Routers & Other Networking Stuff

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea still in bridge mode, NAPT disabled so I don't think it should be trying anything with DHCP, but honestly I'm not sure I could tell if it was since the interface to see all the network settings goes away with NAPT disabled.
Any other network devices besides the main router and modem? Wireless APs etc? lots of random stuff can come configured with dhcp. You can try removing the router and just wire right to the modem, see if it gives you your external IP or something from an internal range still. If it's in bridge mode it shouldn't though.

That MTR definitely looks like there is something inside your LAN that you're hitting before getting external though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone convert their whole house to SIP?

I'm trying to think of the best way to do it. I want to drop my phone service completely, and have it ring simultaneously to phones in my house and any smartphones on my LAN.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Anyone convert their whole house to SIP?

I'm trying to think of the best way to do it. I want to drop my phone service completely, and have it ring simultaneously to phones in my house and any smartphones on my LAN.
I don't get what you mean. SIP doesn't provide you phone service. You still have to have a number assigned to a device and have traffic routed to it, whether that's by a broadband provider that interfaces with the PSTN, a cellular provider, VOIP services or POTS copper lines. Granted that's all starting to blur together in the last decade but you still need A provider of some sort.

You seem to be saying you want to install a PBX but not have to pay for anything, which doesn't make much sense because anything involving business telephony is stupidly overpriced because reasons.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Any other network devices besides the main router and modem? Wireless APs etc? lots of random stuff can come configured with dhcp. You can try removing the router and just wire right to the modem, see if it gives you your external IP or something from an internal range still. If it's in bridge mode it shouldn't though.

That MTR definitely looks like there is something inside your LAN that you're hitting before getting external though.
Yea I'm not sure what it would be. Generally I have two cell phones, my PC, a PS4, my TV, a printer, several tablets, IP cameras and a GDO controller for my home automation system. I don't have any illicit MAC addresses on Wi-Fi.

Maybe I will check my system for virtual hardware as I have several virtualization platforms installed and I think maybe still a virtual switch for HyperV.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't get what you mean. SIP doesn't provide you phone service. You still have to have a number assigned to a device and have traffic routed to it, whether that's by a broadband provider that interfaces with the PSTN, a cellular provider, VOIP services or POTS copper lines. Granted that's all starting to blur together in the last decade but you still need A provider of some sort.

You seem to be saying you want to install a PBX but not have to pay for anything, which doesn't make much sense because anything involving business telephony is stupidly overpriced because reasons.
No, I mean I want to drop my traditional phone service and get a SIP provider, obviously.

SIP Trunking Pricing

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Long time ago I got a google voice number. Gave that out and used it as my primary. All other numbers I use mean nothing to me and are disposable.

I use a Obi box, plug the phone line into the wall and it will feed all your other phone outlets in the house. You can also just plug a multi phone unithttp://tinyurl.com/hhw52zointo the obi and do essentially the same thing if your home doesn't have jacks. This takes your VOIP provider, in my case google voice, and allows me to use a regular land line to make calls.

Then in the voice.google.com website, i setup the call forwarding to my cell lines and any other line I want. Change phone number on cell phone to google voice number for outgoing announcement to caller id.

Net result is anytime someone calls my GV number it goes to my home and cell phones, rings simultaneously and I can even transfer calls to one or the other without hanging up. One number for everything, trivial to setup and it is free.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's sorta what I want. But I'd want it to ring to the google voice client on the smartphone(s) when they're on a WLAN, rather than forward to the cell numbers.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Everything rings when using GV in that setup. Hangouts on PC, Obi, cells etc. You can control exactly what rings and when if you want to specify certain people only going to home or cell or whatever.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I could always just get work to give me an IP Office out of the trash...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Apparently I own an copy of Skype for Business Server, I could always use that as a PBX. I think I want to get my MCSE in Communications/Skype for Business, so that would be a good idea. I should build a server.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You should if you want to go that route anyway. I don't see how you would really save money going to PBX otherwise over a single cell plan. If you really need feature rich home phones I guess...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Phones are basically my life right now.

Which is weird, since I don't actually own a smartphone yet.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For all of your router/switching/wireless needs.

I'm a Cisco geek myself, but that's largely influenced by what I (am forced to) use at work.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can you recommend a good wireless router? I think mines about to take a dump on me. I only use it wirelessly for cell phone, tablet, and work laptop, so it would need atleast one hardwire port for my desktop.

Varrus

Trakanon Raider
I heard many good things about the RT-AC66U and thought I bought that. Instead I noticed I bought the 65U version and it sucked horribly for me.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So anyway to carry on from yonder forums...

Bought a new Asus AC3100 which didn't actually change my connection issue but it did help me identify it with pretty solid diagnostic tools.

I was able to find the right timestamp for my issues and it solidly correlates with T3 time-outs in my modem logs. Unfortunately the modem has this odd habit of 'rolling' recent events into 'alerts' instead of just listing all events so it's been difficult to figure out what was going on.

Anyway called Cox, tech is coming out here tomorrow AM to take a look and see where the issue is.