Routers & Other Networking Stuff

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh I needed to post here.

I bought a Netgear R7000 because I've been using the ATT provided gateway for years. But it wasn't really a problem until I've tried to take advantage of broadband steering. Anyone ever done this?

By this I mean use a router with the ATT fiber gateway. I've heard is a fucky thing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Already bought a roll of unifi toughcable, crimper and ends. Had the electrician put a power jack in the ceiling in pantry. Will put coax and ethernet there next week myself. Will report back results.

View attachment 288997

I can already tell your house is hideous in a 1970s kind of way.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Oh I needed to post here.

I bought a Netgear R7000 because I've been using the ATT provided gateway for years. But it wasn't really a problem until I've tried to take advantage of broadband steering. Anyone ever done this?

By this I mean use a router with the ATT fiber gateway. I've heard is a fucky thing.

Their gateways are atrocious, but as long as I put mine in bridge mode than it doesn't do anything but pass the WAN IP through to my mesh router base station.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I installed the Netgear router and I forwarded it on the shitty ATT Gateway, I can connect to the router and I can get to the ATT Gateway interface when connected to the router.

But I can't connect to the internet.

This is why I fucking hate networking garbage.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Odd screen shot of my house, but the black line indicates the front door on the right side, and then into the living room, down a hall and back up into the bedrooms. The bottom right is the kitchen/bathroom where Wi-Fi isn't as necessary. So in a node situation put one at the top of each side of the horse shoe, and then one at the bottom and call it good?

I already have a Ubuiquit AP hooked up, to a Linksys router, but I have to move my router since it's currently in that bottom right of the house and that went from living room to kitchen so I have to move it.

Shit I don't know. I want better Wifi coverage, so maybe I'm just gonna add another AP and call it good.

1596843312807.png

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Odd screen shot of my house, but the black line indicates the front door on the right side, and then into the living room, down a hall and back up into the bedrooms. The bottom right is the kitchen/bathroom where Wi-Fi isn't as necessary. So in a node situation put one at the top of each side of the horse shoe, and then one at the bottom and call it good?

I already have a Ubuiquit AP hooked up, to a Linksys router, but I have to move my router since it's currently in that bottom right of the house and that went from living room to kitchen so I have to move it.

Shit I don't know. I want better Wifi coverage, so maybe I'm just gonna add another AP and call it good.

View attachment 291178
Bare with me, im half awake rn, coffee kicking in.

Do you have a unifi AP? Honestly a Ubiquiti amplifi mesh system may be easiest solutions. Otherwise can you run ethernet in your attic and do another AP on the ceiling in the area having issues?

Crone

Bare with me, im half awake rn, coffee kicking in.

Do you have a unifi AP? Honestly a Ubiquiti amplifi mesh system may be easiest solutions. Otherwise can you run ethernet in your attic and do another AP on the ceiling in the area having issues?
Yep, a Unifi AP just hooked hard line into a mini switch, who's hardlined into my existing router. I forgot they made their own Mesh system, and so will take a look.

I don't mind having all wireless, especially if I can get 5ghz, as the speeds are pretty nice, but having some hard lines for main computers would be even better.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yep, a Unifi AP just hooked hard line into a mini switch, who's hardlined into my existing router. I forgot they made their own Mesh system, and so will take a look.

I don't mind having all wireless, especially if I can get 5ghz, as the speeds are pretty nice, but having some hard lines for main computers would be even better.
Whats your budget? If you don't need all the configurability of unifi then go amplifi or alien. From my understanding you should see potentially better performance if you wanna do a mesh setup

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

View attachment 291178

Going from the 2.4 Ghz to 5.2 Ghz was a noticeable difference in coverage. Walls have a definite retardant affect on the shorter 5.2 Ghz wave length. Two hundred foot into the back yard, I can get full strength through the windows, but trying to go 50 foot, through 4 walls, to the back of the garage gives a huge drop off to 1 bar.

It is all in how your house is set up and how the waves can bounce around openings. You may be able to find a central location to get good coverage, such as the entry to the hallway from bedrooms to front rooms. I guess you could get 200 foot of Cat-6, and move the Ubiquiti discus around the house. Use a tacking nail, to temp hang it on the wall (as those small holes are super easy to patch), or have someone on a ladder hold it against the ceiling. Then walk around with your phone, or do network searches on various streaming devices around the house.

There is software that can map out coverage on floor plans, but the higher accuracy ones cost a wee bit of money. Here are a couple professional survey programs:
~$10,000 with the $1500 required subscription; it is currently 25% off though, so, easy!​
Only $1000, totally worth it for a single use (it does look like some bad ass software, though):​

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
At one point this was free. Not sure what it requires today but I haven’t worked with Cambium or their products for over 6 years after switching to microwave exclusively.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Router features sure have come a long way man. This Netgear Nighthawk lets you shut off devices and change admin settings via app and everything. Way better than the old one I had, which was also a Netgear router that I bought in 2007.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Finished my network. Mounted an ap ac pro in main room ceiling, ac nanohd in office then an ac mesh on side of house. Went with regular ac mesh instead of mesh pro due to mesh pro size - looks huge. I'm somewhat satisfied with mesh range. Was hoping for better.

Any unifi experts here? One thing I've noticed is that devices seem to only drop an AP for a better when signal gets really really bad. Wondering if I can get them to pick up best AP before it degrades that bad.

Crone

I feel this is an issue with portable devices in general. My phones for years will hang onto shitty wifi signal as I'm leaving the house so I'm down the street before Spotify or more annoyingly before Google Maps will work. There's apps that will auto switch you, but I found out that sucks worse when I walk around work of it ever hops it makes me sign into the network every time. There is no winning apparently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
K, the Velop 4 node system I have is getting trashed... 2700 sqft house, Amplifi (two nodes specifically) should cover it, right?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
K, the Velop 4 node system I have is getting trashed... 2700 sqft house, Amplifi (two nodes specifically) should cover it, right?
Uhhh depends. Are your walls concrete? Is it two floors? Anything odd about the layout? Can you draw a quick layout in ms paint or something and mark where the router would be located.

What's your current internet speed and what kind of speed are you expecting?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Moved into my place. Pretty stoked about how the network turned out. Blazing fast 400Mbps+ wired. On average with wireless I'm hitting 280-340Mbps but I still need to configure my unifi network some more to see if I can bump those numbers up. So far love unifi environment. Unifi tough cable cat5e is also solid.

Next I need to throw all my IoT stuff on VLAN.. Also, thinking about grabbing another unifi ap mesh and running cat5e about 100ft to it. It would be mounted on a wooden poll. I think I'll add an arlo pro 3 floodlight with pv panel to charge it. Arlo pro 3 floodlight lets you connect using just wifi - I'd use my arlo base station but it won't reach that far and unfortunately arlo doesn't really have an ideal solution, they recommend another base station connected to a powerline adapter however that won't help me much since I need something that can be outdoors.