RPG Maker VX Ace

Chronometer_sl

shitlord
I've had this for quite some time now, and its pretty fun, especially if you start doing custom stuff, I highly recommend the High Fantasy or Horror packs from the store as add-ons if the Japanese style doesn't ticke you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am thinking of getting this. Anyone here have anything made? I had a fairly long RPG (10 hours lol) made in a way earlier version, but it's long gone.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I have managed a tiny island with a linear dungeon and a chest and some monsters... but I can't figure out how to get monsters to despawn after being defeated. Also started on some custom stats.

I've been distracted by Shadowrunning to do much more yet.

Grimsark

I have managed a tiny island with a linear dungeon and a chest and some monsters... but I can't figure out how to get monsters to despawn after being defeated. Also started on some custom stats.

I've been distracted by Shadowrunning to do much more yet.
Use the events self switch to transition to a blank page. Effectively despawns them.

If you want them to come back when you leave the area and come back, use the Erase Event instead.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
There is also Desura which is like the poorman's Steam. I think they have no real restrictions beyond having a relatively working game. However, apparently they were just bought out by Linden Labs (Second Life guys) so who knows what/if will happen with Desura.
That's actually a great thing, Linden is really good on content creators, despite the general silliness of virtual pixels and all that. Theres a shitload of money in it, and it's not surprising to me that LL wants to be into it.

This is $23.79 on Steam atm btw, 66% off.

Vinen

God is dead
That's actually a great thing, Linden is really good on content creators, despite the general silliness of virtual pixels and all that. Theres a shitload of money in it, and it's not surprising to me that LL wants to be into it.

This is $23.79 on Steam atm btw, 66% off.
All of the 3rd party DLC is on sale as well.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Looks fun to tinker with, picked up some of the DLC too. At the very least thought it'd be fun to try and recreate my group of friends, some common hangouts, our high school, some of our house layouts and piece some quests together. Expand upon the hysteria of our game nights playing Battlestar Galactica and create a story about trying to figure out who the cylons are.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One of the earlier iterations of RPG maker I did that for a forum I was on (guitar.com). It sounded so funny thinking about it, actual execution was awful.

Grimsark

For those that get into adding scripts to the engine, these are a hand full of the scriptwriters I frequent the most.

Note: These authors provide their work as FREE TO USE IN ALL PROJECTS.Including commercial. There are a ton more out there that will sell you their scripts for commercial use, and some that will let you use them only in non-commercial projects...
Its important to always check an authors Terms Of Use.
Tsukihime-http://himeworks.wordpress.com/(No longer 100% free to use. Changed is TOS in October'13)
My favorate's of his:Troop Placeholders,Encounter Conditions,Encounter Alert...

Yanfly-http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/
My favorate's of his: (I use nearly 90% of his scripts FYI)Victory Aftermath,Buff & State Manager,Learn Skill Engine,Ace Save Engine,Ace Message System...

*** A few scripters that I use very little of their stuff, but wanted to mention them. ***

Kread-EX-http://grimoirecastle.wordpress.com/rgss3-scripts/
(Scripts Used)Cannibalism,Conditioned Traits,Skill Upgrade...

Atelier RGSS-http://www.atelier-rgss.com/RGSS/RGSS_VX_ACE.html(Some of the most polished systems you can find)

Fomar0153-http://cobbtocs.co.uk/wp/?page_id=76

Nicke (XS)-http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45651.0.html

*** A master list, kept up by the community ***
(Must check individual TOS statements)

RMVXA Script Listing...

***NON-COMMERCIAL USE MENTION***
Khas Arcthunder -BEST DAMNED LIGHT EFFECTS YOU CAN FIND.
(Many devs don't use this script due to the performance hit. But I have not found a better one.)

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
RPG maker has tempted me for years. I've always dreamed of making my own 16bit RPG. I'm currently studying to be a coder so I imagine that learning curve would be minimal. I also have a decent length DnD campaign that I wrote a while back that I would love to convert. My only quam is finding other team members. I really don't care for the notion of pulling from a pool of public resources to make something. Finding someone to do pixel art, someone to do music, and someone to bug-test would be rough. If I really could make a good RPG all by myself this would be a no-brainer.

Grimsark

RPG maker has tempted me for years. I've always dreamed of making my own 16bit RPG. I'm currently studying to be a coder so I imagine that learning curve would be minimal. I also have a decent length DnD campaign that I wrote a while back that I would love to convert. My only quam is finding other team members. I really don't care for the notion of pulling from a pool of public resources to make something. Finding someone to do pixel art, someone to do music, and someone to bug-test would be rough. If I really could make a good RPG all by myself this would be a no-brainer.
I am making one atm, alone.

I am learning what I can as I go... Ruby had my head in knots for a few months, as I am a static/strong typed (self-taught) coder, but I can manage to write simple scripts now even with the bizarre syntax. But mostly I have re-purposed community materials from authors that don't mind commercial use.

I intend to release the first chapter or two for free and see what the reception is like. If people think its worth paying for later chapters with extended features and story, then I might make it a regular thing.

As for assets, I have done several re-colors with Photoshop on some environmental pixel art. Turned out rather well considering.

But actor art is another story... If I end up actually making money with it, I will pay someone to make a series of applicable actor art, and some more variants of stock art...

Some of my recolors:
rrr_img_46507.png
rrr_img_46508.png
rrr_img_46509.png

One of my early towns:
rrr_img_46516.jpg

I'd say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, besides a sense of self importance.
wink.png

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am making one atm, alone.

I am learning what I can as I go... Ruby had my head in knots for a few months, as I am a static/strong typed (self-taught) coder, but I can manage to write simple scripts now even with the bizarre syntax. But mostly I have re-purposed community materials from authors that don't mind commercial use.

