Routers & Other Networking Stuff

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone used the mikrotik home router? Planning my new home internet set, for probably cox cable. Want to future roof a bit where it makes sense. No fiber yet available yet, I think

I'm thinking.
Arris Sb8200 modem
Mikrotik (RB760iGS)
Tp-link deco mesh
1gb switch for the hardwired stuff

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I’ve looked through the last few pages and it’s like Greek to me. Any place I could get a crash course on WiFi equipment? Alternately, recommendations here would be cool.
I have a 3400sqft house that could use better WiFi coverage in far rooms for TVs that stream shit. It’s noticeably worse on the farther ones than the main one that’s close to the router I have. I need some sort of booster or a stronger router? What’s a mesh? This shit makes me feel old and stupid.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I’ve looked through the last few pages and it’s like Greek to me. Any place I could get a crash course on WiFi equipment? Alternately, recommendations here would be cool.
I have a 3400sqft house that could use better WiFi coverage in far rooms for TVs that stream shit. It’s noticeably worse on the farther ones than the main one that’s close to the router I have. I need some sort of booster or a stronger router? What’s a mesh? This shit makes me feel old and stupid.
Damn dude. Lol

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Damn dude. Lol

No but really, try reading the last few pages and pretend you don’t know what any of these mean, only guesses:
POE
AP (access point?)
LR6
Pihole
AVP
Mesh
Several others

I’m pretty sure AP is access point based on context, but I’m not 100% sure what an access point is. I’m pretty sure it’s what, any thing that allows a device access to the internet? So my house has 1 AP, my router?

This Alien thing people are talking about is anywhere from $380-700 as far as I can tell. That’s a lot of money to spend without knowing whether it’s really what I need, or if it would even fix my issues. My guess is my farthest tv has issues because the WiFi signal is having to go through multiple walls and a floor/ceiling. This is good to know! Do I know the best solution? Not even a fucking clue. I’m guessing I could add an AP at that end of the house, but I don’t know what a non-router AP is nor how to get one to work.

I don’t want to go to best buy and have some 22 year old fag explain stuff to me and HOPE he’s not just full of shit. I came here figuring I could get a recommendation or at least a reference to a place I could read up on this shit. Maybe I should just find a WiFi for dummies book.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is because the terms have all become jumbled up through misuse and marketing proliferation.

You basically want a main source for your Internet, WiFi, Modem, Router, whatever you want to call it. Then you're going to take one of the "AP" devices and place it within overlapping coverage from that central location. This will "extend" your coverage in to that area where it is weaker.

The Alien, Ubiquiti, Orbi, and other systems make this very painless and straightforward. While there are other options that allow you to customize and do it manually. You can also buy just little plug-in extenders but I don't like them, only tried a couple of my mom's place.

I also don't know how to use Google Slides or whatever it is called, so here's my best 5 minute drawing for you...

1637417764127.png

Mesh is a buzzword now, but whatever. No one is sitting at home doing channel planning for self healing networks. I mean, someone is, but not for my home network.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 2 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
No but really, try reading the last few pages and pretend you don’t know what any of these mean, only guesses:
POE
AP (access point?)
LR6
Pihole
AVP
Mesh
Several others

I’m pretty sure AP is access point based on context, but I’m not 100% sure what an access point is. I’m pretty sure it’s what, any thing that allows a device access to the internet? So my house has 1 AP, my router?

This Alien thing people are talking about is anywhere from $380-700 as far as I can tell. That’s a lot of money to spend without knowing whether it’s really what I need, or if it would even fix my issues. My guess is my farthest tv has issues because the WiFi signal is having to go through multiple walls and a floor/ceiling. This is good to know! Do I know the best solution? Not even a fucking clue. I’m guessing I could add an AP at that end of the house, but I don’t know what a non-router AP is nor how to get one to work.

I don’t want to go to best buy and have some 22 year old fag explain stuff to me and HOPE he’s not just full of shit. I came here figuring I could get a recommendation or at least a reference to a place I could read up on this shit. Maybe I should just find a WiFi for dummies book.
Order some AVP Mesh and shove it up your Pihole to achieve LR6-level Nirvana

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

POE
AP (access point?)
LR6
Pihole
AVP
Mesh
Several others

If you want to go Unifi, you can start in the $120 to $250 range and step it up as needed, you can buy 1 lite disk (access point) for $99 or 1 long range disk (access point) for $179, and place it at the opposite side of the house from the router. See if that gets enough coverage. The more walls there are, the less distance the signal will travel, so the best places to install them are on the ceilings in hallways, or in big open rooms (that don't often have shut doors). If you use the POE feature (highly recommended), you will also need to buy a powered switch or injector (described in brief, below).

EDIT2: For a full Unifi setup, you need a bunch of stuff, like a controller to house the software, called a cloud key, a replacement router, a switch, etc., but (according to the internet) you can just add an access point for $100 and a PoE injector for ~$10 to get started. Once the access point is on your network, you can use the Unifi app to set it up.

