Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software)

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Are triple a companies even allowed to do that anymore? Not support a game after release with dlc, expansions, or whatever? Wtf?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Are triple a companies even allowed to do that anymore? Not support a game after release with dlc, expansions, or whatever? Wtf?

This game was finished on release, barely patched and I encountered zero bugs or crashes. I wish games came out like this all the time.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm ok with no DLC on any game, really. I almost never buy DLC, as I have such a massive backlog of games. I have limited time these days, so it has to be amazing to get me to come back to it once I clear it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I’m okay with it to, that and I didn’t like Sekiro enough to buy dlc for it. Felt like a tech demo made into a game, a good game but the hype was too much for me and it was way oversold on Twitter.

It’s just weird these days, no problem with it though.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I guess they could have done, a "pre" Dragon blood DLC, but beyond that what could they do ? Maybe with Sekiro and the Daughter going off too the Dragon's homeland(but that would be more then just DLC, that's like a full game.)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Necroing this since I am replaying it for the first time since release. I am almost up to Fountainhead Palace again.

Anywho! Retrospective.
  1. Absolutely Excellent aesthetic.
  2. Great Storyline
  3. Interesting Abilities (a lot of them worthless though).
That said this is definitely the worst From game. I can hop into DS, Nioh or whatever and be pretty comfortable playing. This isn't the case in Sekiro where you are unbelievably punished for the most minor of mistakes. Boss fights take way too fucking long and there's minimal way to make them take less time without significant cheesing. Having to understand posture/health and simultaneously how to mitigate multiple different ability types is extremely annoying. Because of the posture shit. As your own posture is effected by your health so brinksmanship is much harder on mini bosses who will fatigue your posture in one blow, even if you deflect, because your low health eats your posture regen.

I think I really liked the idea of clashing blades when I first played but this second time is just... ungh. Having not played for a year each boss was still an absolute slog just like when I first played it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Beat this game week one pretty quickly and never touched it again. This is still more third favorite From Software game.
Bloodborne and Darksouls 3 being top 1 and 2 depending on my mood.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
More ranting now!

I think my biggest gripe is the clunkiness of combat compared to say Bloodborne or DS3. Let's compare to Bloodborne for a second. Like in Souls games you have a few invulnerability frames when you roll. You don't have this in Sekiro unless you are in a deathblow animation. This would be okay if you had move cancellation instead, but you don't. Once you attack something you are in the animation and then you can get caught. Just like any other From game.

It puts you in a situation where if you fuck up you now have limited means to escape the situation, your best bet is to block or deflect if you can. However, lots of enemies have long combo attack frames that can just chunk your health. Most enemies are fairly similar but the reach their weapons have are all way different. Most moves also track you so step dodging can not work. Except when it can because some certain enemy move does not track and wants you to step dodge into a counter attack. Which is fucking dumb.

Next is that you truly suffer when combatting multiple enemies. In Bloodborne you could use a weapon like the Hunter's Axe in trick mode that has massive reach and can cleave multiple enemies while slightly staggering them and knocking them back a little. Sekiro you have the cleave spear, which in addition to doing very little damage also has a super long wind up time. Other than that you can use various arts but arts suck because if you're hit during it it gets cancelled no matter what.

Finally the motherfucking red kanji and skills. The red kanji is probably my most hated thing because this single red kanji indicating an unblockable attack actually requires you to read the character animation instead of looking at the bigass red kanji to respond correctly. Even some mini-bosses can do all 3. The Red Kanji indicates that you'll need to either step dodge, mikri counter, or jump on face counter depending on the action. To do so you need to stop all controller input or you'll get caught in a movement and fucked.

This is where skills come in. Many skills are completely fucking missable too and without certain ones the game is like playing with your dick in a vice. I totally missed the Ashina arts in my first play through because I simply didn't even go into the room where Tengu was nor did I really give a shit because most From game quests are at best confusing and not rewarding. But if you don't get Ashina Arts you don't get improved deflection/posture damage which makes enemies like O'Rin of the Water literally 4x as hard because deflection is the only way to damage her.

