Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
you can't change your DNS on Comcast even with you're own gear. You put in your own DNS information, and it doesn't matter, as Comcast forces the DNS suffix on your connection no matter what. At least this is how it was when I tried to switch my DNS servers.
Yeah, only way around it is to force each pc/tablet/phone/tv to use the dns server for pihole and so far has been working but this setup I have lost my whole connection vpn protection I like to do for torrents and iptv streaming.

I have a docsis 3.1 modem I can see if they will activate so I can go back to my system setup. I really only wanted the XFI crap for the unlimited internet since doing that was $25 vs $50 on my old gigabit plan.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Intermittent wireless probably are probably my least favorite type of problems to trouble shoot. My wife's iPhone continues to have wireless connection issues. These problems have persisted across 2 iPhones, and 2 routers.

Upgraded my router a while ago from ASUS RT-66 , the N-band version, to a newer Linksys router that also broadcasts AC.

Wife's iPhone 6s wireless will just straight up not work, and she'll have to disconnect/reconnect. Or she'll be browsing Facebook and all of a sudden it'll tell her poor connection. Then she upgraded to the new iPhone XR, and it's now doing the same thing? Having her switch to the 5ghz network helped a little, but not really.

I get a weird feeling that it'll be some random setting on the router that Apple play nice with, but this doesn't happen on my daughters old iPad, so why just the wifes iPhone?

Any help appreciated.
This is happening again. According to the wife, it never stopped happening on her iPhone, and I just got the iPhone 12 mini on Friday and it's already happening on mine. Typically noticed in the morning, but I wake up, try to load say this forum, it'll time out. Come back to it 10-15 minutes later, and the page will load. If you want it fixed right away, you have to disconnect and re-connect to the WiFi. Same devices as above. Same routers. I can try forgetting network settings again, and resetting DHCP or something on the router?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ordered a Ubiquiti system to give it a try. Fingers crossed it works better than the XFinity hardware.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I had endless wifi issues with my Asus router and Apple devices. Switched to Ubiquiti and no problems since.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
dumb question, if someone did this with a server with internet access, is this quite a security risk?

1606315831007.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
dumb question, if someone did this with a server with internet access, is this quite a security risk?

View attachment 319796
I mean... it's dumb as hell, running HTTP on the standard HTTPS port, but I don't think it's a huge security risk? I'm not really familiar with the MS side of IIS so I can't tell if their is context from the page.

Just having the server exposed to the internet is dumb... should be fronted by a fw or something....

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

View attachment 319796

This doesn't indicate anything regarding security. All it indicates is someone has bound port 443 to http (should be https) on all unassigned IP addresses in IIS-- you couldn't have a functional web server without this setting. "Security" will come from other factors, like whether it's behind a firewall, reverse proxy, and what the web server is running.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This doesn't indicate anything regarding security. All it indicates is someone has bound port 443 to http (should be https) on all unassigned IP addresses in IIS-- you couldn't have a functional web server without this setting. "Security" will come from other factors, like whether it's behind a firewall, reverse proxy, and what the web server is running.
I'd expect HTTP on port 80 and HTTPS to on port 443 and a certificate being in place. I think they just want to run the application server softwarethey bought from us without the "major hassle" of the mandatory server certificate. I wish I had inspected the config files to check if they also had commented out all the lines about the certificate.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'd expect HTTP on port 80 and HTTPS to on port 443 and a certificate being in place. I think they just want to run the application server softwarethey bought from us without the "major hassle" of the mandatory server certificate. I wish I had inspected the config files to check if they also had commented out all the lines about the certificate.

You can't establish an SSL connection without some form of certificate. Honestly, with free LetsEncrypt certs out there, there's no reason not to have a cert. Not to mention any site that is not SSL protected will now display a warning in chrome.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can't establish an SSL connection without some form of certificate. Honestly, with free LetsEncrypt certs out there, there's no reason not to have a cert. Not to mention any site that is not SSL protected will now display a warning in chrome.
Our software isn't browser based. From what I've seen, it runs perfectly fine without the certificate if you make sure the software never checks for it. Our customers aren't IT, quite often I can access their IIS splash page from my own web browser.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Our software isn't browser based. From what I've seen, it runs perfectly fine without the certificate if you make sure the software never checks for it. Our customers aren't IT, quite often I can access their IIS splash page from my own web browser.

Interesting. It may not be browser based but I was under the assumption that IIS wouldn't serve up data over https without a cert in place, but that may explain why they would try hacking port 443 over http instead.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got one of the Ubiquiti systems and using my own modem. It's silly how much better it is than the Xfinity hardware. Thanks for the recommendations.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Got one of the Ubiquiti systems and using my own modem. It's silly how much better it is than the Xfinity hardware. Thanks for the recommendations.
About to do the same thing. What setup did you go with?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About to do the same thing. What setup did you go with?

I got the AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System. Its idiot-proof and does exactly what I needed, which is move the signal from the top left of the house to the bottom right, through tons of walls. It might not be the most efficient for gamers or large families, but for us its perfect.

Crone

What is Ubiquiti's equivalent to a home router? The Dream Machine is basically it, but still with tons more control?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The dream machine is an all in one unit vs buying a particular security gateway(router), switch, and access point(s) that you can purchase to build to your needs.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I bought a Dream Machine about 2 months ago and I've been extremely happy. Already had 2 AP's so wanted to stay in the Unifi ecosystem even though I didn't really need it. Paired it with an Arris Surfboard DOCSIS 3.1 and pull down about 125 MB/s on well seeded torrents.

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user