Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch

Neki

Molten Core Raider
BBC Technology News - Samsung unveils Galaxy Gear smartwatch accessory

Samsung has unveiled a smartwatch with a colour screen that can show alerts, be used for voice calls and run apps.

The Galaxy Gear had been highly anticipated since the firm is currently the world's bestselling smartphone maker and has beaten Microsoft, Apple and Google to unveil such a device.

Samsung called it a "fashion icon".

However, analysts warned that a decision to limit the watch to working as an accessory to other Galaxy Android devices might limit its appeal.

It unveiled the the watch - which will go on sale from 25 September - at the Ifa consumer tech show in Berlin.

"Consumers might be a bit disappointed to find that the smartwatch is a partner device reliant on being paired with a Samsung Android smartphone or tablet, rather than being the completely autonomous device media and communications device many consumers were expecting and hoping for."

The South Korean firm's approach contrasts with that of Sony whose forthcoming Smartwatch 2 can be paired with any device running Android 4.0 or higher.

The Galaxy watch will cost about $300 (?192) making it more expensive than Sony's device which costs ?120.

Start-up Omate is planning to release a watch in October that matches Samsung's in price, but its device is set to feature a 3G chip meaning it can make calls and work as a standalone device.

The Galaxy Gear features a 1.6in (4cm) LED display, a 1.9 megapixel camera, a speaker and microphone, has four gigabytes of internal storage and a non-removable battery.

Samsung said the watch could be used as a way to make voice calls without having to take the phone it was linked to out of the owner's bag or pocket.

It comes preloaded with 10 different clock options and there will be about 70 apps available at launch including Evernote's note-taking software, auction service eBay, the social network Path and several fitness programs.
zdnet-cnet-samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-2-600x450.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not a fan of this idea. Seems like a technological step back to go back to wearing a watch. Kinda like people that want no part of having to wear glasses for 3D after having lasik/contacts and being glasses-free.

I'll be passing on the smartwatch fad, hopefully it dies out as quick as 3d tv.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not sure I understand what you mean joeboo? I don't like 3d tv either but I have nothing against people who do.my wife likes wearing a watch she doesn't want to pull her cellphone out to check the time.Sure it's a first world problem but so what? If she could text on her watch and make phone calls I don't see why that's a fad that would need to die. I doubt watches would ever replace phones.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that anyone that thinks a watch is useless hasn't worn one recently. When you're wearing a watch you *always* know what time it is because it just takes a quick glance down to see it. By comparison, getting a phone out of your hip pocket is a pretty big deal, especially if you're seated, driving, having a conversation, or engaged in any sort of activity. Ever tried answering the phone or even changing songs on your ipod while riding a bike? Nearly impossible. Being able to add things like emails, notifications, etc. to your watch would be very useful if you ask me. It would also be good for things like navigation, text messages, etc. while driving since it's far safer to glance down at your wrist while keeping your hands on the wheel than it is to pull out a cell phone and turn it on.

I will be pretty surprised if Apple's smart watch is great from day 1 and absolutely shocked if Samsung's doesn't totally blow, and I think $300 is a bit steep for my budget, but my mind remains completely open to the idea of a smart watch.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ever tried answering the phone or even changing songs on your ipod while riding a bike? Nearly impossible.
Long pressing volume keys(while screen is off) on the AOKP rom does next or previous song. I'm almost certain you could do something similar for a phone call.

And if you have a bluetooth headset, I believe you can set it to be contextually aware of voice commands.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Maybe its useful for the jogging/biking market, but thats about it. No one is going to pay $300 for an ugly ass watch except crazy fitness nuts. That thing is hideous, I wouldnt be caught dead wearing it out in public as a fashion accessory. Might as well go back to wearing our cellphones on a belt clip.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe its useful for the jogging/biking market, but thats about it. No one is going to pay $300 for an ugly ass watch except crazy fitness nuts. That thing is hideous, I wouldnt be caught dead wearing it out in public as a fashion accessory. Might as well go back to wearing our cellphones on a belt clip.
I wouldn't say its ugly, and to be honest have you seen some of the watches that are considered fashionable these days? Ginormous faces and crazy ass colours just like this one. That said, I agree they're too expensive; heck it is the same price as the Nexus-4 at release, and more expensive than any version of the Nexus-7 despite the Gear containing a worse SoC, smaller low-res screen, no gps, and less battery.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I could see it being a popular and viable product for ~$50. $300 is absolutely crazy, when it's not even a cell phone itself, it's just a screen that interfaces with your nearby cell phone.

For $300 it better be a full blown, state of the art standalone cell phone(with a tiny screen).

