SCUM

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
SCUM aims to evolve the multiplayer open world survival game with unprecedented levels of character customization, control and progression, where knowledge and skills are the ultimate weapons for long-term survival.

Just went into early access, looks like it might have potential. Anyone picking it up?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
SCUM aims to evolve the multiplayer open world survival game with unprecedented levels of character customization, control and progression, where knowledge and skills are the ultimate weapons for long-term survival.

Just went into early access, looks like it might have potential. Anyone picking it up?

No.

This thing is a steaming pile of garbage I advise to stay away.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
STOP

GIVING

DEVS

MONEY

FOR

EARLY

ACCESS

SURVIVAL

TRASH

• 10Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 15 users

Del

Vyemm Raider
Fool me once, DayZ, shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

I saw Shroud play it 2 days in a row. Dayz with events that don’t hurt your character, you can shit/piss on stuff (you have to piss/shit as a mechanic anyways), and point based respawn options. The 3rd person mechanic also makes it impossible to peak players. If they aren’t LOS, they are invisible. Wearing correct camo impacts render distance. Also, turning down gfx doesn’t give you an advantage in peaking foliage hiders.

• 3Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they fix the server issues, the game actually looks like its in a pretty decent state.

• 2Like

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
I (also) watched Shroud play, he really liked it. IDK what reviewers have against it though. I looked solid, apart from early server issues.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Nah, Shroud loves these types of games or MMO grinds. When FO76 comes out/he gets early access, expect him to play the hell out of that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Shroud has got to be getting paid to stream this.

Most of them are. It's always been a nice little shady part of the business. It's also illegal unless they display a "Sponsored by" on the stream - but 99% of them don't, and it's impossible to enforce. And only a few have been busted.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I watched Shroud play this for 30 minutes, two things came to mind:

1. Shroud is really boring to watch

2. This game looks like shit

• 3Like

Cybsled

I played for about 30 min this morning. I spawned in some shit spot with a graveyard and stone buildings. There was a spot on the map that building wise just looked like shacks, so I went there anyways. Ended up being a nuclear command bunker with mech guards. No guns yet, but lots of military gear, ammo, and scopes. All the doors were shut, so I don’t think anyone else had found it.

Cybsled

So I've been playing it a few days now.

1) At least on the server I've been playing on, player warping is still an issue.
2) Lootwise, military locations are the place to go. There are a high number of them, so it isn't like DayZ where there are only a couple and campers just setup there 24/7. There are regular towns, but the loot usually tends to be pretty shit outside of food items. There is also variety in military loot locations, ranging from the obvious airfield, to a fuel depot, to bunkers. For instance, some bunkers are hospital bunkers, so they're mostly medical supplies. Some are storage depots and have lots of loot crates, etc. The mechs keep the dipshits out who don't know how to be sneaky. One bunker I found had a mech that had like a 5 second path, so the only way to get into the bunker was to be extremely smart about how you handled that. The mechs are useful, though. If you're looting a building and you hear them shooting/shouting warnings, then you know someone else is nearby.
3) I think I ran into a hacker. I was in a room /w only 1 door, cleared the entire room, then when I turned around to grab a crate, guy magically appears behind me and unloads a pistol into my head
4) Crafting seems deep, but is clunky because of storage limitations. You basically have to dump shit on the ground, but you can craft from ground spawns. This is especially true with anything that uses sticks. You can bundle sticks together in packs to move a bunch, but its still a pain in the ass. Also, your stats and proficiency skills tie into what you can craft.
5) If you run out of food, you can eat zombie/player meat (can get sick if you eat raw meat). You can also find lots of forest forrage.
6) Some elements aren't intuitive. For instance, if you find a scope, you can't attach it to a gun until you find the gun appropriate rail attachment that lets you attach the scope to the gun.
7) There is a bug where if you punch while running, it regens your stamina so you can keep running w/o getting tired. Since there are no vehicles in the game yet, everyone is using this glitch to cut down on travel times lol

It has promise, but the #1 thing I would say is fix the warping shit. It's clear from many ingame items that they have plans to make interactive machinery/vehicles/add nuclear elements/etc.

• 2Like

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
bout to pick this up for me and a buddy, who else is playing?

Steam Community :: TecK

add me on steam if anyone else has this and wants to derp around, is there anything else you can change to improve fps? i heard something about going into the files and changing the FoV there and it should help with performance?

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Played about 4 hours last night. It's...interesting. There's a lot of potential there, but right now I'm not sure what we'd do after we've figured out the basics of the myriad of systems in the game.

Going to places with mechs seems kind of like cheating. It trivializes pretty much everything about the early game learning curve that makes the game hard (and therefore satisfying).

And it's really not that big of a deterrent. Yeah, the mechs can one shot you, but as long as you don't go wildly running around, they're mostly harmless.

Cybsled

I still prefer that over Dayz's "I found a shitty pistol after searching the game for 2 weeks, only to get domed by a camper 5 minutes later".

Until the game gets more content, this current setup is fine. I go hunting for players since most are drawn to bunkers or other mech-guarded spots and getting killed doesn't crush your will to play more, since it isn't super hard to get some decent gear again. Plus the mechs let you know when people are there ;)

I've been traveling around the map to visit various bunkers or POI to learn which are the best. Some of the bunkers are not worth your time. The best ones are the ones that have a mix of armories, supply rooms, medical rooms, and the various military crates. For instance, there is one bunker pretty much middle-top of the map that is pretty much all medical. I found one in the North-West that is a massive storage vault with a fuckton of everything, so a prime spot. There is another one in the middle-south which also is extremely large and has a decent loot drop.

I have noticed, though, that unless it is a pure RNG thing, you never find sniper rifles or rarer guns inside bunkers. It is almost always pistols, shotguns, mp5, AKU and AK47. You can find ammo and attachments for them sometimes, but I haven't seen them at all inside bunkers. The good rifles seem to be at the POI mostly, which are actually more dangerous since zombies get inside more easily and there are more points of entry for players or places you can get shot from (windows/etc).

Doors don't shut until full server reset/restart after they have been opened, so if you clear a location and plan to logout there, I always recommend shutting all the doors. When you log back in, if they are open, then you know someone has been there. If the loot boxes all seem to be empty and there is random equipment on the floor, then someone has been there in the past 30 minutes or so. I ran into a duo inside one bunker and those tricks helped save me (that and they weren't patient...they sprung their trap too early, so I was able to get to cover and eventually kill both). Shotgun is godlike in close quarters, almost a guaranteed insta-kill if you're within 20-30 feet. When clearing a possible player infested location, always make sure you are in combat mode (press V...your character shoulders the weapon and is ready to fight, vs. them holding it down at their waist).

Also, always keep an eye on your metabolism tab. Piss/take a dump before entering a hotspot so you don't have an emergency at a bad time.

Also, once you get geared, keep an eye on bodytemp. Hyperthermia is a massive pain to get rid of...basically you have to dump any clothing designed to increase warmth and drink a lot of water (not too much or you get instant diarrhea), but you lose storage.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Apparently in a recent patch they added a .50 Desert Eagle, ammo for it was everywhere, I never found one in loot. I took a shit in a bathroom while looting a house for food and one fell out of my ass. Now I and trying to find more food hoping I shit out a clip for it.