Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So due to having extra stuff at home in order to be able to work from home (despite not being allowed to work from home for 90% of my shifts), I need to get a switch to add more ports for my router. I don't need anything fancy and would like to keep it fairly cheap, but I'd like to avoid getting something that's garbage.

Any suggestions or would any unmanaged switch from the usual brands with 5-10 ports likely get the job done?
Gig speed, powered with a plug, unmanaged and you'll be fine. I've got multiple of these around my house.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Gig speed, powered with a plug, unmanaged and you'll be fine. I've got multiple of these around my house.

I ended up grabbing an 8 port netgear switch that I'll stick on the TV stand so it can handle the PS4, Plex server and a few other devices.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Question about network topology. Can a router be at the end of a chain and still hand out DHCP addresses and provide LAN if it has to go back through multiple switches and into a patch panel? Or does it need to be directly connected to the cable modem? Would like to stick it in the office with me, but cable run terminates in patch panel upstairs.

Attachments

• networkdiagram.png
    networkdiagram.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 37

Crone

Question about network topology. Can a router be at the end of a chain and still hand out DHCP addresses and provide LAN if it has to go back through multiple switches and into a patch panel? Or does it need to be directly connected to the cable modem? Would like to stick it in the office with me, but cable run terminates in patch panel upstairs.
That network diagram is better than most I get at work. Nice job!

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Nope. DHCP can be, but not the router. The router divides your home private network from the cableprovider/internet and passes traffic back and forth. Like the security guard at a gated community. DHCP (along with many more network management services) are bundled with residential and small business routers for ease of use and management, but are not exclusive. As an example, DNS is a common part of routers but on mine i have it turned off. I use a raspberry pi as my DNS server using pihole that also does adblock filtering. I could have the pi do DHCP or other services but chose not to.

Don't think of a router as a switch full of ports you need to fill. Let a switch be a switch. Modem ----> Router ----> Switch -----> clients/remote switches.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Upgraded my Xfinity internet service to double the speed (they say) and now the wifi is slower. I have a signal booster as well, but it does fuck-all. My neighbors wifi signal is stronger than my own. Is it a matter of getting a new modem/router? Pretty fucking annoyed, given the cost of this.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Upgraded my Xfinity internet service to double the speed (they say) and now the wifi is slower. I have a signal booster as well, but it does fuck-all. My neighbors wifi signal is stronger than my own. Is it a matter of getting a new modem/router? Pretty fucking annoyed, given the cost of this.
Check signal frequency for it? 2.4GHz is "slower" but has better distance vs 5Ghz having better "speed" & less range.
Could be channel congestion? I'm not a network monkey (especially for wifi), so I might be way off.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely get a wifi scanner on your phone to show which channels are the most congested and switch to something better(if there are any) The best solution is gonna be to hard wire the essential things you want to benefit from the speed increase

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have my main desktop on a hard line, but my wife and I each have a cell phone and laptop that we use all over the house. And, despite having a rather expensive signal booster, the wifi is absolute garbage on the far side of the house. There have even been times where I've been in my office, 16 feet away from the router and the signal is from 2005.

Modem/Router is in the open and not overheating. But, it is 4 years old and I do now wonder if it's just not capable of handling the speeds anymore? Did it wear out? I dunno, its a fucking ton of money per month for super fast internet that is not super fast.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Is it a router/modem combo? I've never had one but have heard nothing but bad stuff about them. Without knowing what it is you have now it's hard to recommend new stuff that would work for you or a solution for what you could do to speed it up with the current equipment

Animosity

I have my main desktop on a hard line, but my wife and I each have a cell phone and laptop that we use all over the house. And, despite having a rather expensive signal booster, the wifi is absolute garbage on the far side of the house. There have even been times where I've been in my office, 16 feet away from the router and the signal is from 2005.

