Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone here have had service issues with FIOS in the past. I am on a 15/5 line and starting two weeks ago download speeds went down the crapper. I would be lucky to get 1 mbps download now. Upload speed is not affected at all. I ran their optimizer which modifies the modem tcp settings but shit is still slow as fuck. I called them and they sent a replacement router/modem which did not even turn on. Called them again and they decided to send a repair guy to replace the modem. I guess they thought I was some noob. Anyways the modem that the repairman installed worked fine and my speeds were back to normal that day. Then the evening came and it went back to sub 1 mbps speed again. Going on 3 years with fios and this is the first time shit like this has happened. Logged into the router and made sure no one was stealing my bandwidths and also disconnected all other devices except my laptop. I really don't know what it could be.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
The perks of living in eastern europe

2449125969.png

Torrent downloads cap out at ~80 mbps. ~20$ / month for this + land line + mobile (5 cents / m to ~90% of the world + 4gb internetz) + 3g stick (4gb traffic) + cable TV. Add about 10$ worth of mobile usage and it ends up to ~30$ a month.

Guess there's some healthy competition around here.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I don't even... I hate you right now.

2449251232.png

TekSavvy is a great ISP, but they're limited by the offerings that they can resell.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

2449125969.png

Torrent downloads cap out at ~80 mbps. ~20$ / month for this + land line + mobile (5 cents / m to ~90% of the world + 4gb internetz) + 3g stick (4gb traffic) + cable TV. Add about 10$ worth of mobile usage and it ends up to ~30$ a month.

Goddamn ping of 2ms it the most impressive part of all of that. I have pretty decent speeds on my cable here in the middle of the US, but I'm never below ~50ms ping to anywhere

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I live in a small city, but thank god our local power company offers fiber:

2450534186.png

That's on wifi on the other side of the house from where the router is. I had AT&T DSL for a few years before switching to Comcast cable, both of which sucked huge dick. As soon as our local power company begin offering fiber, I jumped on it immediately. That was about two and a half years ago. The customer service is fucking fantastic, the service has never went down, and it's just overall fucking fantastic.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

2449125969.png

I've always been curious as to specific countries and their policies, as they pertain to telecom and the like. In America it seems like companies really had no reason to expand or improve their services, because all of the competition was willing to sit on their current infrastructure and overcharge instead of taking some amount of risk and competing with others. I think that's why so many people here hate, even detest, companies like Time Warner. We've always suspected that those companies were full of shit and refusing to upgrade like they could have; Google now is simply forcing the issue and bringing it to light. And KC isn't the only city that has a shitload of dark fiber sitting around, these fucksticks could have moved forward if they wanted but they were happy to keep their ROI high by reinvesting as little as possible.

I hope all of these current ISPs get forced out of business.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am currently living on island in the middle of the north fucking Atlantic with about 50k people on it and they are currently rolling out 400mb fiber. This island has twice the cows than people and its getting fiber.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I am currently living on island in the middle of the north fucking Atlantic with about 50k people on it and they are currently rolling out 400mb fiber. This island has twice the cows than people and its getting fiber.
Doesn't matter if you've got fiber to the back of your PC if all you've got to the island is a microwave shot, though. =)

But seriously, is there even sufficient service to the place to warrant it? It's one thing to roll it out, it's another thing to actually be able to put it to use.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I've always been curious as to specific countries and their policies, as they pertain to telecom and the like. In America it seems like companies really had no reason to expand or improve their services, because all of the competition was willing to sit on their current infrastructure and overcharge instead of taking some amount of risk and competing with others. I think that's why so many people here hate, even detest, companies like Time Warner. We've always suspected that those companies were full of shit and refusing to upgrade like they could have; Google now is simply forcing the issue and bringing it to light. And KC isn't the only city that has a shitload of dark fiber sitting around, these fucksticks could have moved forward if they wanted but they were happy to keep their ROI high by reinvesting as little as possible.

I hope all of these current ISPs get forced out of business.
I live in Romania and around here we kinda skipped the whole adsl part. Our whole landline infrastructure was owned by the state and they were very late to the internet party. All our major ISPs were at the beginning cable-tv providers and they just took advantage of the infrastructure they had already for cable. I remember going from dial-up to ethernet cable from the internet cafe on the corner sharing a 128 kbps connection to 5/10/20/50/80 mbps (not sure on those numbers) over the last ~10 years maintaining the price and adding more services.