I'm actually hunting down all the mini bosses and doing headless and stuff this time. While actually attempting to use prosthetics a lot. I barely used any the first time around. But spinning flame axe, flame vent and umbrella are actually really stronk.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TJT TJT Rank 2 fire works are really good too, they interrupt a ton of bosses.
Flame axe spin attack is where it's at. It can't be interrupted.

Once you can get the flaming sword ability it also dominates a bunch of enemies.

Guardian Ape is absolutely one of the best bosses the From games have ever produced. Illusion Corrupted Monk can suck a dick though. That fight is boring, bitch has like a million health and you can only hit her in increments of two without getting caught (even if you chain with firecracker). At that point in the game, she deals way too much posture to really try deflecting until she's at like 20% health. Even then you have to deflect like twice and run away.

I also don't really like the Divine Confetti mechanic. As it costs you resources to attempt each boss and you don't unlock infinite purchases until late in the game. Even then you gotta farm gold which is kind of annoying. Skill points too.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Necroing this since I am replaying it for the first time since release. I am almost up to Fountainhead Palace again.

Anywho! Retrospective.
  1. Absolutely Excellent aesthetic.
  2. Great Storyline
  3. Interesting Abilities (a lot of them worthless though).
That said this is definitely the worst From game. I can hop into DS, Nioh or whatever and be pretty comfortable playing. This isn't the case in Sekiro where you are unbelievably punished for the most minor of mistakes. Boss fights take way too fucking long and there's minimal way to make them take less time without significant cheesing. Having to understand posture/health and simultaneously how to mitigate multiple different ability types is extremely annoying. Because of the posture shit. As your own posture is effected by your health so brinksmanship is much harder on mini bosses who will fatigue your posture in one blow, even if you deflect, because your low health eats your posture regen.

I think I really liked the idea of clashing blades when I first played but this second time is just... ungh. Having not played for a year each boss was still an absolute slog just like when I first played it.
I found the opposite. For reference Bloodborne was my introduction to the series and its probably my favourite game of all time, but I find the combat in Sekiro much more rewarding. Having taken a complete beginner gamer through Sekiro who has never played any soulsbourne games, you need to play aggressively for essentially all the bosses. I played through Bloodborne not even realising I could parry (this was hard lol) so perhaps its just made me super aggressive in general, because I find BB/Sekiro/DS3 easier but the slow pace of DS1 took a lot of adjustment.

If you're a type of 'hit and back away' player then the fights take forever because posture regen is very fast, whilst this playstyle gets rewarded in DS1 more or less. For most bosses in Sekiro you are much better just playing completely aggro and looking for good deflections. Also each boss generally has some super move or playstyle that you get heavily rewarded for deflecting or dodging or whatever. For example ape's big leap into air and diving attack if you get a good deflection it stuns him and opens up a massive attack window. Most of the bosses have things like this. Sekiro is the type of game I can not play in months but log into and one shot Isshin because of how clean and consistent the combat is. As for your own posture, even when it breaks the bosses usually give you a second to roll dodge when they break it before they hit you, consistently. And I actually like that they take the combat even further at the highest level, for example on the harder Owl fight they actually change up the timings of attack windows to fuck with you in phase 2 compared with phase 1, its noticible and feels rewarding because he is meant to be one of the hardest.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Decided to start the new year off with some pain and play this for the first time.

Got 17 prayer beads and think I only found 1 in a chest so the rest are from bosses/minis. Definitely enjoying it more than the souls games but less than bloodborne.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Wrapped up the Shura ending because I read you can save scum for the other(s) and I don't have any desire to be playing multiple NG+ with all the new games about to drop. Will finish out the rest the bosses this week hopefully. I think died the most early on to that seven spears mini either from him randomly one shotting me or being impatient and not clearing the adds that run up the hill mid fight and ruin my flow. Everything else died in <10 deaths.

