San Francisco/San Jose

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah, Brutul's right. Sorry Soriak, nothing is in San Jose except a ton of asians and mexicanos (well, I guess the same could be said for SF ;p).

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Boo... will have some time that should make a trip to the Monteray aquarium feasible. But mostly there for work.

Any good Mexican restaurants, then?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Mexican restaurants are everywhere. The shittier they look, the better they are.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's been quite a few years since I lived near Monterey, but I remember there being quite a few really great little delis.

Santa Cruz has a nice little downtown area (minus the dirty hippies/bums)

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As a tourist i was always told to try the seafood in Monterey, has that recommendation changed recently?

Disp_sl

shitlord
Margaritaville in Capitola, right next to Santa Cruz, is some great Mexican food with an awesome view. My favorite burrito place is Planet Fresh in downtown Santa Cruz. I go there probably once a week for lunch and it's by far my favorite, plus it has an awesome salsa bar. Tacos Moreno is a little hole in the wall to-go Mexican food place that would probably be my favorite if Planet Fresh didn't exist.

A couple other really good non-Mexican food places in SC are Seabright Brewery and 99 Bottles. Both are burger/beer type places.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
One of the best dive bars I've ever been to is in Santa Cruz. One Double Oh Seven Club. Friend and I saw a show at the Rio and we stopped by that joint. Pool, darts, shuffleboard, foosball. Tons of TVs for sports.

rrr_img_43799.jpg

You could visit the shit statue in San Jose.

I don't live in California anymore, but I spend 3-5 weeks in Carmel (next to Monterey) when I go back. It's quaint. Wine tastings, shops, nice scenic stuff. 17-mile drive is about 20 minutes away.

Quoting myself from last year in the otherthread:
There are some cool bunkers in San Francisco with probably the best view of the bridge, and towers overlooking the bluffs on the other side. Used to fuck around there as a kid, I think it's the Spencer battery. Looking at some pictures online, it might be all pretty sanitized these days with guard rails and such... maybe the interesting (and dangerous) stuff is all blocked off. Even if you're not into the history of the area, you really can't go wrong with the view.
Brutul has a nice picture from the area.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
No, Mint is a pretty great karaoke bar. It isn't Japanese-style like most. It's one of the better public humiliation karaoke bars in the city.