I also have a 16mbps ADSL backup from the state owned company i was talking about earlier that is ~5$/month and ofcourse includes another land-line and cable tv.

Also, back in the day we had pirate ISPs in the most populated areas where someone would buy some bandwidth and start selling internet and throwing cables from one building to the next. I have a friend that still uses one and pays about 10$ for 100 mbps + cable tv.

Did any of you do the math on what kind of connection you could get for 1-2k $ / month in the States and splitting that up for an apartment block or some shit?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I figure this is a good thread to post this in.

Since I've been tethering I've had a lot of bad service, which I guess is to be expected - it is stopgap after all. But when I'm throttled down to 2G speeds it's almost unusable, depending on what I am trying to do. Recently, when messing around with Steam (something I hadn't done in a while) I noticed that when I'm not throttled that Steam works fine, but when I am throttled down, it doesn't work...at all. Steam will not DL a single bit, ever, period, which is odd. It will continually tell me that I have no connection whatsoever, suspend downloads, then restart the cycle all over again and do so indefinitely...or at least, until I am unthrottled again. What is frustrating is that my speed was averaging around a 56k modem speed, or slightly below - slow, but from what I could tell still within a range that Steam could operate. This is of course difficult to gauge since I can't find any "specs" for what Steam operates under.

I opened a ticket with Steam 2 1/2 days ago with no response, but tonight I started wondering about my ping. Usually I'd have a test with my ping at around 200ms, which to me seemed hella slow, but still something that could be worked with. But occasionally, I'd catch a ping at around 1800ms-2000ms, which seems unbelievably terrible. It was almost impossible to get a feel for how it was doing over time with speedtest.net, so I DLed some freeware from PingPlotter and this is the hilarity I came up with.

This first set isn't completely uninterrupted but the last 5 or so are one after another, @ 15s intervals:

R1E7DG5.jpg

PTms1D4.jpg

jn1N433.jpg

jn1N433.jpg

fBzdOhn.jpg

LpJuoJq.jpg

Since I only have a users level of knowledge here, am I wrong in assuming that this is incredibly off the charts in terms of horrible, terrible latency? Also, since I'm anticipating the possibility of dealing with my service provider and being told some bullshit like "that's user error" or "your signal can be affected by outside conditions", is it possible that it could be a poor signal from my location to the tower? Bear in mind that I have no issues when I am NOT throttled, but I don't know if that is because when I am unthrottled I don't have such poor latency, or I do have similar poor latency but the higher unthrottled speed makes it less of an issue?

I'm guessing that it's safe to assume that this latency issue is bad enough to cause Steam to choke, but I'm still having a hard time with these results: with the Speedtest.net test, normally my ping was listed at around 200ms with the occasional 1800ms or so, with this test everything seems much higher with almost nothing as low as 200ms.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Another set I ran just to see if the results would be similar.

DAT PACKET LOSS

jH6IYsV.jpg

SUfYTpC.jpg

Sde7arQ.jpg

p63QA3F.jpg

Z2OQ1yT.jpg

NKWTXeS.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Since I only have a users level of knowledge here, am I wrong in assuming that this is incredibly off the charts in terms of horrible, terrible latency? Also, since I'm anticipating the possibility of dealing with my service provider and being told some bullshit like "that's user error" or "your signal can be affected by outside conditions", is it possible that it could be a poor signal from my location to the tower?
I don't know if you have tried dialup lately, but almost no part of the internet works over it anymore. My Mom tried to get into her Gmail on dialup last summer and no matter how many times she tried the page would not load. Ditto for facebook. The internet is just not meant for connections that slow anymore. I'm sure the ping times aren't helping either. I have satellite internet and my ping averages around 1100 and I do have trouble sometimes with things timing out and the server on the other end just gives up. I don't have much experience with Steam but I have used it over the satellite connection and it worked whatever that's worth.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
2459705821.png

Unfortunately the fastest I can get, as my apartment complex has a contract with AT&T. It's pretty stable and cheap at least.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm happy with this at $40. Upload could be better but meh its all good for what I use it for.

2460120220.png

Dis

Confirmed Male
This may not be news, but I heard that Comcast and Verizon are teaming up to offer FIOS through Comcast. Not sure if this a good thing or bad.

Also, I can only pray that Google Fiber will come to Houston some day.