Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know you love to LARP, but I am already way past what I actually need. And mind you my entire house is wired with Cat6 and tons of automation. I have three VLANs configured, one for guests, one for our automation/media devices, and a work one set up with all the bandwidth prioritization how I want it. I have a 24 port non POE driving my media devices in my livingroom and one in the main closet with PoE powering my various APs and smaller switches in specific rooms. Massive overkill, even with full work at home (even with wife DoD and me having been DHS), but it all works and does what I want. If power goes out and Spectrum takes a shit, my cellular modem takes over without interruption and my entire network stays up for 2 hours (longer if I shut down my NAS). Again overkill, but I have not missed a minute of work to any sort of outage except for when we had the snowpocolypse down here last year. A well set up Unifi network is pretty damn sweet, if you do all the port management, security, and other tweaks.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I know you love to LARP, but I am already way past what I actually need. And mind you my entire house is wired with Cat6 and tons of automation. I have three VLANs configured, one for guests, one for our automation/media devices, and a work one set up with all the bandwidth prioritization how I want it. I have a 24 port non POE driving my media devices in my livingroom and one in the main closet with PoE powering my various APs and smaller switches in specific rooms. Massive overkill, even with full work at home (even with wife DoD and me having been DHS), but it all works and does what I want. If power goes out and Spectrum takes a shit, my cellular modem takes over without interruption and my entire network stays up for 2 hours (longer if I shut down my NAS). Again overkill, but I have not missed a minute of work to any sort of outage except for when we had the snowpocolypse down here last year. A well set up Unifi network is pretty damn sweet, if you do all the port management, security, and other tweaks.
Dunno how many kids you have but I have 3 teenagers now and my wife has a computer, I feel like a full time IT guy. I have dropped new ethernet into rooms that my house didn't have it, recently upgraded wireless, all the kids computers run backups to the NAS so I can restore their shit when they inevitably fuck it up.. there's laptops now, ipads...

Nightmare

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Zero kids. I don't do snapshots of our personal devices, but we all pretty much exclusively store our shit ion a raid 10 8 drive NAS that backs up to Azure daily. At least the remote management tools for tablets and phones have improved for the consumer market. Been looking into that shit more and more since once my current phone is done I want to completely divorce myself from google for good.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Dunno how many kids you have but I have 3 teenagers now and my wife has a computer, I feel like a full time IT guy. I have dropped new ethernet into rooms that my house didn't have it, recently upgraded wireless, all the kids computers run backups to the NAS so I can restore their shit when they inevitably fuck it up.. there's laptops now, ipads...

Nightmare
Unifi and forget. I mean ya if you’re gonna go to the trouble of backing their shit up for them then I can see why it would be a headache.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Zero kids. I don't do snapshots of our personal devices, but we all pretty much exclusively store our shit ion a raid 10 8 drive NAS that backs up to Azure daily. At least the remote management tools for tablets and phones have improved for the consumer market. Been looking into that shit more and more since once my current phone is done I want to completely divorce myself from google for good.
How much is that costing you? I’ve been backing up my NAS to backblaze for a few years. Open to other options.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so this white guy from portland did the tech version of this
edpbd2x9rs621.jpg

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Does the Alien router have a USB slot? It doesn't appear to but frankly the website isn't very helpful.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
it's one of my dislikes with ubiquiti(alien stuff as well) is the lack of usb on there stuff.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I’m having a hard time finding an IOS app that shows what channels the WiFi signals in range are using. Think I’m getting a conflict with the neighbors that recently moved in.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
You’re being a potato about this.
Well hate to say it but : you are correct.

Pulled the trigger on the Alien & mesh just now. It's way more than I need but fuck it, I'll be able to get on my wifi 3 streets down!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I need to get on the ball with this stuff, but there's nothing that's really that important that I need to back up. I don't really care if my games get wiped out. Or if all my movies get wiped out. Meh. Don't really care.

The biggest issue I have is that across multiple iPhones, my wife has issues with connectivity. It's for sure her phone, but resetting the network settings multiple times hasn't helped. The biggest complaint is she has to turn off WiFi whenever she gets on Facetime otherwise she gets the "bad connection" message and the video cuts out. Used to also seem to go to "sleep" and not restore itself after long idle times like overnight, and again would have to disconnect WiFi, and re-connect to fix it. That seems to have gone away though with the switch to Ubiquiti dream machine router.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’m having a hard time finding an IOS app that shows what channels the WiFi signals in range are using. Think I’m getting a conflict with the neighbors that recently moved in.

I remember looking for this at some point and reading that it wasn’t a thing due to restrictions on iOS. This may have changed because for a minute I was using Android and I think the app WiFi Analyzer did this for me. Nice graph with overlapping channels, bandwidth, showed SSID, Encryption type. All on one window. Then after moving to iPhone there was nothing that worked natively within the phone/OS. Been probably 4 years since I looked though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users