I intend to release the first chapter or two for free and see what the reception is like. If people think its worth paying for later chapters with extended features and story, then I might make it a regular thing.

As for assets, I have done several re-colors with Photoshop on some environmental pixel art. Turned out rather well considering.

But actor art is another story... If I end up actually making money with it, I will pay someone to make a series of applicable actor art, and some more variants of stock art...

Some of my recolors:
rrr_img_46507.png
rrr_img_46508.png
rrr_img_46509.png

One of my early towns:
rrr_img_46516.jpg

I'd say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, besides a sense of self importance.
wink.png
It seems like modding stock sprites is relatively easy. Bit art is at least so point by point that it's really easy to alter.

Grimsark

It seems like modding stock sprites is relatively easy. Bit art is at least so point by point that it's really easy to alter.
Believe me I thought so too, until I tried it. I soon realized that its an acquired finesse that takes some practice. At least for me, and I would consider myself a relatively artistic type.
Often times what I think looks reasonable in Photoshop, looks shit in game, and visa-verse. It also has a lot to do with the resolution and brightness your game plays in. With RMVXA its super small. Almost painfully small.

Either way, it is what you make it. The hardest thing I think I have had to learn is to remain consistent.

Working on something like an RPG for weeks and months can often result in your work changing unnoticeably, until you find yourself using completely different descriptors for stuff, mixing up item names, creating states that overlap with other states and whatnot.

Organization only gets so far. It really takes an anal-retentiveness that even I have trouble maintaining sometimes.
smile.png

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Either way, it is what you make it. The hardest thing I think I have had to learn is to remain consistent.

Working on something like an RPG for weeks and months can often result in your work changing unnoticeably, until you find yourself using completely different descriptors for stuff, mixing up item names, creating states that overlap with other states and whatnot.

Organization only gets so far. It really takes an anal-retentiveness that even I have trouble maintaining sometimes.
smile.png
Yeah, I was actually thinking of writing out a flow chart before I get going. I can't imagine just working on the project and remembering every little thing as I go along.

Welp, I guess it's time to brush up on Ruby.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
I have been tinkering around lately and thisguidehas been really helpful for introductory stuff. I am trying to build my game using the default tools and graphics as much as possible for now because learning how to make my own has proven too much of a distraction to my story-boarding. I already have so much story to tell and have been dumping potential script into an event with the appropriate character's graphic so that I don't loose it while I spend the time it takes building the scripted story events that drive the story, I have also chosen an neutral character whose only purpose is act like a checklist (or checklists because he is standing all over the place) so I don't forget what I am doing or why I did something.

I have found that as I build the world, the world often lends a hand. The small town that is the center of activity has a handful of characters and I am finding that as I flesh out their personalities I begin to change their residences to better reflect them and sometimes their fundamental personalities change and need to be rewritten so as not to act out of character when I need them to forward the story with an act that is beyond their original bounds. My ultimate goal is to finish a first chapter in a much larger story and to that effect I have chose a large default over-world but am confining my activities to one small portion of one continent and the small town that becomes an emerging nation and later a dominant oppressive empire over the course of the story, but in later chapters. In the course of learning how to script events (using the pre-built tools, no Ruby) I have figured out some neat things that I can add to the after-story portion of my game (because there is a sense of urgency throughout the first chapter I can't find a good reason to allow the characters to play with the time wasters I am building while the main story is in effect. This is something that really bothers me about side-quests, that they often occur when you really should be doing other things. I am working on ways to integrate them into the story without breaking pace.).

As I build the world I am find myself connecting to the creators of Final Fantasy IV in a way. I have figured out that the Dancers in the inns throughout that game were probably scripting exercises they developed while figuring out how to make the characters "act" instead of just delivering dialogue while standing still, one of the most endearing qualities of that game was all of the movement in the scripted scenes from the simplicity of Porom bopping Palom on the head for saying something stupid or the more intricate scenes of Cid and Edge fixing and fighting and fixing and arguing and fixing the Falcon.

While I don't relish the idea for spending innumerable hours dedicated to something that in the end will likely not make me a single cent I must say it's been a fun and interesting experience and when I have finished this first chapter I can at least finally say I made a game, and hopefully I will be able to say it with some amount of pride but that depends on the effort I put into it.

"why doesn't someone make an FoH, err, rerolled RPG with one of these things? i'm sure theres more than enough nerd know how here to get it done."

Oh god, what would that look like? I imagine the entire game would be choosing from a selection of 3 spoiler tags, one concealing a dick, one concealing a tranny dick and one concealing an adorable kitten. I would imagine that scoring would be based on the number of "wins" one achieves by selecting the kitten spoiler but I might be assuming too much about what the good people on this site consider "winning", you sick weird bastards.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Back when I worked on modules for NWN (I think my stupid trilogy is still up on their site?), I kept design documents for everything, including reams of charts showing game flow and how areas were connected, as well as a master list of various global variables and terminology. Doing that was a pain in the ass at first, but by the third module I was glad I had all of that to refer to. Things were consistent, straightforward, and very optimized as a result. My wife might kill me if I spent another three months on something like this, but I am sorely tempted to dive into this.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Picked up RPG Maker VX Ace pretty cheap months ago. I'm looking forward to using it to make a non-RPG. I figure the interface could work well enough for a mystery/adventure that wouldn't include a battle system at all. Of course, I still have to learn the ins & outs of the software, but I figure a project that involves storyboarding, creating events and designing my own graphics would be a decent intro to game creation. Making the graphics will likely be the biggest challenge, but I simply can't bear the idea of my game having the same generic graphics as thousand of other people's. That, and I want the game to take place modern day.

Has anybody made anything they're proud of? Any particular hurdles or challenges that were difficult to overcome?