Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Which is why I asked for suggestions on a new router. Not my fault you dorks thought there was some sort of "mysterious" cause.
I was waiting for someone else to reply, but I guess no one has any good input. I think we were all trying to just save you money until we found out just how old your router is, not with the intention to be dicks hehe.

Im very particular about Asus routers, now. I used to have Netgear stuff, but I think as time goes - it updates itself into planned obsolescence or something. It just doesnt make sense to me how one day a Netgear router will be fine, if not awesome, and then the next day it just be a huge piece of shit. Ive had Asus routers since.. I want to say 2011? 2012? and the only reason I replaced the one I had last year is because Lightning ate its ass up somehow.

I have this one now and my phone has full strength signal all the way down to my dock. I turned off a few of its annoying features, but I feel like I'll get at least a decade out of this one if not more (unless something drastically changes, which isnt very likely.) Oh, and it supports Mesh and all that other shit if you ever plan to do more, but I just dont think its needed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I was waiting for someone else to reply, but I guess no one has any good input. I think we were all trying to just save you money until we found out just how old your router is, not with the intention to be dicks hehe.

Im very particular about Asus routers, now. I used to have Netgear stuff, but I think as time goes - it updates itself into planned obsolescence or something. It just doesnt make sense to me how one day a Netgear router will be fine, if not awesome, and then the next day it just be a huge piece of shit. Ive had Asus routers since.. I want to say 2011? 2012? and the only reason I replaced the one I had last year is because Lightning ate its ass up somehow.

I have this one now and my phone has full strength signal all the way down to my dock. I turned off a few of its annoying features, but I feel like I'll get at least a decade out of this one if not more (unless something drastically changes, which isnt very likely.) Oh, and it supports Mesh and all that other shit if you ever plan to do more, but I just dont think its needed.
I agree on Netgear. I tend to really like their stuff, but a lot of the reviews for them lately don't seem too favorable. But, the router is roughly 10 years old. So, I'm not going to complain too much and I've always really enjoyed their UIs.

I don't think I'll ever do mesh or anything crazy, unless I lived in some kind of McMansion. My house is only 2100ish sq. feet and I just need it to hit an upstairs, back bedroom. All I really need is something that pumps out a bitching signal, really. A lot of info I'm reading makes me lean toward ASUS for sure. I appreciate the suggestion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There are relay devices you can get that take a patch from your router and then use your power lines to act as ghetto network cable so you can plug the paired unit elsewhere in the same building with a shared ground. They run 100-200 on Amazon and usually even have a jack at the destination end you can use as a hardline. You wont be getting GB speeds with it, but they work pretty decently and avoid the issues most older houses have with signal strength without having to run a bunch of CAT6 cables to other places for PoE WAPs. When Covid Mania hit, I recommended them to a lot of users in coastal cities because the older buildings have tons of internal interference. If your house is old and the rooms are spread out between thick walls, this usually can fix the issues.

Another possibility is if you have close neighbors on all sides with their own wifi systems generating signal interference. Best way to find that out is to get one of the numerous phone app wifi sniffing tools and see where your overlap zones with others are. If your router is sophisticated enough, you can even limit your wireless to only using set channels (works best if you can get your neighbors on board with it too) to prevent signal interference (I do this with my Unifi setup). If you live in thin walled apartments or all your neighbors houses are super packed in with yours, all on their own wifi then this is the most effective fix, albeit requiring some negotiation with the neighbors who may or may not be facing the same issue.

The third option is that your router is just plain long in the tooth or otherwise not up to the task. Luxul makes a decent, if pricey, product that can do PoE satellite WAPs (you would need to run some cable) and lets you manage settings in ways more sophisticated than most store bought routers (not not as good as a true managed enterprise network) if you want to go that route. If you understand the basic of managed networks and don't mind stringing and managing some CAT6, this is a good long term solution.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

for future ref, adding a second asus router for mesh is super easy, you just turn it on and put it next to your current router then on your asus app just wait until it shows up as mesh-able and click yes.

Daidraco

for future ref, adding a second asus router for mesh is super easy, you just turn it on and put it next to your current router then on your asus app just wait until it shows up as mesh-able and click yes.
Lord, if that thing ever needs a mesh - then Ive moved into a stadium. My house* is about 800 feet away from the dock/water*. lol

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There are relay devices you can get that take a patch from your router and then use your power lines to act as ghetto network cable so you can plug the paired unit elsewhere in the same building with a shared ground. They run 100-200 on Amazon and usually even have a jack at the destination end you can use as a hardline. You wont be getting GB speeds with it, but they work pretty decently and avoid the issues most older houses have with signal strength without having to run a bunch of CAT6 cables to other places for PoE WAPs. When Covid Mania hit, I recommended them to a lot of users in coastal cities because the older buildings have tons of internal interference. If your house is old and the rooms are spread out between thick walls, this usually can fix the issues.

