Routers & Other Networking Stuff

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Alright, got a network problem/question:

I recently upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. My internet plan is 400mbps down. Okay, if I plug a computer directly into the modem, I do in fact get those speeds. But, once I plug the modem into the router, and a computer directly into the router (i.e. wired). My download speeds cap at ~240. My router is a TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (flashed with OpenWRT). The manual states the LAN ports are 10/100/1000 capable. Any clue what is causing this bottleneck?

Are all the cables at least CAT5e or 6? Have you tried both cables with computer directly jacked into the modem to try to isolate a bad cable even if both are 5e/6?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Are all the cables at least CAT5e or 6? Have you tried both cables with computer directly jacked into the modem to try to isolate a bad cable even if both are 5e/6?
Yes, the cable I used to plug directly into the modem (which achieved 400mbps) is the same cable that I used to plug directly into the router. So clearly the router is the issue somehow. However, I have two desktop computers in another room which are connected to a switch, which in turn is connected to the router via a cable run from the other room. I can copy files between the two computers, and I get ~75MB/s (that's megabytes per sec) transfer rates. So, the cabling appears to be solid there.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Yes, the cable I used to plug directly into the modem (which achieved 400mbps) is the same cable that I used to plug directly into the router. So clearly the router is the issue somehow. However, I have two desktop computers in another room which are connected to a switch, which in turn is connected to the router via a cable run from the other room. I can copy files between the two computers, and I get ~75MB/s (that's megabytes per sec) transfer rates. So, the cabling appears to be solid there.

Sounds more like software, then. I assume you’ve made sure only one device is connected to the router at once so that it’s not splitting the download speed?

This thread states that OpenWRT does not support hardware offload for the C7 (at least it didn’t In 2021), so it appears to have a theoretical maximum of around 700 Mbps unless the router is overclocked. But you seem to be getting significantly lower than that. Would it be possible to either reflash OWRT or try the stock firmware? (I’d only do that as a late or last resort).

I‘ve never used OpenWRT itself, so maybe someone else can chime in if there’s some setting that could be limiting throughput.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like you have QoS enabled and its limiting devices to a max of 240 over the WAN, or something like that

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Sounds like you have QoS enabled and its limiting devices to a max of 240 over the WAN, or something like that
I don't think I do. I couldn't find this option in setup anywhere. I am reading that the CPU in the router could be a limiting factor. This router is actually pretty old, circa 2016 I believe. I bought it used as to experiment with OpenWRT. Maybe I simply need a more performant router.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Wan port is probably 100mbps
That would be my guess. You can check to see if speed negotiation is hard set to 100m full or something, but if the hardware is only capable of 10/100 then you'll want to replace the router.

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
ISP recently built fiber into our neighborhood and we have their 3Gbps service. The hand off from the ONT is 10Gbps RJ45, when I plug directly into my computers 10Gbps port I get great speeds. I have had trouble finding reliable specs for pfsense or openwrt above 1Gbps. I need a router that can handle the bandwidth and I am willing to build or buy used equipment.

Low power, quiet and shelf mounted are preferred.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ISP recently built fiber into our neighborhood and we have their 3Gbps service. The hand off from the ONT is 10Gbps RJ45, when I plug directly into my computers 10Gbps port I get great speeds. I have had trouble finding reliable specs for pfsense or openwrt above 1Gbps. I need a router that can handle the bandwidth and I am willing to build or buy used equipment.

Low power, quiet and shelf mounted are preferred.
I have never looked into the pfsense or openwrt of anything, I just know throwing money at the Asus routers works out for me each time I upgrade. However, I would rather drag my balls through glass shards than buy a used wireless router.

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
I have never looked into the pfsense or openwrt of anything, I just know throwing money at the Asus routers works out for me each time I upgrade. However, I would rather drag my balls through glass shards than buy a used wireless router.
I do not disagree, I have always had good luck with Asus home routers. Amazon has a Asus 16000 that can be here tomorrow. Easy return if it does not perform.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I'd be shocked if a std asus router will do more than 1g wan side. I'm thinking you'd need something fairly spendy to get more than that. Especially if you try to do anything beyond straight routing.
*looked it up.
Well for ~$600 you get 2 10g ports and a 2.5wan. That's probably not an awful deal. But most 10g gear is SFP and not ethernet, so YMMV.

• 1Bullshit

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
I'd be shocked if a std asus router will do more than 1g wan side. I'm thinking you'd need something fairly spendy to get more than that. Especially if you try to do anything beyond straight routing.
*looked it up.
Well for ~$600 you get 2 10g ports and a 2.5wan. That's probably not an awful deal. But most 10g gear is SFP and not ethernet, so YMMV.
I will do some testing and report back. I may end up with a UDM-Pro SE, I have UniFi AP's and Switches already and its basically the same price point as the Asus. In the mean time I can do some testing on the Asus router once it arrives.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I will do some testing and report back. I may end up with a UDM-Pro SE, I have UniFi AP's and Switches already and its basically the same price point as the Asus. In the mean time I can do some testing on the Asus router once it arrives.
You can upgrade a cheap mini pc into a 2-3 port 2.5g router. The minisforum um590 and um560 have 2x nvme and 1 2.5" ssd support. The device also has a 2.5g and 1g ethernet ports built in. Basically you remove the wifi card and nvme ssd and use those for your additional 2.5gb ports. You use the 2.5" ssd for your OS. You will have to hack the case or you will have wires sticking out for the ethernet ports, but you will have more than enough ram and cpu for your new frankenrouter.

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
Speed tests from the router (Asus GT-AXE16000) are just fine. I have had speed tests where the Down/Up have exceeded 3000Mbps. The router comes with a 2.5Gbps and optional 10Gbps WAN port. The issue is the dedicated 10Gbps LAN port, which does not provide adequate throughput. Further investigation finds similar complaints on the Asus ROG forums. When I test from the 10Gbps WAN port I get less than 1100Mbps Up/Down, when I plug directly into the ONT, I get very similar tests to those run directly within the routers interface. Sadly the router is almost good enough, but will be going back to Amazon. I ordered a UDM-Pro SE with appropriate SFP's this morning, which should be here later this week.

I have looked at the mini pc's but the ONT only has 1 and 10Gbps hand off...2.5Gbps will not cut it for their 3 and 5Gbps service.
1683590533727.png

• 1Like

Daidraco

Speed tests from the router (Asus GT-AXE16000) are just fine. I have had speed tests where the Down/Up have exceeded 3000Mbps. The router comes with a 2.5Gbps and optional 10Gbps WAN port. The issue is the dedicated 10Gbps LAN port, which does not provide adequate throughput. Further investigation finds similar complaints on the Asus ROG forums. When I test from the 10Gbps WAN port I get less than 1100Mbps Up/Down, when I plug directly into the ONT, I get very similar tests to those run directly within the routers interface. Sadly the router is almost good enough, but will be going back to Amazon. I ordered a UDM-Pro SE with appropriate SFP's this morning, which should be here later this week.

I have looked at the mini pc's but the ONT only has 1 and 10Gbps hand off...2.5Gbps will not cut it for their 3 and 5Gbps service.
View attachment 472701
Im just curious what you're doing to need/want that? If its not too personal. (I mean, I want it - I just dont see a lot of value (vs the cost) in speeds that high.)

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
Im just curious what you're doing to need/want that? If its not too personal. (I mean, I want it - I just dont see a lot of value (vs the cost) in speeds that high.)
From a dollars standpoint the new 3Gbps fiber from WOW ($100/month with autopay) is slightly cheaper than the 500x20Mbps cable from Spectrum $102.43/month. WOW does offer 1Gbps for $50 which is fast enough for most home use. We have a big family lots of data usage each month and my wife and I work from home which is all cloud based...again do not need 3Gbps, but I wanted it! I would really like their 5Gbps service...but not paying $180/month.

I will say the ability to save files to my companies cloud has significantly improved to the point where it almost feels as though I am using a local server.

• 1Like

Daidraco

From a dollars standpoint the new 3Gbps fiber from WOW ($100/month with autopay) is slightly cheaper than the 500x20Mbps cable from Spectrum $102.43/month. WOW does offer 1Gbps for $50 which is fast enough for most home use. We have a big family lots of data usage each month and my wife and I work from home which is all cloud based...again do not need 3Gbps, but I wanted it! I would really like their 5Gbps service...but not paying $180/month.

I will say the ability to save files to my companies cloud has significantly improved to the point where it almost feels as though I am using a local server.
Ok, ya at that price point I get it. Comparable around here is ass raping price. So Im just jealous at this point. lol

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

He paid for the whole tube and he'll be damned if he doesn't use the whole tube.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
One of the downsides of living in the middle of nowhere is slow internet. I have 50/10 Mbps for $64 month and that is the FAST service. It's also line of site wireless microwave. Before that it was a little better than dialup. Our local cable company was hot garbage. I could do the spaceX deal but the costs / speed don't seem to make sense.

• 1Like