Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

spronk

FPS noob
hahaha that was awesome

i know gat is coming out on consoles, i wonder if they are gonna remaster SR4 and release that too

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ya that was great. Man there are a ton of people living in the past saying the series has been shit since 2. I prefer the ultra unrealistic stylized ones more than the GTA clones.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've only played the first two, but my impression is that most people prefer the zany nature of the series. I thought the third one is widely acclaimed as the best.

Northerner

N00b
I have to admit, I don't know why I love the Saint's Row franchise (honestly, I'm a fucking MMO/RPG/JRPG/Rogue/4c guy for the most part) but for some damned reason it amuses the hell out of me.

I should really just buy one of their stupid $400 packs -not on sale- for how much fun I've had playing their games though. If they did a donate button I'd likely throw cash at them just because.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've played them out of order. I picked up SR4 a few months ago on one of the sales and got about 20% through the game. I was loving it so I decided to pick up SR3 when a co-worker suggested it was better. I loved it and pretty much agree with them that 3 was better than 4. With that said, there are parts of 4 that I like but I wish the super powers were only limited to movement. I picked up 2 tonight and Gat Out of Hell. Overall I'm loving the humor in the franchise and I find the games fun.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a weird "Oops this product is no longer available for purchase!" error while checking out, but in the end it still let me buy it. It's probably a pricing error, but hopefully they don't cancel the preorders.

As for the franchise, 2 is by far the best and easily one of my favorite games of all time. That said, the PC version is an abomination even today, but if you're willing to jump through hoops to make it run correctly on Windows 7+ and install it to a SSD to ensure that the terribly optimized engine can load in data when you're driving at high speeds across the city then it will play fine.

3 was disappointing because there was less of everything good about 2, and the black humor was mostly replaced with more juvenile fare. 4 was [literally] just more of the same, with superpowers replacing the need for guns or cars for the majority of the game. Still good games, just not anywhere close to being on the same level as SR2. That's pretty much what I expect from Gat Out of Hell too.

Here's to hoping that SR5 goes back to the series' roots.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
As for the franchise, 2 is by far the best and easily one of my favorite games of all time. That said, the PC version is an abomination even today, but if you're willing to jump through hoops to make it run correctly on Windows 7+ and install it to a SSD to ensure that the terribly optimized engine can load in data when you're driving at high speeds across the city then it will play fine.
IdolNinja's Saints Row 2 Modding and Game Development

Gentlemen of the Row (mostly) fixes the SR2 PC port and then adds a bunch of new stuff on top as well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Got a weird "Oops this product is no longer available for purchase!" error while checking out, but in the end it still let me buy it. It's probably a pricing error, but hopefully they don't cancel the preorders.

3 was disappointing because there was less of everything good about 2, and the black humor was mostly replaced with more juvenile fare. 4 was [literally] just more of the same, with superpowers replacing the need for guns or cars for the majority of the game. Still good games, just not anywhere close to being on the same level as SR2. That's pretty much what I expect from Gat Out of Hell too.

Here's to hoping that SR5 goes back to the series' roots.
How can 2 be the best if it doesn't have Kinzie? Your argument is invalid.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vorph is just a grumpy octogenarian.

They'll never go back to the series roots. The sillier shit in SR2 was what made them stand apart from other GTA clones which is why they embraced it with SR3 and forward. There are tons of serious GTA clones on the market if you want to play one, there's no need for yet another.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really hope they do time travel and make the next one something like an Assassin's Creed parody.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really hope they do time travel and make the next one something like an Assassin's Creed parody.
Sounds pretty funny. Saints Row 5: Saints Creed.

Anyway the superpowered DLC from Saints Row 3 was really awesome and had me hoping they'd do something with it again, but I really didn't expect them to go full on superpowers the whole time in SR4. Would have been better if they toned the superpowers down just a tad.

Vaclav

I think it's pretty obvious with how they've done DLC hinting at the next game (almost testing it to make sure it's liked before going whole hog with it) that the next full game will be supernatural like Gat out of Hell is.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Eh, I thought they were going the time travel route with the epilogue from the main game.

Vaclav

Eh, I thought they were going the time travel route with the epilogue from the main game.
Yea, but if you look at all the epilogues thusfar they have never taken the route they tend to imply. (SR2 implied "going back home to get back to business" - was a new city and wackiness in SR3 [of which I found Corporate Warfare to be more wacky than the rest of SR2], SR3 implied mayor of Steelport as the future not anything alien, yet the DLC did aliens and there was a dose of superpowers in the main game) But then they do a DLC that they choose to expand upon into a full game. They even said that's how their mindset for SR4 being superhero based came about.

Don't get me wrong, it's just my theory - but does seem like how they've operated historically. (SR3's influence from SR2 is much looser though admittedly - but that's also well before the new hands on the license)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yea, but if you look at all the epilogues thusfar they have never taken the route they tend to imply. (SR2 implied "going back home to get back to business" - was a new city and wackiness in SR3 [of which I found Corporate Warfare to be more wacky than the rest of SR2], SR3 implied mayor of Steelport as the future not anything alien, yet the DLC did aliens and there was a dose of superpowers in the main game) But then they do a DLC that they choose to expand upon into a full game. They even said that's how their mindset for SR4 being superhero based came about.

Don't get me wrong, it's just my theory - but does seem like how they've operated historically. (SR3's influence from SR2 is much looser though admittedly - but that's also well before the new hands on the license)
New hands on the license? Saints Row has stayed with Volition. THQ didn't tell them what to do with Saints Row and neither does Deep Silver.

Vaclav

You've been around gaming long enough to know the publishers do influence things with their properties some, Gav. (*cough* EA, although not so much recently) Regardless, it's tangential to my theory - their own recent history has been following it closely - odds are they'd be more like their last 5 years than almost a decade ago.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude I used to work at Volition. They were THQ's flagship studio and look like they're Deep Silver's premier studio too. Smaller publishers have a lot less influence over their studios than big publishers like EA. Saints Row is also an established franchise. THQ had a lot more input on Red Faction, and you can see how that turned out.

Vaclav

Neat, didn't realize - and absolutely the smaller the publisher the more free reign generally given - I didn't think that the recent "hinting at next game" methods they've used have had anything to do with it anyhow. Was more of an aside.

But I'm sure you've still got a friend or two you could get something more in depth once it's properly in the works anyhow. Whereas I'm working with just my own silly theories, unless you've not kept any contacts I'm sure you could find something out and their actual thoughts behind how to do things anyhow.