Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Kiki

Log Wizard
Copper or fiber?
I'd like to upgrade my home network to 10Gb preferrably. Are there any decent cheap unmanaged 8 port 10Gb switches available yet? And what are people using for NICs? I need at least 3 NICs for server and main PC/plex server.

Copper only:

SFP+ but managed:

They also make NICs as does ASUS and some other brands. I use both fiber and copper, I prefer fiber but I really don't complain about the copper either. SFPs are kinda annoying finding compatible shit or reprogramming them to the right brand so if this is just a basic setup I would skip it and do the first one. If you want SFPs you can get copper SFPs instead of fiber if wiring is an issue.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wierd ass shit happened this weekend, on friday, my speeds were horrible, idk why

somehow i figured out, it must be fucking intel, and i was right, i tured on wifi6 on my computer, it's fine, use lan, it sucks

turns out my driver got updated... or something, even tho i turn updates off and the shitty intel 225v was on 100/100, i roll back and it's back to 1000/1000. (yes it SHOULD be 2.5g but this built in nic is so shit, i'm fine w/ 1g, i might upgrade to 2.5 next year)

anyway, saturday rolls around and i have shit speeds on the entire network... ok. i am using verizon 5g ultrawide (basically 5g for home, theres an antenna right in my backyard, idk how it's even legal), and theres a fucking tornado going on, so i'll let that pass.

tornado is over and speeds are still shit, so i decide to build a new network longer cable from modem to aeero and i can find a better spot to put my modem in.

swapping out the cable, my speeds are fine, while the old cable passes the network tester... so i have fucking goblins in my house.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
wierd ass shit happened this weekend, on friday, my speeds were horrible, idk why

somehow i figured out, it must be fucking intel, and i was right, i tured on wifi6 on my computer, it's fine, use lan, it sucks

turns out my driver got updated... or something, even tho i turn updates off and the shitty intel 225v was on 100/100, i roll back and it's back to 1000/1000. (yes it SHOULD be 2.5g but this built in nic is so shit, i'm fine w/ 1g, i might upgrade to 2.5 next year)

anyway, saturday rolls around and i have shit speeds on the entire network... ok. i am using verizon 5g ultrawide (basically 5g for home, theres an antenna right in my backyard, idk how it's even legal), and theres a fucking tornado going on, so i'll let that pass.

tornado is over and speeds are still shit, so i decide to build a new network longer cable from modem to aeero and i can find a better spot to put my modem in.

swapping out the cable, my speeds are fine, while the old cable passes the network tester... so i have fucking goblins in my house.
Like communications tower with antenna in it that’s owned by Verizon or whomever?

My parents have one on their property that was installed a few years ago. The company rents the land/access and pay a cut of any additional antenna installed by other companies. They get around $4k per month from that thing.

Might want to look into it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Like communications tower with antenna in it that’s owned by Verizon or whomever?

My parents have one on their property that was installed a few years ago. The company rents the land/access and pay a cut of any additional antenna installed by other companies. They get around $4k per month from that thing.

Might want to look into it.
naw like they just mounted it on the fucking tallest tree in the backyard (the part that is technically hoa property), i went to find the 5g signal and it pointed me there and i look up and i saw a metalic box at the top, i don't have binos so i never bothered to check past that.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I have peeps coming over for Christmas. I have a couple dead spots in my house, and the kids will no doubt be gaming. I want to setup a mesh system and I currently have an ASUS RT-AC5300. I snagged the Asus ZenWiFi mesh setup with three satellites. Do I even need the AC 5300? This is what my PC is connected to via ethernet. Keep it or use use the ZenWiFi only?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I have peeps coming over for Christmas. I have a couple dead spots in my house, and the kids will no doubt be gaming. I want to setup a mesh system and I currently have an ASUS RT-AC5300. I snagged the Asus ZenWiFi mesh setup with three satellites. Do I even need the AC 5300? This is what my PC is connected to via ethernet. Keep it or use use the ZenWiFi only?

IMO if you have a 6E mesh setup with dedicated 6ghz backhaul (or wired) I'd just drop the other AP entirely.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

one upgrade route could have been still using the asus ac5300, and buy any basic wifi 6 asus router
25767d8b0d010fc313880a941af03343.png

and just use the app and add the new router as an ai mesh (takes just 30seconds)

if you find out that using the zenfi router is limiting, then you might want to go back to the ac5300 and build an aimesh network

otherwise, yea just use the 3 zenfi routers, theres no need to keep the ac5300 around unless you wanna just use it as a switch

(there might be speed concerns if you setup a "guest network", since that will use up an antenna? i think, best to use em and wire them up)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

weird shit happened again and i couldn't take it no more, installed a cheap ass 2.5gbe controller
60c5378ccf7ff09035badf7d87790dc1.png

instantly recognized at 1gb, i then plugged it into that ghetto looking 2.5gbe switch and another into my htpc and i have a mini 2.5g w/ just the 2

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Wtf, ubiquiti now has a U7 pro ap… I feel like I just bought my U6 pro yesterday (I think sometime last year)..

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just ordered the Ubiquiti Dream Router as I've just been using the ATT gateway for years because I didn't really care. I considered getting like an EdgeRouter6 but in my house the ATT gateway always had plenty of range for the whole house WIFI needs, so I don't want to dick around with access points if I can just get it all in one dumbass little white egg package.

But now I want to do some self hosting shit and fuck around with my Pi more. Get Pihole running on the whole house, get another pi for some other stuff and just have an ultra tiny homelab system going on.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just mounted 2 u7 pros in my house this weekend. Absolute overkill for the size of my house, but I'm not running any more cable besides the run to my office. It was the last piece of non-ubiquiti networking equipment at home.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I just ordered the Ubiquiti Dream Router as I've just been using the ATT gateway for years because I didn't really care. I considered getting like an EdgeRouter6 but in my house the ATT gateway always had plenty of range for the whole house WIFI needs, so I don't want to dick around with access points if I can just get it all in one dumbass little white egg package.

But now I want to do some self hosting shit and fuck around with my Pi more. Get Pihole running on the whole house, get another pi for some other stuff and just have an ultra tiny homelab system going on.
You made an EXCELLENT choice. You won’t be disappointed. I have the dream machine among other UniFi products and love it. Ubiquiti is pretty amazing, ain’t that right Blazin Blazin

• 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I just mounted 2 u7 pros in my house this weekend. Absolute overkill for the size of my house, but I'm not running any more cable besides the run to my office. It was the last piece of non-ubiquiti networking equipment at home.
Great choice. Don’t view it as overkill , just future proofing

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You made an EXCELLENT choice. You won’t be disappointed. I have the dream machine among other UniFi products and love it. Ubiquiti is pretty amazing, ain’t that right Blazin Blazin
So what is this gay shit? I got it and it just fails to connect to their stupid ass app. Even after factory reset.

God damn I hate networking bullshit. App recognizes the device is there, but just fails to connect.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So what is this gay shit? I got it and it just fails to connect to their stupid ass app. Even after factory reset.

God damn I hate networking bullshit. App recognizes the device is there, but just fails to connect.
Uhh that’s out of the norm. I assume you’re using the UniFi app… Are you on apple or android? I have the UDM pro, switch pro 24, 2x mesh pro, 1x u6 mesh, 1x regular mesh, flex switch , a u6 pro and nano pro. Only issue I’m having right now is their software complaining once a morning about lag, I think due to the IP I used to have it ping.

Can you try a different device? iPad or even via the UniFi console on a laptop?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Uhh that’s out of the norm. I assume you’re using the UniFi app… Are you on apple or android? I have the UDM pro, switch pro 24, 2x mesh pro, 1x u6 mesh, 1x regular mesh, flex switch , a u6 pro and nano pro. Only issue I’m having right now is their software complaining once a morning about lag, I think due to the IP I used to have it ping.

Can't even open the web console with the IP it shows on the front of it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Mac Address the app identifies differs from the Mac address my network identifies by one letter. Unable to access the router via the IP the network has for it nor the basic 192.168.1.1 as you would think.

Complete piece of shit.