Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Do the headless bosses?

Nope. You can get to them before Genichiro? I looked pretty much all over the place and the only ways forward I found were the Folding Monkey idol (doesn't work yet) and the locked door after the centipede guy (no key). The only thing I didn't do that I found was this one miniboss in the cavern area who was surrounded by purple flame and kept proccing instant death Terror.

And yeah, this game definitely has some of From's best boss fights ever. Which is saying something.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nope. You can get to them before Genichiro? I looked pretty much all over the place and the only ways forward I found were the Folding Monkey idol (doesn't work yet) and the locked door after the centipede guy (no key). The only thing I didn't do that I found was this one miniboss in the cavern area who was surrounded by purple flame and kept proccing instant death Terror.

And yeah, this game definitely has some of From's best boss fights ever. Which is saying something.
One headless is in the lake next to Genchiro's spot on Ashina castle. There's another in the cave down and to the right of that area near the Demon Bell. You need the Divine Confetti to hurt them though.

That one shaman guy you found has some gimmick that I forget how to deal with.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
One headless is in the lake next to Genchiro's spot on Ashina castle. There's another in the cave down and to the right of that area near the Demon Bell. You need the Divine Confetti to hurt them though.

That one shaman guy you found has some gimmick that I forget how to deal with.

I'm looking at this to save myself some problems later on since I'm about 75% sure I'll end up going for the platinum:

Headless Ape isn't the same thing as Guardian Ape right? Cause it says not to go past Guardian Ape or Corrupted Monk without making sure I got every last miniboss.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking at this to save myself some problems later on since I'm about 75% sure I'll end up going for the platinum:

Headless Ape isn't the same thing as Guardian Ape right? Cause it says not to go past Guardian Ape or Corrupted Monk without making sure I got every last miniboss.

There are two apes but I don’t remember their names. I want to say Guardian is the one in the large outdoor arena with the fallen logs/trees

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Headless ape is the fight with two apes. The headless one and the regular one.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Alright, I'm gonna hold off on the apes until after Genichiro. It feels like I've already played the whole game since I've watched so many clips of it over the years. Think I've seen every boss.

Is Genichiro about the halfway point of the game like I've heard?

Also it would be awesome if I had something to practice lightning-deflecting with. Having never done it, when Genichiro does it I end up just diving out of the way so I don't die. Maybe that tutorial guy near the beginning has a way to throw lightning. Haven't tried Gen a second time yet, will later this week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Alright, I'm gonna hold off on the apes until after Genichiro. It feels like I've already played the whole game since I've watched so many clips of it over the years. Think I've seen every boss.

Is Genichiro about the halfway point of the game like I've heard?

Also it would be awesome if I had something to practice lightning-deflecting with. Having never done it, when Genichiro does it I end up just diving out of the way so I don't die. Maybe that tutorial guy near the beginning has a way to throw lightning. Haven't tried Gen a second time yet, will later this week.

Yeah that's about halfway, although he's the first "real" boss IMO, after him are another 4-5 bosses who are even more ass-rapey.

I'm not aware of any way to practice lightning other than dying to Gen a lot. Like I did. My experience was similar to yours, killed his first phase and was like "oh cool that was easier than I thought!" then "ohh.... phase two...."

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that's about halfway, although he's the first "real" boss IMO, after him are another 4-5 bosses who are even more ass-rapey.

I'm not aware of any way to practice lightning other than dying to Gen a lot. Like I did. My experience was similar to yours, killed his first phase and was like "oh cool that was easier than I thought!" then "ohh.... phase two...."

So phase 2 is the real battle?

Lightning countering looks really fun in videos so I hope I get it down.

Wo Long taught me parrying and made me a lot more competent for this game, but you can get through most of Wo Long using the same strategies for every boss fight. Being able to level up also helps a lot. Sekiro on the other hand you constantly have to learn new tactics and it makes for some of the best boss fights I've ever seen. I'm glad they never put an easy mode into this game, because the boss fights being as they are is the whole point of the game. Nowhere else can I have Fromsoft Duels like this, really. Just an absolutely sick game, but it does ask that you spend the time to learn how to play it. That's too much for game journalists, I know, but I'm really glad it exists in the form it's in.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
After I get through Rogue Trader I am going to play some action games again Sekiro time it is.

Prob after the new year though as I will be out of town.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm taking a break from it since I got to Genichiro (and gave him the one try as a fun test run). Got too much going on between now and the new year, so I might not resume it until then. Hopefully my ability to play doesn't atrophy in the meantime (it shouldn't, not in that short a span).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20240110_184102.jpg

Resuming this with intent to beat the game and 100% it. Genichiro downed, got the Prenerf Rivers of Blood. Kind of bummed this didn't just become my default sword because it looks awesome...

