Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Got the Alien and installed it on Tuesday. It's definitely overkill, but I'm happy with it so far. Turns out my Surface Pro 7 supports ax, so that part isn't completely wasted. Download speeds are significantly improved. I got 27 MBps downloading from Steam when I used to top out around 12.

The light on it is bright as hell, but that can be dialed down or turned off completely and it's odd having a speaker in it. Only problem I had was figuring out the Linux terminal voodoo needed to get my Plex server to see the NAS again, but that's not the router's fault.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Got the Alien and installed it on Tuesday. It's definitely overkill, but I'm happy with it so far. Turns out my Surface Pro 7 supports ax, so that part isn't completely wasted. Download speeds are significantly improved. I got 27 MBps downloading from Steam when I used to top out around 12.

The light on it is bright as hell, but that can be dialed down or turned off completely and it's odd having a speaker in it. Only problem I had was figuring out the Linux terminal voodoo needed to get my Plex server to see the NAS again, but that's not the router's fault.
"Sleep mode" in the app should be able to set a time for the light to be on or off... just set it one for 1 hr a day or something.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm just using various models of mikrotik routers scattered around my house all managed by capsman. Trivial to set up and gives me various toys I can play with. I had a problem with chromecast where if sending and recieving devices were connected to different APs they wouldn't be able to cast but fixed that by enabling multicast-helper. Not sure why that helped but oh well!

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I'm just using various models of mikrotik routers scattered around my house all managed by capsman. Trivial to set up and gives me various toys I can play with. I had a problem with chromecast where if sending and recieving devices were connected to different APs they wouldn't be able to cast but fixed that by enabling multicast-helper. Not sure why that helped but oh well!

A lot of routers have an option to enable/disable broadcast related traffic.

• 1Moron

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Oooo let us know how it works. Looks pretty gucci.

It's definitely overkill, but nice. Setup was about as close to idiot proof as you can get. Had a couple random reboots the first 2 days until it finally pulled down a firmware update that it missed during setup and has been rock solid since.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
It's definitely overkill, but nice. Setup was about as close to idiot proof as you can get. Had a couple random reboots the first 2 days until it finally pulled down a firmware update that it missed during setup and has been rock solid since.
Nice. Glad to hear it was an easy setup. Ubiquiti working as intended.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Fucking HBO Max

My LG TV is hardwired into my network and i'm trying like shit to figure out how I can stream hbo max from my pc to the tv through it. I have chromecast but for some reason it hitches, lags and downgrades my streaming whenever I try it. I can easily play downloaded movies through the network and LGs built in video server, but I can't figure out how to stream over the wired network. Any ideas on how to tackle this problem?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Fucking HBO Max

My LG TV is hardwired into my network and i'm trying like shit to figure out how I can stream hbo max from my pc to the tv through it. I have chromecast but for some reason it hitches, lags and downgrades my streaming whenever I try it. I can easily play downloaded movies through the network and LGs built in video server, but I can't figure out how to stream over the wired network. Any ideas on how to tackle this problem?

Is it a Chromecast Ultra? There's an ethernet port in the power brick.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty much. This is the one I grabbed.

I actually do have the ultra - i'm still using wifi through the casting medium though right? or if I cast from my pc it will use the wire I guess ya?

that link doesn't imbed, what's the name of what you got?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I actually do have the ultra - i'm still using wifi through the casting medium though right? or if I cast from my pc it will use the wire I guess ya?

that link doesn't imbed, what's the name of what you got?

Yeah, if you use the ethernet port on the Ultra it will use that by default.

Switch is NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308). Might want to check your adblock settings if you're not seeing the embed.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, if you use the ethernet port on the Ultra it will use that by default.

Switch is NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308). Might want to check your adblock settings if you're not seeing the embed.
sweet, ordered, thanks

will update if it works

fucking hbo max

• 1Like