Another possibility is if you have close neighbors on all sides with their own wifi systems generating signal interference. Best way to find that out is to get one of the numerous phone app wifi sniffing tools and see where your overlap zones with others are. If your router is sophisticated enough, you can even limit your wireless to only using set channels (works best if you can get your neighbors on board with it too) to prevent signal interference (I do this with my Unifi setup). If you live in thin walled apartments or all your neighbors houses are super packed in with yours, all on their own wifi then this is the most effective fix, albeit requiring some negotiation with the neighbors who may or may not be facing the same issue.

The third option is that your router is just plain long in the tooth or otherwise not up to the task. Luxul makes a decent, if pricey, product that can do PoE satellite WAPs (you would need to run some cable) and lets you manage settings in ways more sophisticated than most store bought routers (not not as good as a true managed enterprise network) if you want to go that route. If you understand the basic of managed networks and don't mind stringing and managing some CAT6, this is a good long term solution.
Have a link for the first device you mentioned?

Yeah, I've already done the wifi sniffer with networks in the area and have mine on a channel with relatively low traffic/interference. I'm not going the extra step of going door to door to setup some faggy Venril Sathir rotation with my neighbors though. I wouldn't want them bugging me about that Nerd Level 5000 shit, I'm certainly not going to bug them. I honestly just think the router is too ancient. My house was built in '08, so it isn't even that old. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of needing to "change with the times". And I'm definitely not doing anything that involves running cable to a back bedroom that is rarely used. I just need decent wifi in there for streaming purposes while working out.

I went ahead and snagged a Asus RT-AX86U. We'll see how it does in a week or so.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Have a link for the first device you mentioned?

Yeah, I've already done the wifi sniffer with networks in the area and have mine on a channel with relatively low traffic/interference. I'm not going the extra step of going door to door to setup some faggy Venril Sathir rotation with my neighbors though. I wouldn't want them bugging me about that Nerd Level 5000 shit, I'm certainly not going to bug them. I honestly just think the router is too ancient. My house was built in '08, so it isn't even that old. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of needing to "change with the times". And I'm definitely not doing anything that involves running cable to a back bedroom that is rarely used. I just need decent wifi in there for streaming purposes while working out.

I went ahead and snagged a Asus RT-AX86U. We'll see how it does in a week or so.
I saw that deal. Not only one upped me, but got a better one for cheaper. You whore.

• 1Truth!

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So do I send my Dream Router back or cut my speeds down to 500/500 and save 15 dollars a month? lol.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So I just upgraded to 1000/50 service from my ISP because we're running 2 home offices now. I've been using a Netgear Orbi (RBR50) for a few years now and have been generally satisfied until I found a huge WTF today testing the new connection.

If I wire my PC to my modem I get 970/45 speed tests, which is close enough for the moment. If I plug in the Orbi, I get 850/40 to the modem according to the admin UI. However, if I plug my PC in to the Orbi, using the same cable that got 970 from the modem, I get 30-80 Mbps max. Wifi is a little better but still only 100-150. WTF? I used to be able to get the rated bandwidth from my ISP through the Orbi using the same devices and cables. There's no bandwidth limiting, QoS, or anything like that running that I can detect. Just dogshit performance.

Any ideas? Googling indicates that this is not a unique problem. Did this thing just die on me and I need a new router?

Last edited:

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
+1 for Alien router, replaced my 3 ASUS mesh network with a single Alien and I’m getting better speeds everywhere. Incredibly simple to setup, impossible to fuckup

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
+1 for Alien router, replaced my 3 ASUS mesh network with a single Alien and I’m getting better speeds everywhere. Incredibly simple to setup, impossible to fuckup
Alien router?

As for me, I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 with DD-WRT Firmware. Thus far, it's running pretty well.

Last edited:

Mick

<Gold Donor>
If you can find one in stock I would recommend a Dream Router.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Agreed.

I was even having some issues with my desktop switching to 2Ghz band when I didn't want it to, so I just added another 5Ghz antenna via the app and now I'm always 5Ghz on my desktop.

It's super easy to do speedtests, manage devices, and customize pretty much any aspect of the router from the app.

• 1Truth!

Kiki

Log Wizard
I'm an oldschool router guy so I actually didn't like that I couldn't configure it myself, you are forced into the app, but once you set it it's good to go.

Ubiquiti now owns it as well so that's also a plus and it's actually instock.

loudgas

new isp...a recent upgrade to my switch (Zyxel XGS1010)...and a recent download from steam...
1671252727863.png

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Alright, got a network problem/question:

I recently upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. My internet plan is 400mbps down. Okay, if I plug a computer directly into the modem, I do in fact get those speeds. But, once I plug the modem into the router, and a computer directly into the router (i.e. wired). My download speeds cap at ~240. My router is a TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (flashed with OpenWRT). The manual states the LAN ports are 10/100/1000 capable. Any clue what is causing this bottleneck?