Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Got so frustrated with my printer and desktop wifi today that almost impulse bought the Alien, then talked myself out of it. The UDM Pro is really what I want to do with combination of wired devices, wireless devices, and cameras. Damn thing just isn't in stock though. Maybe I can spend the time wiring up the house and getting things in place then by the time a notify goes out for the UDM Pro I'll be good to go.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They have a discord you can hang out in that will announce availability on stuff before any sort of other notifications happen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Haven't bought a modem in a while, but need to get one once we move (RIP fiber, you'll be missed) and we'll be on Comcast's gigabit internet. There any recommendations these days for one that's decent but not too pricey? Don't need a modem/router combo, as I already have an Orbi mesh router.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Haven't bought a modem in a while, but need to get one once we move (RIP fiber, you'll be missed) and we'll be on Comcast's gigabit internet. There any recommendations these days for one that's decent but not too pricey? Don't need a modem/router combo, as I already have an Orbi mesh router.
these are the ones that are for giga (mines at 600 currently) (obviously just choose the ones w/o router, moto mb8611 seems the best dealio)
f15b70570bb0dda02ebb73f6e26397f3.png

you might want to double check your offers, i'm currently using the xfinity big shit router cuz it was free for a year anyway

amazon sells the s33 refurb for 140

Kiki

Log Wizard
Motorolla is the way to go, fuck that netgear junk. Back in the day we would get surfboards on Timewarner with docsis 3.0 before their modems had it.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm having some network issues and hoping that someone here has been down a similar road.

My ISP recently replaced my malfunctioning modem with an Arris CM9200. It does NOT play nice with my Netgear Orbi setup at home. Hardwired directly to the modem, my connection is pristine. As soon as I introduce the Orbi I get 20-40% packet loss from any connected device. This was not previously happening in the 3-4 years I've had the Orbi. I've tested the CM9200 with an old Asus router and everything is fine. However, I'd really like to have the wifi range and guest network capabilities from the Orbi + satellite.

Research indicates that Netgear's firmware is shitty, and some folks have had luck downgrading to one older version or another. I've tried a couple with no real luck.

Anyone have similar experience or any ideas? Obviously I could buy a new mesh network setup, but I'd prefer not to.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm having some network issues and hoping that someone here has been down a similar road.

My ISP recently replaced my malfunctioning modem with an Arris CM9200. It does NOT play nice with my Netgear Orbi setup at home. Hardwired directly to the modem, my connection is pristine. As soon as I introduce the Orbi I get 20-40% packet loss from any connected device. This was not previously happening in the 3-4 years I've had the Orbi. I've tested the CM9200 with an old Asus router and everything is fine. However, I'd really like to have the wifi range and guest network capabilities from the Orbi + satellite.

Research indicates that Netgear's firmware is shitty, and some folks have had luck downgrading to one older version or another. I've tried a couple with no real luck.

Anyone have similar experience or any ideas? Obviously I could buy a new mesh network setup, but I'd prefer not to.
I'm just shooting from the hip, but have you tried searching if there are any ports the Orbi uses that need to be opened on the Arris?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

just to get it out of the way, updated firmware on 9200 and orbi? or still using the "old" firmware like you said

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Does the packet loss exist on both wired and wireless connections to / through the Orbi? I know you mention hard wired above but didn’t know if that meant, to everyone, a client laptop connected directly to the CM or the Orbi.

If it happens both wireless and wifi through the Orbi, is it possible there’s an auto negotiation issue between the CM and Orbi?

I’ve had Ciena, Adtran, Aviat microwave, or RFLs all act strange when doing testing prior to turning up a circuit because one device decided not to auto negotiate nicely and we had to hard set the ports to 1000.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I know you mention hard wired above but didn’t know if that meant, to everyone, a client laptop connected directly to the CM or the Orbi.
Yes, ethernet directly to modem/router, respectively. I've had so many different hardware configurations set up that I didn't actually test wifi packet loss.

Does the packet loss exist on both wired and wireless connections to / through the Orbi?... If it happens both wireless and wifi through the Orbi, is it possible there’s an auto negotiation issue between the CM and Orbi?
May well be, but that's kinda beyond my pay grade to troubleshoot.

For the moment, I've achieved a possible solution. I demoted the Orbi from router to AP and am running an Asus RT-N66U in front of it, which I actually prefer because the Asus firmware has better admin controls (Orbi has no configurable QoS features). I have all ethernet traffic going through the Asus and disabled the wifi there, and no wired devices to the Orbi or satellite, with them handling wifi. For the moment, I have good speeds, good signal range, low pings, and zero packet loss wired and wifi. Phew.

From the research I was doing, it appears that Orbis can have unexplainable trouble with their ethernet ports. Mine was fine in my previous setup with the older modem, but totally shit the bed with the new one. I'd go back to the old one, except that one caused ping spikes to 300 ms several times a minute between me and the ISP and we just spent a month trying to troubleshoot that problem.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone have verizon 5g home? gonna switch to it soon cuz wife got iphone13 so she also has to upgrade the plan, and that plan allowed 5g home to be 50% off

Daidraco

anyone have verizon 5g home? gonna switch to it soon cuz wife got iphone13 so she also has to upgrade the plan, and that plan allowed 5g home to be 50% off
Neighbors have it and love it. Ive heard zero complaints from them. I've got Shentel cable-internet and I swear I have more problems with that company than they do with Verizon.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I've mainly used Netgear consumer products but recently picked up the Asus RT-AX89X router which has some really nice, more advanced features that the top end consumer Netgear routers don't provide like WAN failover or WAN load balancing.

I was able to combine fiber 5gig speeds plus Xfinity 1.2 gig (before I canceled) to pull off the following

1652554006419.png

• 5Mother of God
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Burns

Hekotat Hekotat was looking at 5G a few months ago as well; did either of yall end up signing up for the 5g plan? If so, which modem did yall get?

I'm thinking of trying to get the ATT 5G for business, as the cost is half that of fixed wireless, and 5G is advertised as up to 200Mbit down. Currently, ATT 5G is $65, vs Fixed Wireless 100Mbit for $140

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hekotat Hekotat was looking at 5G a few months ago as well; did either of yall end up signing up for the 5g plan? If so, which modem did yall get?

I'm thinking of trying to get the ATT 5G for business, as the cost is half that of fixed wireless, and 5G is advertised as up to 200gbit down. Currently, ATT 5G is $65, vs Fixed Wireless 100gbit for $140

I'm still not in range, I'm using Verizon Buisness internet (Which is a scam) but at least it's something.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I'm thinking of trying to get the ATT 5G for business, as the cost is half that of fixed wireless, and 5G is advertised as up to 200Mbit down. Currently, ATT 5G is $65, vs Fixed Wireless 100Mbit for $140
my plan changes on jun4 then i can sign up to get 50% off

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Got so frustrated with my printer and desktop wifi today that almost impulse bought the Alien, then talked myself out of it. The UDM Pro is really what I want to do with combination of wired devices, wireless devices, and cameras. Damn thing just isn't in stock though. Maybe I can spend the time wiring up the house and getting things in place then by the time a notify goes out for the UDM Pro I'll be good to go.
UDM pro is king. Sign up for B&H notifications for them. I get notifies once a week.