Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
DOCSIS Devices

This page shows you which devices are compatible. I'd softest following it only to the point that you don't get something cancelled or end of life, they're already shitheads about supporting customer owned equipment, let alone if it doesn't meet their requirements.

On the previous page you can see I bought the Arris but someone else recommended the MB 7420.

There is also a lot of recommendations here for one of the ASUS RT-AC or RT-N66Us, or whatever the current shipping model is. And then we get a lot of recommendations for Mikrotik stuff depending on your comfort with a little more involved configuration.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I recently upgraded my laptop, and was considering upgrading my router as well. I own a SB6141 modem, paired with an older router; the Cisco/Linksys E3000 I think. Is theASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Routerthe solid, not crazy expensive pick from the board? I know computers and networking decently, but I'm not a fanatic and I'm not bothering with DD-WRT etc. It's gotta work well stock.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I recently upgraded my laptop, and was considering upgrading my router as well. I own a SB6141 modem, paired with an older router; the Cisco/Linksys E3000 I think. Is theASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Routerthe solid, not crazy expensive pick from the board? I know computers and networking decently, but I'm not a fanatic and I'm not bothering with DD-WRT etc. It's gotta work well stock.
I have that exact modem/router combo along with TWC and it works great. I think I've had to reboot the modem maybe twice in the last year, and never the router. Previously I was using the UBEE all-in-one piece of shit TWC rents you, which was a failure in every way.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have that exact modem/router combo along with TWC and it works great. I think I've had to reboot the modem maybe twice in the last year, and never the router. Previously I was using the UBEE all-in-one piece of shit TWC rents you, which was a failure in every way.
Yes it was, and that failure ran at least $10/month in "rent". When I realized I had an E3000 available and I could get a SB6141 for $50-60... so long, cable company shitbox. The new lappy has a much faster wireless module, so a more current router has actual benefit now.

Thanks for the vouch, I'll get the ASUS if I upgrade (read: if I stop being a cheapass).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Mikrotik router

Amazon.com: Mikrotik RB951G-2HND 5-Port Gigabit Wireless AP 1000mW: Computers Accessories

Anyone want to give me any pointers of anything super important I need to update/load on this thing when I get it? Or is it going to be pretty plug&play out of the box? I'm not a networking expert, but I'm fairly comfortable with things like port forwarding and basic functions like that. Am I going to be in over my head here, or are these things pretty user-friendly nowadays?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Mikrotik router

Amazon.com: Mikrotik RB951G-2HND 5-Port Gigabit Wireless AP 1000mW: Computers Accessories

Anyone want to give me any pointers of anything super important I need to update/load on this thing when I get it? Or is it going to be pretty plug&play out of the box? I'm not a networking expert, but I'm fairly comfortable with things like port forwarding and basic functions like that. Am I going to be in over my head here, or are these things pretty user-friendly nowadays?
Do a software update (go to System->Packages), set a password for the router (default is blank, go to System->Password) and then try to use QuickSetup to configure shit. If it doesn't work, send me a pm and we'll solve it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I need a new wireless dongle but the computer I need to connect it to doesn't have USB 3.0.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I thought USB 3.0 devices were physically compatible with USB 2.0 ports and will just transfer at 2.0 speeds.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought USB 3.0 devices were physically compatible with USB 2.0 ports and will just transfer at 2.0 speeds.
Yep. They are interchangeable. 2.0 will only work at 60MBs max throughput, while its about 10x faster with 3.0.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Gotta say, I'm impressed with the Mikrotik

Right out of the box, this tiny little box(about the size of a paperback book) with zero external antennas has probably 1/3 more range than my old Asust RT-N66U, and faster as well.

I haven't jacked with upping the power at all, I may not bother, their documentation recommends against it multiple times, saying it could shorten the life of the product. Seems plenty powerful as-is.

Boggles my mind that a tiny box with no antennas that is half the price of my Asus runs circles around it in performance. Definitely liking the purchase.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm pretty sure about 99.9% of all the antennas you ever see on wireless devices are purely for show.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I went with the SB6141 and asus RTAC66U, comcast
i just installed the modem today. I do get random modem resets so that is worrying me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I did not have a good experience with Arris Cable Modems. I had to use one for a few months when my old motorola shot craps(it was great for 5+ years) and I had to reset the goddamn thing pretty much daily(time Warner service). Goddamn I don't mis Arris modems. Problem is, I think all cable modems are pretty much trash nowadays. Arris, Ubee, Zoom, etc. I miss the old, sturdy Motorolas that I used for decades. And yeah, I know that Arris IS Motorola now, but they're still crap, whatever they did to change their products when the buyout happened.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got the ASUS RT-AC66U per the board's suggestion, and so far it has been a massive improvement over the old router it replaced. Good call.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gotta say, I'm impressed with the Mikrotik

Right out of the box, this tiny little box(about the size of a paperback book) with zero external antennas has probably 1/3 more range than my old Asust RT-N66U, and faster as well.

I haven't jacked with upping the power at all, I may not bother, their documentation recommends against it multiple times, saying it could shorten the life of the product. Seems plenty powerful as-is.

Boggles my mind that a tiny box with no antennas that is half the price of my Asus runs circles around it in performance. Definitely liking the purchase.
I went with the SB6141 and asus RTAC66U, comcast
i just installed the modem today. I do get random modem resets so that is worrying me.
Got the ASUS RT-AC66U per the board's suggestion, and so far it has been a massive improvement over the old router it replaced. Good call.
Lol, I also got the Asus RT AC66U , as I wanted an upgrade and didn't need AC, just N. And yet here we have someone going Mikrotik and kicking ass! Doh! Networking is my damn job, I should have gone with Mikrotik.
frown.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm pretty sure about 99.9% of all the antennas you ever see on wireless devices are purely for show.
Nah, but they really don't solve the fundamental issue which is output power and specifically the output/antenna on the devices themselves. You could run a 50W death ray wifi tower against FCC regs and your little phone still isn't going to be able to communicate because it can't send the info back at the same range.