I do love this game though. The DS/Bloodborne series did not feel as good to play being slower paced and I often would spend way too much of my playtime wandering aimlessly.

Without needing to spoil anything I felt that I was always progressing. I tend to play fairly aggressive and this game rewards it heavily plus being able to parry practically everything is A+. Setting and story was solid as well. No complaints with game length either as I will likely get 25-30 or so hours out of it when all said and done.

Roberrrrrrrrrt!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finally playing this, just defeated Chained Ogre and now feel like a big shot. I love how lenient the parry window is compared to other From games. I don't think it'll be as difficult as I thought all this time (aside from roadblocks like Lady Butterfly etc). Just rolled through the first hour, whereas when I briefly tried this at launch I couldn't get past 10 minutes in.

Couple questions:
-Are soul "levels" banked once you fill the meter and add a number? I got to like 3 there and I'm afraid to go die and risk losing something.

-Money gets halved no matter what right? No way to bank that? I have like 1200 moneys and again, afraid to go lose half of it next time I play.

-Any key skills I should aim at learning first?

-Does it make sense to grind early on? Like I grinded a bunch of the consumable healing item when I found mobs that drop it but I don't know how necessary that is. In Bloodborne it helped me a ton to grind Blood Vial drops early on until I had hundreds of them for the rest of the game.

-If I beat the Chained Ogre in 3 tries and had a tough but good fight with it, how well am I doing so far?

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Finally playing this, just defeated Chained Ogre and now feel like a big shot. I love how lenient the parry window is compared to other From games. I don't think it'll be as difficult as I thought all this time (aside from roadblocks like Lady Butterfly etc). Just rolled through the first hour, whereas when I briefly tried this at launch I couldn't get past 10 minutes in.

Couple questions:
-Are soul "levels" banked once you fill the meter and add a number? I got to like 3 there and I'm afraid to go die and risk losing something.

-Money gets halved no matter what right? No way to bank that? I have like 1200 moneys and again, afraid to go lose half of it next time I play.

-Does it make sense to grind early on? Like I grinded a bunch of the consumable healing item when I found mobs that drop it but I don't know how necessary that is. In Bloodborne it helped me a ton to grind Blood Vial drops early on until I had hundreds of them for the rest of the game.

-If I beat the Chained Ogre in 3 tries and had a tough but good fight with it, how well am I doing so far?

Yep they are banked. I can't remember about money. Learn the mikiri counter if you don't have it already, its extremely important. I grinded for the skill that restores HP on kill (Breath of Life: Light) as it made things a lot less punishing but apart from that I don't think grinding is worthwhile.

Ogre is definitely the first roadblock for a lot of people, killing it in three tries is great :)

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Couple questions:

You can buy money bags as an item at like 90% price from merchants.
Grind when you need to but really all about killing bosses to level your attack and health. You can grind to a point but look up where prosthetics are as they can help sometimes more then levels.

Don’t forget your posture meter comes back faster when you hold block, use that to learn the parry timings.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Up to 3 charges of heal now, stocked 10 skill points. Haven't spent any yet, will go for the counter first. Seems like I can get a point every five minutes fighting the enemies where the Chained Ogre was. They both start with their back to the nearest bonfire so you can OHKO the tougher one and then just flurry the other one. Five minutes per point might even be overestimating because I'm not particularly rushing. Is that good? Surprised at the speed of point-gaining here, was gonna wait till later to grind.

Also I unlocked a port to Hirata Estate when I went back and talked to the NPCs at the Dilapidated Temple to unlock skill point usage etc. It looks like it just puts you up on a cliff and you can't do anything from there. Was I supposed to do something there besides look off the cliff, go "nice", and warp back to where I was?

Edit: Another question, it looks like I need a grand total of about 225 skill points? 127 to max all skills, then another 98 for attack power once I get the ability to raise that later?

Last edited: