RPG Maker VX Ace

xzi

Mouthbreather
Ahh, who hasn't messed about in any RPG Maker in the past? They're always fun to me. VX Ace seems like a really big WYSIWYG program, hardly any coding involved aside from a few scripts here and there. Definitely fun, that's for sure. I think I'm gonna pick up the full version for Christmas. Of course you can create all your own assets if you so wish, which I plan to do!

It's on steam now for 70$ but you can try out a free version right on the page itself that has still quite a bit of features.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224280/

Im looking for some tools that would let me do a game that has multiple worlds.

For example, a "shadow nexus world" that connects classic overworld maps like final fantasy 1 overworld maps together.

Does anyone know if theres something out there that allows me to do that without too much programming?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
why doesn't someone make an FoH, err, rerolled RPG with one of these things? i'm sure theres more than enough nerd know how here to get it done.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Im looking for some tools that would let me do a game that has multiple worlds.

For example, a "shadow nexus world" that connects classic overworld maps like final fantasy 1 overworld maps together.

Does anyone know if theres something out there that allows me to do that without too much programming?
What? Just having multiple worlds? That's kind of essentially like just having multiple maps if I understand your question correctly. Can easily be done in a lot of engine builders more than likely.

What? Just having multiple worlds? That's kind of essentially like just having multiple maps if I understand your question correctly. Can easily be done in a lot of engine builders more than likely.
Yeah multiple overhead maps.

Say like you have the world map from Final Fantasy 1 (Sorry im old) but on top of that, multiple maps like that linked together.

What not too complicated world/rpg builders can you suggest?

I just discovered all this, the word open source game design just popped in my head and i thought its certain people are doing it, sure enough people are.

xrg

Golden Squire
Any of the RPG Makers will do that. They're just tile maps, then you setup teleports between them. The maps can be overworld, towns, caves, interior buildings, etc.

Could you do something that mixes genre with this thing? Say you have a forest next to town. Your character has logging skills. He goes and logs (gets wood in inventory, forest gets cut down and regrows after a while), comes back to town and uses the workbench for crafting an item.

Something that would do stuff like a RTS. You queue up some swords at the blacksmith while you are away fighting outside town. Blacksmith being a building you own, that you can upgrade maybe.

Really want to get into this, looks like tons of fun, just want to get the right program for what i have in mind.

Checked out some reviews, bought it on impulse heh

Seems so small! (200 something megs)

really wanted to try to make a fun scifi RPG forever, gonna be fun to mess around with this

xzi

Mouthbreather
I bought it yesterday and have been having a blast. To get a good start going, I suggest checking out these tutorials

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/t...g-maker-vx-ace

As for the question of like.. queuing up gathering lumber and whatnot, I'm actually interested in this myself. This engine can take some heavy scripting and there are a TON of scripts online. Somebody may have just what you're looking for. ...of course you would have to either make or find a full animation set for chopping down trees and whatnot
tongue.png

I plan on having gathering in my game, not much.. just some. So if I come across some good ones when I get to that point, I will definitely post here.

You can find a lot of scripts on most rpg maker vx sites, here's two major forums for them.

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showforum=26
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index....ipts-rmvx-ace/

tongue.png

tongue.png

xrg

Golden Squire
You could do the log collecting thing just with events. It's simple enough you could just increase/decrease a variable, or use items. If you go for a full blown crafting system, you'll have to bust out some scripting for that most likely.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I plan on having some crafting with mine, guess I left that out! woops.
It's been fun learning thus far.

Having a hard time finding resources for space stuff. Like i had this idea that the overworld map would be the galaxy, with spaceship encounters. Then warp in to solar systems, still with spaceship encounters again, and then land on planets where the meat of player combat/adventuring/xping happens. Kinda like starflight meets phantasy star 2

Youd start on first planet and then get access to ship that lets you explore the galaxy

Gonna have to learn to rip sprites, gonna suck starflight dry

May be overly complicated for a first game but well see

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, haven't found much spacelike stuff myself, luckily I'm not going for that. :p

That sound like a really great idea though, reminds me of like a mass-effect dealio
redface.png

I know there's quite a lot of.. "eh" on deviantart, but you can search rpg maker vx ace ondeviantart.comand there and quite a lot of okay ones come up. You'll have to look through probably quite a bit of pages to get space ones but they're there somewhere! Of course they'd like credit, but I'm sure you can find some decent stuff on there.

I've been practicing my pixelart a bit here and there and after Christmas I'm really gonna hunker down and try to get better.

redface.png

redface.png

xzi

Mouthbreather
Looking around for some scripts today because I wanted to make my game be able to fullscreen or get at least a higher resolution/bigger window out of it.. turns out it's impossible to do that, and the scripts that are currently out are deemed "illegal" by the company. :/

544 x 416 is default unfortunately.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Been screwing around with this for a couple days now. It is amazing how user friendly it is. If you have the time/patience to build a world you can make a pretty solid RPG with no skills whatsoever. The time commitment seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. I spent hours just designing a town exterior. Didn't even get to the insides of the buildings yet, or the characters/lore that would need to go on top of that heh.

Really fun and easy, but I'm not sure I have the patience for the months of work it would take to build anything worth playing. If you like that kind of busy work though this program is excellent.

xrg

Golden Squire
Eventing is usually the biggest time killer. Setting up NPC dialogue, cutscenes, dungeon puzzles, and things like that. It's not very difficult most of the time, but requires playtesting and things. It's where I always burned out.

Yeah, I think everyone who makes a game (especially by themselves) comes to the hard realization very quickly that "holy fuck this is going to take a really long time". If a complete game is your only goal, I think learning the toolset will keep you occupied for a while, but you will eventually burn out unless you have amazing self-discipline. I had to readjust my mentality and convince myself to enjoy all the little parts. Now I look at all the busy work like I do restringing and tuning my guitar or shining my shoes, taking pride in the little nuances of it. It's sort of like Bob Ross rolling with his happy little accidents. Instead of being frustrating it became relaxing.

Yeah, I think everyone who makes a game (especially by themselves) comes to the hard realization very quickly that "holy fuck this is going to take a really long time". If a complete game is your only goal, I think learning the toolset will keep you occupied for a while, but you will eventually burn out unless you have amazing self-discipline. I had to readjust my mentality and convince myself to enjoy all the little parts. Now I look at all the busy work like I do restringing and tuning my guitar or shining my shoes, taking pride in the little nuances of it. It's sort of like Bob Ross rolling with his happy little accidents. Instead of being frustrating it became relaxing.
Yeah, its simple enough but requires some time put in.

Had some fun getting to use whatever sprite i wanted to put in combat, also to delimit regions and have specific monsters around a lake i made. Was one of those enjoy little things u were talkin about.

What killed it a bit for me is forum doesnt seem to be super active so if im tired at 2am and cant be arsed to look through a large amount of tutorial content, not alot of chance ill get a quick answer to my question so i have to stop my progress or try to work on something else.

Like i couldnt get an answer in 2 days about whats the pixel by pixel size of combat backgrounds I should be using or how to get combat backgrounds to show ingame like they do in battle test.