Yep, going all the way with this. I like this game so much that I think the same thing will happen that happened with Elden Ring, where I finish the game and don't want to play anything else for a while because nothing else is this. It's a weird phenomenon that I've only had with From games. Right now I've got this at #2 for the From Seven behind ER, and I think this is actually more fun moment to moment.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
UPDATE: Got through Ashina Depths and Sunken Valley. I scoured for heal potion charges and prayer beads and I think I got everything available. HP meter looks about right, but I only have 8 potions and most videos I see of this point in the game have 10. Maybe 10 is the max and those videos are recorded on an NG+ cycle though.

At the point now where I have to win a boss fight to continue in any direction, pretty much tapped out the explorable area just like I did before Genichiro. Next 3 fights are the giant yeti, O-Rin of the Water, and Corrupted Monk. I was able to get the yeti and O-Rin down pretty far (both about a third to halfway down in their second form) but I got mauled by the Corrupted Monk.

Not sure how much of the game is left after this. Really looking forward to Fountainhead Palace. Mainly because I want the attack mask. Not sure how much use I'll actually get out of it though, given how many points it takes to raise attack power. At this point it's almost not even worth the effort, especially considering if I go for a few attack, it'll make remaining skills take a lot longer to learn. I thought it was 1 point = 1 attack power but now I know that would have been way too good to be true. I think it's like 5 points = 1 attack which would take ages to grind out at this juncture. Then again after the yeti I think new enemies appear in the earlier areas? Read that Ashina Depths has a great level-up spot where I'd get like a point every 4 minutes which isn't terrible.

Time to take another break, I'll hit this again next Thursday when I'll have a bunch of days off.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah how many hours do you have in this game? I'm looking in my steam library and I played for 19 hours, does that sound like I played a lot of it or was just getting started? I didn't have too much issue with 'git gud' in this game as it awarded attacking.

I'm thinking about trying again. Even if I have to 100% with a walk thru to keep from getting lost.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Rajaah Rajaah how many hours do you have in this game? I'm looking in my steam library and I played for 19 hours, does that sound like I played a lot of it or was just getting started? I didn't have too much issue with 'git gud' in this game as it awarded attacking.

I'm thinking about trying again. Even if I have to 100% with a walk thru to keep from getting lost.
That’s about right I have 48 hours played and that is with 1 play through, and fucking around with mods. And found my old post when I rolled credits.
Beat the game, clocked in at 24 hours played. I missed a bunch of stuff reading the wiki, but there is NG+ going to give that a go later.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I think it depends on what your playstyle is. I have about 50 hours played and haven't beaten the game, but I also leave the game on a lot when doing other things so who knows what the actual time is. People who grind a lot and practice and stuff will have more time, people who plow through and go for the throat might have way less time. People are beating this game in like 3 hours on speedruns pretty routinely. I think a first run is probably a 40-70 hour deal though.

19 hours is probably pretty far along if you didn't do much standing around though. Genichiro is roughly the halfway point boss of the game, and in 19 hours on a first go there's a good chance you got to him.

As for me, I took a break for a couple weeks but I think I'm pretty close to the end. All I have left for areas is Fountainhead Palace, and I count 6 major bosses I haven't beaten. Got 3 days off so my goal is to beat the game this weekend, we'll see if I can pull it off.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I reloaded it but now it keeps wanting to freeze up. I do wish From would hire at least 1 programmer for their ports. ER did it as well.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Question, in New Game Plus are all the prayer bead locations reset? I've got 18 Vitality right now and 0/4 (so missing 8 Prayer Beads). I'm guessing all of them are pretty late in the game since I scoured the first half of the game.

If I beat the game and start NG+ will I get prayer beads from all those early minibosses (which'll easily get me to 20 Vitality) or will only the ones I didn't get in NG show up? In which case I better make sure to get all of them in NG or I'll be stuck with 18 Vitality for most of NG+.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bosses I have left that I know of: True Corrupted Monk, Owl 2, Dragon, DoH, Isshin SS

Gonna try and get 3 of the 4 endings on NG (with backup saves), then Shura on NG+, and hopefully get the platinum inside NG+. Most of the stuff I read said it could take until NG+2 or even NG+4 to get the plat and I've already spent like 45 hours on this game. I have most of the skills (need about 30 more points IIRC) and I'm not above grinding the last few in NG+ Gun Fort or Ashina Castle Invasion.

Axiel Axiel Thanks, would have started NG+ sooner if the beads were re-obtainable and I could max out HP early on. I'll make sure to scour the endgame instead. Should have kept a list of which ones I got already.

Kind of funny how when I started this I planned on grinding out attack power points and leaving a lot of the skills for later. That would have been a total fool's errand because all I'd be doing is massively inflating the EXP needed to finish skills. The attack power mask seems like it's basically a trap.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What about attack power boosts from bosses? I assume those can be re-collected in NG+, since Attack limit is 99 while Vitality is 20.