Science Ethics and Racism in Drug Enforcement Thread

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So clearly you don't know what a social construct is.

social construct
noun
a social mechanism, phenomenon, or category created and developed by society; a perception of an individual, group, or idea that is 'constructed' through cultural or social practice

Social constructionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Social constructionism or the social construction of reality (also social concept) is a theory of knowledge in sociology and communication theory that examines the development of jointly constructed understandings of the world. It assumes that understanding, significance, and meaning are developed not separately within the individual, but in coordination with other human beings. The elements most important to the theory are (1) the assumption that human beings rationalize their experience by creating a model of the social world and how it functions and (2) that language is the most essential system through which humans construct reality.[1]
did you link an atheist tribe to show that you can have religion without a social construct
No, you're literally a pyromaniac in a field of strawmen at this point.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So clearly you don't know what a social construct is.

social construct
noun
a social mechanism, phenomenon, or category created and developed by society; a perception of an individual, group, or idea that is 'constructed' through cultural or social practice

Social constructionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, you're literally a pyromaniac in a field of strawmen at this point.
Im sure imliterallythat.

I leave work at 6, so 10 more minutes!!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I feel like you guys read that sentence, and stopped at "You're literally a pyromaniac" and then hit reply.

Because that's....literally...the only context where the word...literally...couldn't be used in that sentence in that way.

I leave work at 6, so 10 more minutes!!
I just got back from one of my last classes of the semester and I'm going to begin drinking in about that same time frame.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I feel like you guys read that sentence, and stopped at "You're literally a pyromaniac" and then hit reply.

Because that's....literally...the only context where the word...literally...couldn't be used in that sentence in that way.

I just got back from one of my last classes of the semester and I'm going to begin drinking in about that same time frame.
Its not my fault youliterallyuse words the wrong way.

Or do you mean that the word means the opposite of its meaning, So is its use unethical ??

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Except I didn't use the word literally incorrectly there.

You're blazing through multiple strawmen, which makes you literally a pyromaniac in a field full of strawmen.

If I'd said you're "literally a pyromaniac" and ended the statement there, without the rest of the sentence, then this completely retarded complaint might be warranted.

Furthermore

lit?er?al?ly
'lid?r?le,'litr?le/
adverb

in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"
synonyms: exactly, precisely, actually, really, truly; More
informal
used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

"I have received literally thousands of letters"
Either way I still used the word correctly.

literally - Google ?j?M

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hodj is technically correct. They changed the definition of literally because so many people were using it incorrectly. Even the fucking Oxford English Dictionary caved in to the stupidity.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well its an etymological fallacy to claim a word must, by necessity, retain solely its historical meaning

Etymological fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The etymological fallacy is a genetic fallacy that holds, erroneously, that the present-day meaning of a word or phrase should necessarily be similar to its historical meaning. This is a linguistic misconception,[1] and is sometimes used as a basis for linguistic prescription. An argument constitutes an etymological fallacy if it makes a claim about the present meaning of a word based exclusively on its etymology.[2] This does not, however, show that etymology is irrelevant in any way, nor does it attempt to prove such.

A variant of the etymological fallacy involves looking for the "true" meaning of words by delving into their etymologies,[3] or claiming that a word should be used in a particular way because it has a particular etymology. Notable examples include the terms antisemitism and philosemitism, which were coined to refer to Jews specifically, rather than to Semites in general.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I literally miss your Mark O'Mara avatar from the Zimmerman trial days.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Hodj is technically correct. They changed the definition of literally because so many people were using it incorrectly. Even the fucking Oxford English Dictionary caved in to the stupidity.
That is pretty funny in a sad way. Although didn't someone in this very thead say something like, "if everyone in world except says a fallasy except one person, then everyone in the world except that one person is wrong." Just because almost everyone says it's alright now doesn't make it so.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I literally miss your Mark O'Mara avatar from the Zimmerman trial days.
I'm honestly curious if you believe ebonics is a language now? Since that is what SJW's love to do, change the meaning of words to fit their argument.

You were correct in your usage but you sure as fuck shouldn't agree with that change. We already had a word for that situation.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Depends on how you mean. From the linguistic perspective I think it is probably considered a language, but I'm not sure I'd encourage people to use it.

Like Spanglish is also considered a language, I think, but I wouldn't encourage people to use it either. Especially not in professional settings.

That's a personal, subjective opinion, though. I don't have any classes in linguistics, since it has been more and more split off from the traditional four field anthropological training into its own field I think. I mean they used to require you to take some linguistics classes to be an anthro major, but that's much less common now, so I simply don't have a background to make a judgement call on that from an academic perspective.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That is pretty funny in a sad way. Although didn't someone in this very thead say something like, "if everyone in world except says a fallasy except one person, then everyone in the world except that one person is wrong." Just because almost everyone says it's alright now doesn't make it so.
But the idea that words retain essentialist meanings by necessity and cannot change is already a fallacy of reasoning.

ITS AN ENIGMA WRAPPED IN A CONUNDRUM

LITERALLY

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But the idea that words retain essentialist meanings by necessity and cannot change is already a fallacy of reasoning.

ITS AN ENIGMA WRAPPED IN A CONUNDRUM

LITERALLY
The problem I have with it is you just made the language worse. There was no need for it. Should we just remove figuratively from the dictionary?