Scrolls

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Most of my vs people games are around 15-20m. Lots of surrenders once I get control of the board as Order.
Heh, I seem to never get those - literally have had a game go an hour after I've knocked 2 of their idols off and the other three damaged (with them stabilizing a bit, but still).

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
So not to shit up this thread with more Cardhunter comparisons but I paid the $20 to try Scrolls today. It looks fun and I'm sure I'll be playing it to pass the time but it is not Cardhunter. When playing through the CH campaign it was one of those things where you start playing at 8pm and just want to keep playing one more round and then WTF it is 4am and you have to be at work in 3 hours...

And yeah CH has PVP and it is also pretty badass.
Thanks, I signed up for the beta!

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
just picked this up. huge tcg newb but i pick up fast. ign is balroc if you want to duel/friend whatever.

initial (newbie) impressions:

i`m running energy and from the getgo i`m noticing that catapults of all varieties are trash. low damage, get killed off immediately. garb.

the high damage-random shot catapults also never hit and are probably good for when the entire field is full, which is never.

growth is a poison. every match vs growth is just a swarm of wolves/hasted mobs all the while they are pumping out more cards with those sisters of the claw. fuck that.

other than that i`m liking it. it needs a few more factions and cards but i imagine those are coming down the pipe eventually.

any tips for energy?

i`m just stacking every non-catapult card in my deck atm.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
There is a new faction being added "soon". Along with more cards for each faction after that.

Growth is nasty because its similar to goblin decks in MtG and a perfect Growth hand is nearly unbeatable. Energy is a lot of direct damage, getting high priority targets off and ranged damage. The reason those Hellspitter Mortars are good, even if they miss nearly all the time, is they are basically an attacking wall. Like any game, you need to know the importance of your enemies cards, which is even more important since Energy has so much direct damage. Getting rares in this game are important too, Thunder Surge can clear a lot of Growth units easily. Lastly, focus on board control first. If you just focus on idols you're gonna have a bad time. If you get board control you can win most games.

Some minor text fixed on cards today.

https://scrolls.com/2013/06/scrolls-...94-2#more-2348

Apparently this weekend there is an update with replays, import/export decks, and more goodies.

Edit: Apparently that replay thing is just a MOD releasing this week. Guess we'll see how that works out.

Northerner

N00b
Well, first impressions are just that I guess.

For a $21 beta I won't complain but there's still quite a lot that needs work here. The framework is decent and fun but the cards and turn system itself certainly could be improved. I'm not expecting MtG levels of complexity out of the gate but it seems to be really, really basic right now.

Having a bit of fun but I'm not sure how well this'll develop. I'm hoping for some big changes.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's suuuuuper basic right now. The biggest concern I have is whether or not the game will continue to be completely non-interactive during your opponents turn. It really feels like it needs the equivalent of instant speed spells/abilities to have any real kind of depth. Obviously larger card pools etc will be coming, but I'm not sure the mechanics they have in place right now will be enough.

Northerner

N00b
I'd have to say straight up "no" at this point.

We don't *need* rebounds, flash, counters and miracles and so on yet but we sure as hell need at least sorc v instant v interrupts and similar. It is very, very basic at this point.

I'm still interested though in the concept and hey, with some work there's no reason they can't just supplant WotC.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There is a huge user base waiting to be tapped for an online CCG like this, so if they can get it right it'll do quite well. MTGO is a turd for pricing reasons alone (rofl full retail packs) and I think is probably very susceptible to getting a lot of its users stolen.

Rime

<Donor>
I got into the 'Card Hunter' beta a few days ago and have not touched Scrolls since =(

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Got into Card Hunter, didn't finish the tutorial. It bugged out when I could right click a card to learn about it... went back to scrolls. Card Hunter felt more like a table top p&p rpg... pass.

Northerner

N00b
Again though, Scrolls==potential but I'm stymied as to why they are just fucking around.

There just *must* be IP issues as to why they can't essentially port over the WotC system but no man alive can pretend what they have right now is even close. Fuck, it isn't even close to the MtGO single-player stuff.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
I'd prefer they didn't allow playing cards on your opponents turn, because then you have to add all the "okay" buttons between actions like MTGO has every single action. It's not as "fun" to play personally. I don't want MTGO, I want something different and I think the board gives Scrolls some unique opportunities.

For a more MTGO like game, Hex is coming out soonish.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
At least Scrolls isn't pay 2 win like every other online tcg. Not sure about Card Hunter, but even Hex is pay 2 win. If you can pay for packs with real money, just play MtG.

velk

Trakanon Raider
At least Scrolls isn't pay 2 win like every other online tcg. Not sure about Card Hunter, but even Hex is pay 2 win. If you can pay for packs with real money, just play MtG.
Hex PvE has no pay to win option, you can't buy PvE cards, only PvP ones. Also, formats like sealed and draft are pay to play, not pay to win. It's only constructed format where it's obviously pay to win.

I wouldn't hype Scroll's lack of pay to win too much yet in any case - it's paid beta at the moment and already sells decks and individual cards for real cash. Maybe they will leave it like that, maybe they will change their mind when they need more cash.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
But its very limited and if they keep it as is once they build up more cards it won't hurt the balance of the game. Buying a basic starter deck doesn't hurt much of anything imo and a choice of 2 commons, 2 uncommons, and 2 rares a week won't matter either. Plus you can get that all for ingame currency too. Regardless it does change things more currently because there is less cards, but in a few months? Not such a big deal.

Glad to hear Hex PvE has a no p2w. Depends on how good it really ends up being and how long it'll last to decide if the PvE is any good or not. I just enjoy a pvp/pve experience that can't be completely bought with real money. They've already made profit on Scrolls and are still selling Minecraft, so unless they get greedy they don't need to add p2w options for cash. There is cosmetic stuff in the works though that will definitely be bought up by the Scrolls community.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Anyone know if there's a cardhunter giveaway anywhere soon? I signed up a few weeks ago but no luck so far. Scrolls was kind of meh to me.

if you don't plan on playing the ol' card hunter feel free to send it my way, i'm still waiting in the beta queue as well....