in Asia and asking her to repeat everything she said twice, the set up was really easy. I now get a great internet signal on my patio and in my garage, not to mention inside my home is now amaze balls.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Other than having to speak with some lady in Asia and asking her to repeat everything she said twice, the set up was really easy. I now get a great internet signal on my patio and in my garage, not to mention inside my home is now amaze balls.
Grats!

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am in the process of building a 2-story 4,000sqft house and I am doing a little research on wifi routers. I would have had them install CAT cable throughout however this spec home was already passed that stage.
Currently I live in a single story that is wired throughout for internet so WIFI distance for ipads, phones etc have never been an issue with my cheapo Linksys AC1200. I have been looking at reviews and reading up on routers with processors in them now and how great the speed is on the wifi vs. wired.

Any recommendations?

Currently looking at the:
ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router
http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC5300-Wire...11&s=pc&sr=1-6
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighth...11&s=pc&sr=1-5

Thanks!
Couldn't find a dedicated thread to Wifi routers, so I created my own. Soon I as I posted I searched again and found one..ugh however in my defense it wasnt updated since 2013. Please move purge if you can. Thanks!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea you're looking at something more commercial grade to cover a house that size. Using consumer level shit from Best Buy or whatever you're going to need several access points via powerline adapters or some such nonsense/

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have seen this type of equipment in our warehouse and in hotels. I will read into it a little more, just curious if these units are considered a router or a better grade access point?
Those are access points that will tie into your router, they will extend the single network throughout the house. Top notch when you can't wire up.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Those are access points that will tie into your router, they will extend the single network throughout the house. Top notch when you can't wire up.
Gotcha! So, does the router "grade" need to be increased or am I ok with the one I already have or should I upgrade to a more powerful one and add these access points?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Gotcha! So, does the router "grade" need to be increased or am I ok with the one I already have or should I upgrade to a more powerful one and add these access points?
You could keep the same most likely as long as you don't have something that is really subpar. There is no reason to not buy everything at once. Someone else can give you a better recommendation for a router.

I personally haveNighthawk X6 | Tri-Band WiFi Router | AC3200 (R8000) | NETGEARas an AP and aRT1900ac - Products - Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)as my actual router. I like the software package on the Synology a lot and it's still young. The radio on it is too weak for me however so I supplemented with that Netgear I already had.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You could keep the same most likely as long as you don't have something that is really subpar. There is no reason to not buy everything at once. Someone else can give you a better recommendation for a router.

I personally haveNighthawk X6 | Tri-Band WiFi Router | AC3200 (R8000) | NETGEARas an AP and aRT1900ac - Products - Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)as my actual router. I like the software package on the Synology a lot and it's still young. The radio on it is too weak for me however so I supplemented with that Netgear I already had.
You just have your Nighthawk in "wireless AP" mode basically? I noticed I had those options on my new AC68U from Asus, but was curious if that's what you did?

And with enterprise APs, do you just daisy chain them across a house that large? Like a repeater? Or do you have to run a Cat 5 to each one?