Modem/Router is in the open and not overheating. But, it is 4 years old and I do now wonder if it's just not capable of handling the speeds anymore? Did it wear out? I dunno, its a fucking ton of money per month for super fast internet that is not super fast.
Comcast makes me use a shit modem/router combo. If I leave the room my modem is in I basically have no signal on my phone. Ive complained to them so many times and they dont do anything about it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Comcast makes me use a shit modem/router combo. If I leave the room my modem is in I basically have no signal on my phone. Ive complained to them so many times and they dont do anything about it.

You absolutely can use your own router and should be able to use your own modem as well. They should have a list of approved modems on their site and you can use whatever router you want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

You absolutely can use your own router and should be able to use your own modem as well. They should have a list of approved modems on their site and you can use whatever router you want.
Gonna have to look into this then. Thanks for the tip!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have my main desktop on a hard line, but my wife and I each have a cell phone and laptop that we use all over the house. And, despite having a rather expensive signal booster, the wifi is absolute garbage on the far side of the house.
1604637807433.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The "Whole home Mesh Wifi system" looks like an interesting starting point and it's not too costly.

Does it piggy-back off of the garbage modem/router from comcast, or replace it? I have my own expensive modem not doing anything at the moment because it overrides the Comcast hardware and I can't have it plugged in at the same time. Maybe I can use that modem and add AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
100% get your own modem and something like the Amplifi, Dream Machine, or something like that. You will be the one lording over wifi channels and your neighbors will bow down to your glory.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The "Whole home Mesh Wifi system" looks like an interesting starting point and it's not too costly.

Does it piggy-back off of the garbage modem/router from comcast, or replace it? I have my own expensive modem not doing anything at the moment because it overrides the Comcast hardware and I can't have it plugged in at the same time. Maybe I can use that modem and add AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System
Get your own Modem, shop on Amazon based on the speed you want and who your ISP is.
Get the Amplifi system, it's the best entry-level grade system I've tried. Due to availability I ended up buying the AmplifiHD mesh system for a bit more ($470) but have been pretty happy.
I had a 4 Node Velop and it sucked. Velop in a 2 node worked well enough in a small (1100sqft) house, but just didn't reach through the walls in the new house (2700sqft).

Only downside to Amplifi is you can't specify daisy-chaining, even if the router sets it up correctly. I ended up having to use one extender in 2.4Ghz for reach while the other is on 5Ghz.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Looking for advise guys.

I have the xfinity XB6 modem that I was using in Bridge mode and still getting gigabit speed. Well back around the start of covid things slowed down to about half my speed and xfinity keeps saying its covid with so many at home now. Come to find out in testing and research March xfinity pushed a boot file and it is limiting the XB6 in bridge mode to about half the speed it should get and refuses to acknowledge this. So I am back into the full router/modem mode which means I can't use my own network setup with a vpn to hide the whole house or my pihole on everything since I cannot change dns on the XB6.

I can setup some of the connections to use pihole dns manually but not all. Some have ipv6 but do not allow me to set the ipv6 dns on them individually. Feeding from the xb6 in router mode to my asus router doesn't hide me behind my vpn or always use my pihole for dns.

What other solution can I do to fed the xb6 as a bridged mode to the asus router I have?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
get rid of all isp products and replace with your own

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Looking for advise guys.

I have the xfinity XB6 modem that I was using in Bridge mode and still getting gigabit speed. Well back around the start of covid things slowed down to about half my speed and xfinity keeps saying its covid with so many at home now. Come to find out in testing and research March xfinity pushed a boot file and it is limiting the XB6 in bridge mode to about half the speed it should get and refuses to acknowledge this. So I am back into the full router/modem mode which means I can't use my own network setup with a vpn to hide the whole house or my pihole on everything since I cannot change dns on the XB6.

I can setup some of the connections to use pihole dns manually but not all. Some have ipv6 but do not allow me to set the ipv6 dns on them individually. Feeding from the xb6 in router mode to my asus router doesn't hide me behind my vpn or always use my pihole for dns.

What other solution can I do to fed the xb6 as a bridged mode to the asus router I have?
you can't change your DNS on Comcast even with you're own gear. You put in your own DNS information, and it doesn't matter, as Comcast forces the DNS suffix on your connection no matter what. At least this is how it was when I tried to switch my DNS servers.