RUSH - Ron Howard's 1970s F1 Movie

Column_sl

shitlord
I give it about a B.

I felt like the problems with the film were that the 2 main characters were so unlikable that you really need stronger dialogue for them, and a better paced underlying story.

The movie was just over too quick, and Howard barely allows the audience to even feel the rivalry between them. I feel like a Director of his caliber should have done a better job overall.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
But these are not written characters but real racers. Dunno about the dialog in the racing world its less smacktalk and more see whos right on the track.
The scene about the reporter dude getting his (deserved) beating shows these guys were less talk more do it and think about it later types.

Also Lauda reportedly stated their rivalry was on the track only and they actually got along well outside the racing scene, and that part was made up to better carry the rivalry through the 2 hour movie.

Column_sl

shitlord
But these are not written characters but real racers. Dunno about the dialog in the racing world its less smacktalk and more see whos right on the track.
I read the above statement, and think do people really believe that? Are they so uneducated about production that they actually think they are watching a word for word re enactment of real life events?

It's a movie, and at the end of the day it still abides to all laws of good storytelling.
A movie about two men that competed in one of the most dangerous sports on earth, and yet the movie was very dull most of the time. That alone is a failure in communication.

There are many examples of well put together movies based off true events. The excuse of it's based on reality, so they have to make it as real as possible while shunning storytelling completely doesn't fly in my book.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I finally got around to seeing it this week, what a fantastic film.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i learned since that 1976 accident he's always wearing a paid sponsor cap to hide the scars, to this day, that spot is worth 1.2m euros, i'm pretty sure it's parmalot (the milk company) but could be something different, who knows damn gerries and their messed up companies. also i forgot how big crazy sponsors were for this stuff, wife used to work for marlboro for 6 years, they treated employees great, if it wasn't for the fact that they were based in white power virgina, it wouldnt be so bad.

lauda is also a pimp, he divorced that wife in the movie and later married a girl half his age (34, she was flight attendant) and she gave him a kidney and twins.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Can't believe i totally missed this when it came out. Watched this at a friend's house, knew nothing about wtf it was about. Fucking great movie all around.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have discussed this movie with friends since watching it, and I think that the biggest reason I liked it so much was because I expected not to like it and had zero intention to even watch it. If that makes sense. I still think it was a great movie, but I wonder if I had been really excited to see it if I'd have been so enthusiastic afterward.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Real Lauda crash vs. movie CGI version.

FaECwfQ.gif

FyA2NAh.gif

J7yWZkj.gif

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Movie was incredible, only thing i questioned was if Hunt beat the shit out of the reporter

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Movie was incredible, only thing i questioned was if Hunt beat the shit out of the reporter
A controversial scene in the movie "Rush" depicts James Hunt punching out a journalist who had made an insulting comment to Niki Lauda about his appearance, after his head was horribly burned in a fiery accident.

Did this incident happen in real life? It did not happen, as depicted in the movie, but.

"It could have happened," said a friend of Hunt, who died 20 years ago and isn't around to speak for himself. The friend made the comment at the recent Italian Grand Prix. "That was something James would have done." Hunt's son Tom concurs that it was possible, "That's the way dad was."

Lauda said he had no direct knowledge of the incident.

fromhttp://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/20...-a-journalist/

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I read somewhere that before they made it big and were driving in the lower racing series in the UK. They actually shared a flat in London.

You can see though why that would be left out of the movie as it would be a further complication to the story. Show their different characters, focus on the rivalry on the track, yet sitting down to watch TV together that night.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
fantastic movie. the cgi fire kinda sucked but other than that amazing. i know it was low budget so i give that a break. solid 4/5 possibly 5/5. i don't do half stars.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got around to seeing it. Definitely met my expectations. I feel like had I never started watching Top Gear, I would never have gained an appreciation for F1.

A few more things of this quality and Senna, and maybe F1 will start to gain some traction in the US?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Left side is Highend GT cars. VERY fast vehicles. Right side is F1...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Chiming in with another "fantastic movie" comment. At no point did I think that the racing looked bad or even movie-like. It was extremely well done. The acting was also extremely good. I'm not sure if the pacing and overall story start/end points were perfect, it felt like something was a bit off there, but it didn't really detract from the movie significantly. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it from start to finish.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Agree with pretty much everything. Skipped it in the theaters because it didn't look that interesting in previews, so maybe my expectation level helped. But very surprised this isn't nominated for more. Highly enjoyable.