Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd look at Ubiquiti stuff if you want a POTS solution, they have fairly cheap products made for this.

$120 for 2 antennas with POE injectors isn't bad.
You can also do some custom job if you really wanted to learn more about it, any router that you can install one of the open source wifi router firm wares on would work if you can install a standard bullet style antenna to it. Could have the router inside and only the antenna sitting outside as long as you can run the cable through a wall somewhere and seal it up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I had to shitcan my fiber install. The sales guy swore up and down I could use my own router. Actually he said "modem and router" which I thought was kind of weird though it made sense when the installer came out. Anyway installer guy comes out says I have to use his modem and router but could bridge my router to his to which I said hell no. I figured it would be like the other fiber company in my area where they run an optical cable straight to the ONT and put it wherever you want it. AT&T does that dumb commo box shit with the coax on the side of the house - of which he also said he could not re-use my TWC one.

It also turns out that you can use your own router, but it has to be able to do a PPPoE login and vlan tag the traffic on the WAN port.... That's just some obtuse shit to keep people from using their own equipment, I can't even think of another reason for that.

The other fiber company (metronet I think?) sounds better, but they aren't in my neighborhood yet. Supposedly they will be available late this year or early next year so I'm really hoping that winds up being true. Spectrum also has a 1G plan with the cable now, but it's like 114.99 a month compared to the 64.99 both fiber companies charge.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Verizon is using NYC as a testbed for higher fiber speeds. 2-gigabit FIOS for $120 with some promos included, other test markets rolling out this year.

The biggest problem is going to be intermediary hardware, switches that handle above 1G are noticeably more expensive so you'd have to direct line into the router to take advantage of it. PS5/Xbox are still on 1G, streaming hardware has the same problem, and Wifi is not going to handle that well so you're only looking at modern motherboards with 2.5G NICs or higher.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Verizon is using NYC as a testbed for higher fiber speeds. 2-gigabit FIOS for $120 with some promos included, other test markets rolling out this year.

The biggest problem is going to be intermediary hardware, switches that handle above 1G are noticeably more expensive so you'd have to direct line into the router to take advantage of it. PS5/Xbox are still on 1G, streaming hardware has the same problem, and Wifi is not going to handle that well so you're only looking at modern motherboards with 2.5G NICs or higher.

Most of your bandwidth gets degraded between multiple devices anyways, so isn't the main bottleneck to worry about the router?

Like, even if you get 2G bandwidth and have a router that supports 2G, nothing is gonna get pure 2G unless you turn off all your devices or directly plug in and then turn off your devices correct? I'm not being precise at all, but the general idea carries hopefully.

Malakriss

Most of your bandwidth gets degraded between multiple devices anyways, so isn't the main bottleneck to worry about the router?

Like, even if you get 2G bandwidth and have a router that supports 2G, nothing is gonna get pure 2G unless you turn off all your devices or directly plug in and then turn off your devices correct? I'm not being precise at all, but the general idea carries hopefully.
Devices not in use or running passively should be using small amounts of bandwidth, even 4K streaming services max out around 25Mbps. In the realm of "Above 1-gigabit" 2G is extremely low and would not solve many problems if 1G is not enough, it's merely a test point for potential 5/10/20/40G.

If I wanted to upgrade to 2/5/10G Verizon would need to run a new ethernet line (probably cat 6a) from the ONT to where my router is in addition to swapping that out. Devices in that room with a 2.5G/10G NIC could make use of it, but they are likely going to lean entirely on Wifi which will be the main bottleneck.

Can you download an update faster than 100 MBps right now? Probably not. But when we can getting it to devices PAST the router is going to be the problem on the home user end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
... AT&T Fiber Install postponed indefinitely until I can be bothered to fish a line from my crawlspace through the wall to prepare for AT&T to drop the fiber line under my house...
I had to shitcan my fiber install. The sales guy swore up and down I could use my own router... installer guy comes out says I have to use his modem and router but could bridge my router to his to which I said hell no...

It also turns out that you can use your own router, but it has to be able to do a PPPoE login and vlan tag the traffic on the WAN port.... That's just some obtuse shit to keep people from using their own equipment, I can't even think of another reason for that.

The other fiber company (metronet I think?) sounds better, but they aren't in my neighborhood yet. Supposedly they will be available late this year or early next year so I'm really hoping that winds up being true. Spectrum also has a 1G plan with the cable now, but it's like 114.99 a month compared to the 64.99 both fiber companies charge.

I've now got the passthrough for the fiber cable to come in through the crawlspace and out my wall behind the desk, but I'm in the same boat as you... I'd have to link my mesh router to their combo modem/router, and I'm not sure how well that'll work.

Do I need to cancel my fiber install?

Kiki

Log Wizard
If they don't use dhcp/static, and use PPPoE then you will need a router that does PPPoE. I have fiber and it is dhcp so i just use my own router.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
hmm, yeah I duno if I want to go through with this, only to have it suck and have to cancel it.
I found this link, which seems to suggest that I can do what you're describing, but I'm easily frustrated by networking problems so just as likely to give up as I am to go through with it.

I am currently connected via Spectrum's coax cable modem and my own Google Mesh Wifi router.
AT&T Fiber requires me to use their own modem/router combo unit, but I want to keep my own Mesh Wifi.

I think I can set AT&T's combo unit to bridge mode and use my existing router so I don't set up 2 networks, right?
Would there be any other concerns regarding speed, security, or something else I'm not thinking of?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
hmm, yeah I duno if I want to go through with this, only to have it suck and have to cancel it.
I found this link, which seems to suggest that I can do what you're describing, but I'm easily frustrated by networking problems so just as likely to give up as I am to go through with it.

I am currently connected via Spectrum's coax cable modem and my own Google Mesh Wifi router.
AT&T Fiber requires me to use their own modem/router combo unit, but I want to keep my own Mesh Wifi.

I think I can set AT&T's combo unit to bridge mode and use my existing router so I don't set up 2 networks, right?
Would there be any other concerns regarding speed, security, or something else I'm not thinking of?
Shitty AT&T hardware is why I switched. Got tired of dealing with it.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
well, fiber install done. begin troubleshooting.

I'm getting 700mb down/up to the AT&T ONT, and the same when I connect my computer via ethernet directly into the AT&T Router (BWG320).
I'm getting about 500 down/up to my phone (galaxy s22 plus) on the AT&T Router's WIFI.
So far, all good.

I connected my existing Google Wifi (AC1200) router to the AT&T Router, and enabled IP Passthrough on AT&T's router settings, also disabling its own 2.4 and 5ghz WIFI so as to avoid interference with the Google Wifi system.

Any device connected to the Google WIFI network gest about 15 down/7 up.
I plugged my desktop directly into the Google WIFI Router via ethernet, and it gets 15 down/7 up

wtf.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Either the AT&T router can't handle passthrough , or your google router is toast. I would test with another device.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I ran some numbers, and I cant make sense of it.

Spectrum Cable Modem Ethernet to PC: 226D / 12U
Spectrum Cable Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Ethernet to PC: 215D / 12U
Spectrum Cable Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Wifi to Phone: 215D / 12U

AT&T Fiber @ ONT: 664D / 658U
AT&T Fiber Modem Ethernet to PC: 613D / 587U
AT&T Fiber Modem Wifi to Phone: 621D / 629U

AT&T Fiber Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Ethernet to PC: 215D / 12U
AT&T Fiber Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Wifi to Phone: 211D / 10U

It seems like something with the Google Mesh Wifi is capping me at around 215MB/s, even when connected via ethernet all the way back to the fiber modem.

So, by the time I ran these all of these tests and finished this post, Google Home Wifi on my phone is clocking me at 608D / 145U, and Google's browser based speed test (which I've used for all my phone Wifi tests above) shows me at 326D / 512U

I cant make any sense of this.

I guess the good news is that now everything seems to be faster than my previous 215mbps cap. this shit is all arbitrary wizardry.

Kiki

Log Wizard
That's ambiguous, we still don't know if the gwifi can handle above 215. Try new (good) router, if it fails then it's the passthrough.

Burns

I ran some numbers, and I cant make sense of it.

Spectrum Cable Modem Ethernet to PC: 226D / 12U
Spectrum Cable Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Ethernet to PC: 215D / 12U
Spectrum Cable Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Wifi to Phone: 215D / 12U

AT&T Fiber @ ONT: 664D / 658U
AT&T Fiber Modem Ethernet to PC: 613D / 587U
AT&T Fiber Modem Wifi to Phone: 621D / 629U

AT&T Fiber Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Ethernet to PC: 215D / 12U
AT&T Fiber Modem Ethernet to GWifi, Wifi to Phone: 211D / 10U

It seems like something with the Google Mesh Wifi is capping me at around 215MB/s, even when connected via ethernet all the way back to the fiber modem.

So, by the time I ran these all of these tests and finished this post, Google Home Wifi on my phone is clocking me at 608D / 145U, and Google's browser based speed test (which I've used for all my phone Wifi tests above) shows me at 326D / 512U

I cant make any sense of this.

I guess the good news is that now everything seems to be faster than my previous 215mbps cap. this shit is all arbitrary wizardry.
If you get desperate enough, could try a factory reset of everything, then a cold start. Unplug all your equipment for a few minutes after the reset, then plug everything back in, starting with the ONT and working down the line toward your hardwired computer.

...or try the cold start procedure first (technically, I think most equipment only needs to be unpluged for 30 seconds), and see if they somehow magickly works, then do the factory reset try as last resort.