How that set up would work look: Outside Internet connection -> (Cat6 (or Coax, depending on service)) into router -> (Cat6) into powered switch -> (Cat6: long run) into access point (Unifi disk) -> (wireless) into to TV

My unqualified and amateur opinion: Two of the $99 lite disks in halls close to the opposite corners of your house (from your router) should cover everything, but 1 might do it. If you buy just one first, you can kind of test it out, by running a long Cat 6 on the floor, to wherever you think it may work, and hang the disk with a small nail (or on one of those double sided tape hangers) on the wall closest to the celling mount (if you are putting it on the celling). Then walk around with a laptop/tablet/phone and measure strength. TVs usually have cheaper receivers than phones/tablets, so defiantly check them too.

There are some tools out there, that if you upload your floor plan, they will inaccurately estimate coverage, but I have never used one, so don't know much about it.

Reference:
POE is power over ethernet: It allows you to use a powered switch to send the power as well as the internet connection through the Cat6 line and not needs a separate wire and outlet to power the device. EDIT: You can inject power into the Cat6 run using a PoE Injector for $6 to $20.

PiHole is an add blocker for your whole network, but it is easy to look up, so I assume you already googled it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

In reference to general knowledge and walkthroughs, I used a couple videos from The Hook Up channel to help set up the Unifi software (firewall & VLAN).

He has a ton of videos though, so here is one talking about WIFI in general and a simplified explanation:

Here is a 3 part video on 2021 Unifi WIFI set up (I think he is big enough that manufacturers may send him equipment for free)(I didn't watch these and it looks like the full set up is major overkill, but he talks about Unifi's newest software and equipment):

Here is the video I used for setting up my system, for reference:

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
POE
AP (access point?)
LR6
Pihole
AVP
Mesh
Several others

None of those buzzwords matter. Most networks are plug and play these days.

Just get a unifi mesh system. Reference their website and get what you need.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Y’all gonna steer Seananigans Seananigans in the wrong direction. Sean unless you’re willing to manage and config your own network I’d stay away from unifi product line of ubiquiti’s.

How much dime do you have to drop? I assume you prefer something that’s pretty much plug and play?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
is it 3400st/ft tall or wide? how many floors you got and how many sq/ft per floor

also i assume you want wifi in your backyard?

how much coverage is that.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Y’all gonna steer Seananigans Seananigans in the wrong direction. Sean unless you’re willing to manage and config your own network I’d stay away from unifi product line of ubiquiti’s.

How much dime do you have to drop? I assume you prefer something that’s pretty much plug and play?
They have a consumer mesh product.

He’s acting like he doesn’t have more than a couple hundred bucks.

• 1Seriously?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
They have a consumer mesh product.

He’s acting like he doesn’t have more than a couple hundred bucks.
Right and it’s not called “unifi” so don’t say unifi yo. Ubiquiti mesh hd is an option but if the dude can’t shell out a few hundo for it then he’s SOL

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
POE
AP (access point?)
LR6
Pihole
AVP
Mesh

POE - Power over Ethernet - An injector or POE capable switch adds power to a CAT5/6 cable. Devices that can run on POE can power themselves from the network cable, no need for a power source. This is useful for wall or ceiling mounting devices as you only need to run the Cat5/6 cable, no power.

AP - Access Point - either hardwired into your network to provide Wireless or potentially Mesh capable where it connects to an existing Wi-Fi and re-shares the signal, basically leapfrogging to extend it out. Newer models have "Tri-Band" where alongside the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands used by devices they have a 6ghz band used for this AP to AP connection called a back-haul.

LR6 - Long Range 6 - model of Ubiquiti AP - It utilizes Wi-Fi 6 and has a 4x4 antenna setup to allow better range and/or better handling of multiple clients. They also have a cheaper model the 6Lite with a 2x2 antenna

PiHole - A self hosted DNS server running on a Raspberry Pi. DNS is what handles translating a website you type in the IP that computers understand. PiHole is a middleman that maintains a blacklist of malicious sites and Ads. Any traffic attempting to reach these sources will be blocked, the rest gets through fine. This allows adblocking and some security benefits with nothing being locally installed on computers/phones/tablets/etc.

AVP - not sure? Advanced Virus Protection? normally AV within Network equipment is called DPI - Deep Pack Inspection - Allowing the equipment to monitor files transmitted and block potential harmful data

Mesh - See AP - Access Point

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
For plug and play solutions I know a coworker used the Tri-Band EERO's to great success.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
is it 3400st/ft tall or wide? how many floors you got and how many sq/ft per floor

also i assume you want wifi in your backyard?

how much coverage is that.

2 floors, roughly square and plenty of footage on both floors. Backyard isn't a big deal, just a bonus I guess. Also have no issue with cost, the unicorn faggot mistook reluctance to shell out hundreds for an unknown quantity.

Most people have been quite helpful, and I definitely have enough info now to figure out what's best for me. Mostly just the rainbow unicorns that were unhelpful.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just stopping by to say my AmpliFi Alien WiFi 6 Mesh is still giving me a rock hard boner a month or two later. Greatest networking device I've purchased. Prior mesh network was a fucking turd compared to a single Alien node providing me 750mb up/down in 90% of my household.

I have probably an average amount of networking knowledge and can confirm with the Alien you can be from the stone-age and not fuck this up. It's plug and play with the app.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
AmpliFi Alien WiFi

FYI guys this is $100 off today. Finally picked one up after delaying it so long.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
FYI guys this is $100 off today. Finally picked one up after delaying it so long.

Thanks, tempted to buy another

• 1Like