San Diego (3n), San Fran (3n), NYC (3w)

faille

Molten Core Raider
Got a holiday to these cities starting monday (13th march) and wondering if there's any must see / must do things that aren't common knowledge or unusual?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
San Diego can be fun. Not sure how far you want to travel or what your interests are so hard to provide good guidance, but…

• Coronado island and the hotel are historic and pretty
  • lots of good microbreweries all over
  • ”old town” is the(apparently) original founding location of San Diego and looks like a little Mexican village, kinda neat. Lots of good sloppy Mexican food and some tourist shit and shops
  • obviously beaches if that’s your thing. Wind and Sea is unique or anything up north like solans or Oceanside
  • not sure if anything is going on at Del Mar in general but there is always something there, thing they have some king tut Art/history thing going on
  • if you like outdoors and have more time Joshua tree is a 2.5h drive and one of murica’s National parks
  • like any city there is a standard downtown with little Italy, hillcrest(gay), north park, etc
  • san Diego zoo is famous and it’s cousin called “Safari park“ is pretty neat. I guess the dude who founded the zoo didn’t like the cage concept so he made a second place that’s more wide open, like a safari
  • sea world, not much to say about this
  • legoland is up by LA if you have kids
  • temecula is wine country, lots of little vineyards where you can eat or do a tasting with a nice view
let me know if you can help me focus ideas more

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
cheers!
Just the Wife and I, no kids. No car either, so that limits a lot of things. Beaches / Zoo probably skip since we have good ones here.
Mostly aiming for the unique things that aren't available or common anywhere.
Old Town sounds good, as does Coronado Island, so I'll investigate those further.
So hard picking just 2 or 3 days worth of stuff out of so many options though.
Is there a good hop on / hop off bus in San Diego? Lot of people recommend those as a good way to get an overview of a city, which makes sense.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
There may be a bus but I’m not aware of it nor ever taken it. You can Uber to both places

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
cheers!
Just the Wife and I, no kids. No car either, so that limits a lot of things. Beaches / Zoo probably skip since we have good ones here.
Mostly aiming for the unique things that aren't available or common anywhere.
Old Town sounds good, as does Coronado Island, so I'll investigate those further.
So hard picking just 2 or 3 days worth of stuff out of so many options though.
Is there a good hop on / hop off bus in San Diego? Lot of people recommend those as a good way to get an overview of a city, which makes sense.
i would rent a car for san diego

my wife and i tried to do uber only for san diego, shit was too difficult and expensive cuz it was during biden flation gas and everything is so far away cuz your in and around a fucking mountain.

you can use public transport for san fran, they have enough busses and easy to rent shitty bikes

of course nyc has the subway, just don't get pushed onto the tracks by a bum or a nog or a bummy nog, if you want a more tourist friendly subway guide to nyc i can give that too

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What are you into? Do you drink? Are you an adventurous eater? I've lived in SF for 12 years and know the city really well. If the weather cooperates (it's been really rainy) I always recommend the Lands End Trail. Alcatraz is really cool but it sucks up a decent chunk of the day. If you've never seen redwoods you should also check out Muir Woods but you'll need to use a shuttle or something since you have no car. Having a car in SF proper isn't necessary. Uber/Lyft is cheap, the public transit is solid, and outside of the hills it's really walkable.

Go to Burma Love for Burmese food. Get a tea leaf salad. This should be a requirement for all visitors.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gas Lamp in San Diego is a lot of fun (or was) when I use to go to SD a lot. Lots of bars and restaurants.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
Seems like San Diego will be spent adjusting to jet leg. Really struggling to get used to it.
We're staying in the gaslamp area. definitely lots of bars and places but those days are behind me sadly. Are prices here indicative of everywhere? Seems quite pricey, but that could just be the exchange rate kicking us in the arse.

Thinking of jumping on one of the trams here and riding it back and forth, or walking to the aircraft carrier museum.
Is the I Bar (from top gun) worth visiting? seems like a bit of a hike to get to
(my wife is in a conference for next two days, so flying solo atm)

San Fran we're staying in between china town and the Tenderloin. Basically only have Friday and Sat there, catching the zephyr first thing sunday morning to denver. decided to skip alcatraz since it would chew into our time there too much.

As for what I'm into, gaming obviously ;) as much into tabletop these days though, so a nice boardgame cafe would be good. Not much into outdoor / adventure stuff.
More into good experiences. So while I like good food, I'll remember a good venue more. My favourite place in Tokyo was a tiny resteraunt operated by a mum and son family, that felt like you were eating in their house (which I think we were). I do enjoy a good history / ghost tour.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Go to Burma Love for Burmese food. Get a tea leaf salad. This should be a requirement for all visitors.

Burma Love looks awesome. Sadly my wife can't eat Garlic or Onion ( and whole bunch of other things) due to allergies, so limits food options a lot. She was amazed to discover a place here that made quesadila's without the ingredients that made her sick!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There are a bunch of gaming spots in SF. Lotta nerds here. You have Game Parlour, Sycamore, Gamescape has gaming events, Laughing Monk Brewing had games when I went a couple years ago but not sure if they still do.

It's over the top but Emporium is super fun as an arcade for adults. Just avoid weekend nights because it's a shitshow. But they have a fuck ton of classic arcade games mixed with table games and newer arcade games.

It's more of a museum, but Musée Mécanique is worth a visit. It has really old coin-operated games and such that still work. Some really creepy shit back in the day but it's definitely worth a visit to see the precursor to arcade games and pinball machines.

The Tenderloin is awful. It's the neighborhood that you always see in the media to show how shitty San Francisco is. The rest of the city is pretty damn safe and clean, but that area is every bit as bad as you've heard. That said, it does have some dope spots. There's a tiki bar called Zombie Village with bamboo huts and a "starry" sky. If you want an impressive venue check out the Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel which is right in the area you're staying. It used to be an indoor pool and it was converted into a tiki bar. It has rainstorms inside and the band goes out into the pool on a boat. The drinks are strong af though so be prepared. And the food sucks balls so just go for drinks.

If the weather is nice enjoy a meal at Barrio and watch the boats out on the Bay or grab a meal/drink at Pier 23 Cafe

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Prices in San Diego are like that everywhere lol. Obviously beach and downtown are a bit more than inland areas, but welcome to CA

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Prices in San Diego are like that everywhere lol. Obviously beach and downtown are a bit more than inland areas, but welcome to CA
That sucks. Luckily we're headed to San Fran next, and then New York. That means things will get cheaper right? right?

faille

Molten Core Raider
The Tenderloin is awful. It's the neighborhood that you always see in the media to show how shitty San Francisco is.
The Tenderloin is awful. It's the neighborhood that you always see in the media to show how shitty San Francisco is.
Holy shit you weren't kidding. Had to pass via the outskirts to get some shopping done and it has to be the most feral place I have ever seen. Including shit on TV and movies.

Time really got away from us to do any of your interesting things. Ended up just doing the tourist crap which were cool but time consuming. Waited an hour to get on the cable car for example.

We did have a dinner at the cheesecake factory on union square. Tad pricey but awesome being on the rooftop overlooking the square. Would recommend.

Tomorrow we're on the zephyr over the Rockies to Denver

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
We did have a dinner at the cheesecake factory on union square. Tad pricey but awesome being on the rooftop overlooking the square. Would recommend.

I'm all about your right to choose where you want to eat freely, but coming to San Francisco and eating at Cheesecake Factory is kind of a crime.

• 1Like