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Eh, this kind of tech seems tacky to me. Like wearing an ipod nano on your wrist. I'm still waiting for a built in HUD, in my head, but thats a few hundred years away probably.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Eh, this kind of tech seems tacky to me. Like wearing an ipod nano on your wrist. I'm still waiting for a built in HUD, in my head, but thats a few hundred years away probably.
I think that pretty much sums up my feelings. It's about on par with seeing people walking around with a bluetooth headset on their ear, talking into it. You don't want to be that guy, everyone makes fun of him behind his back for looking like a complete tool.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've been on the lookout for these

Pebble $150
Samsung Gear $300
Sony Smartwatch $220
GEAK $300
I'm Watch $399

The "I'm Watch" is already released and the reviews on it are bad

The Pebble is the most different and kinda the first one with the concept. The rest run full color screens and touchscreens. The pebble is eink (kindle) and uses side buttons no touch.

The samsung gear has a camera and you can talk dick tracy style with it, it has too much.

i think the gear has 25hours, the sony 3-4 days and the pebble can maybe go 8days

I have a fitbit wrist that looks like one of those armstrong bands, it works well and i don't have to charge it for 6-7days. I'm looking to replace this.

I currently wear my watch and the fitbit flex on the same arm, my less dominant arm, i hate having anything on my dominant arm, but with the fitbit flex, a watch (gun metal watch) and a wedding ring, my left arm is looking ridiculous.

All the watches look kinda dorky, i'm really leaning towards the pebble because it has a good hour spread, it'll relay the info i need (time/walked/notifications) do a few cool things (change songs) and thats it, also it uses standard 22mm watch bands so i can put a metal band on there (nice looking ones can be had on amazon for 20bucks, think timex/seiko kind), and not have a dorky looking 1980's calculator watch.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Which ones of those are standalone devices, and which ones need to be paired with a cell phone via bluetooth or whatever(like the Samsung?). I think having to be paired with a phone is a deal-killer for a $300 device. Something that costs that much should be completely autonomous.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well they can all function without a phone, obviously you'll need a phone for the notifications/phone calls. i'm pretty sure they all play music through the phone, there is a headphone jack on the GEAK, but it's chinese so more concrete info get's translated. besides the pebble, they all run variations of android 1.6, 2.5, 3 or 4.1. I'm Watch runs 1.6, i think it's why it get's such low reviews. I think what'll really make a difference is which ones have bluetooth 3 or 4(more energy savings).

Vanyar_sl

shitlord
I have a pebble and I was initially skeptical of how a watch can make any difference.. but boy, I have been loving it so far. Ultimately, it is a second screen that you can glance without pulling out your phone. I mean, yea so what? But you will quickly realize that there are so many instances where you can leave the phone in your pocket and quickly tell if that text or email is important.. saves you from being rude in meetings or obnoxious around with friends (we are actually starting to dislike it when someone stares at their phone during a dinner or something).

I use an iPhone so there are some drawbacks like not having access to the more custom apps that the pebble community has developed. And there are some crazy things that they have done. Lanx, you should google to see if there is any development for flexbit for pebble, I am not familiar with it but I did a quick google and it seems like they have some sort of app already or something, you might wanna look into it more yourself. The battery life for my pebble is roughly 5 days between charges, with each charge roughly 2 hours. I think the battery life on samsung gear is really silly.. a watch is suppose to stay alive to tell me the time, not die halfway or having to recharge daily. And it is a really cool watch by itself, all my friends dig the looks of it.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Which ones of those are standalone devices, and which ones need to be paired with a cell phone via bluetooth or whatever(like the Samsung?). I think having to be paired with a phone is a deal-killer for a $300 device. Something that costs that much should be completely autonomous.
Do you really want another device with a data plan? Not to mention the additional battery needed for a cellular modem and wifi.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
No, ideally the watch would act as a mini 2nd phone, using the same number and plan as your primary cell phone when it is turned on. Watch on = all calls texts and emails route to the watch as well as the phone. That way you could leave the phone at home or in your car or whatever. I just think a $300 device should do more than only exist for the convenience of not having to pull your phone out of your pocket

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They're going to have to get the prices down to the $150 range for these things to take off I think. On the other hand, I don't think having the watch be an autonomous device would be a good idea. All those radios will kill the battery life and for what? So you don't have to have a phone in your pocket? Who cares?

I really think the samsung device is way too complicated. All I would want from a smart watch is basically the information that is on my notification shade in Android, whatever the next thing I need to do in navigation, and maybe music/podcast controls. Putting a camera on it is just retarded.