Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It just means that Comcast will label it as Blast! Ultra! Extreme FIOS Xfinity Internet! and charge $60 more a month. I love how the prices just went up again across the board.

If that's true I wonder if it is because they are worried about Google.

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
This may not be news, but I heard that Comcast and Verizon are teaming up to offer FIOS through Comcast. Not sure if this a good thing or bad.

Also, I can only pray that Google Fiber will come to Houston some day.
It's the other way in my area. We can't get FIOS and when I asked at the Verizon retailer if they had any info on if it was going to be available anytime soon the salesman handed me a Xfinity pamphlet and told me they had a partnership with them. He specifically never mentioned 'comcast' or 'cable' in any way he just said "Xfinity" a whole lot.

It took a great deal of self control to keep my mouth shut.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Time Warner finally did something decent. After raising their speeds for their low-end internet plans last year (5mbps went to 10, 10 to 15, 15 to 20) , they finally adjusted their high-end plan speeds. I originally subscribed to their 30Mbps service a few years ago, as of the last week or two I'm now getting 50Mbps. Not sure what the 50 plan bumped up to, wonder if it is all the way to 100?

2579069080.png

Also, since I'm in KC, I'm sure they are scared shitless of Google Fiber. I'd sign up tomorrow if I could, but it'll probably be years(if ever) before it gets to me out in the KC suburbs :/

2579069080.png

2579069080.png

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I have the Comcast "Performance" plan, which is now 20Mb downstream. Did they double that from 10Mb? I thought I used to be limited to 10Mb, but their bill is completely uninformative, so I have no idea what speed I got when I had signed up for it.

edit: also, wtf FIOS? Costs an extra $25/month for 15/5.

Juvarisx

Florida
Toronto, and this is cable not fiber. Cost is 120 a month, 10 bucks more then usual cause i have no cap

rrr_img_20673.png

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, but... it's Rogers. Doesn't paying them just make your head ache?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'd give it a very long pause if it were Rogers. Now, if it wereTekSavvy(they only go up to 150 Mbps starting @ $85/month), I'd pay that in an instant. The difference is in the fact that TSI and other small providers up here generally do a good job of shielding you from the bullshit that Rogers trades in.

Oldbased

> Than U
Sorry to break the discussion here but I was wondering if anyone here used Dish? If so, how is it?
I have Insight cable right now but they were bought out by Time Warner and I'll keep my internet through them but I am sick of the compressed 720 HD shit cable puts out.
I had direct tv before and the picture was pristine HD all the time on everything, but I had a bad CS issue with Direct and won't go back to them.
I would also save $30 a month and get more channels doing it, but I have never had Dish. My satellite experience is simply Direct TV and long ago Primestar.

Oldbased

> Than U
It wasn't a CS issue, it was a we can get you locals and other stuff, then weeks later tell me they have to ask permission after it was installed which was denied 40 days later and some other issues like that. The dish wasn't installed right and in 60 days I had to have the tech come out 4 times before they actually planted the pole more than 8 inches deep in soft ground where water would stand if it rained. Then I said forget it I didn't get the service promised and install was botched and they wanted like $300 to cancel the service which wasn't as promised. I sent their shit back , told em to go to hell. They got about 5 different collectors still calling today over a year later to all of which I say take it to court, I'm ready and willing.

There was other issues even on top of those with it, but my service with Direct had little to do with quality and more to do with some shady ass souls.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So you had issues with shitty contracted installers that are working your area, not actually Direct TV.

FYI, those same installers will do your Dish as well.

Also, taking a hit on your credit score out of principal? You really showed them.

Not trying to be a dick here but why would you ever do that?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Dish will also lie to you about local channels. When they set it up in my Mom's house they told Dish that they didn't want to sign up unless they could get local channels out of Billings, MT. Dish assured them that they could, but then when they got there (I was at the house to meet the installer because my Mom was working) they said that she could only get channels out of Bismark, ND even though the next door neighbors had Billings channels from Dish. I threatened to make him pack up his shit and go home and pay to have the DirecTV hooked back up. Luckily the installer knew the tricks and we gave Dish a fake address to get them to let him activate the Billings channels but if not for him being willing to play games we would have gotten screwed.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
comcast keep jacking up my bundle prices, i looked around and there is literally 0 other alternatives in my area (not even FIOS)

I live between baltimore and maryland, pretty wealthy area

these dudes winning at monopoly like they owned park place and board walk

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ah you're right, I glossed over that.

In the majority of the US though there is some form of DSL available and then there is still satalite internet. Unfortunately as bad as either of those may suck at times...that means other options still exist and will never be considered a monopoly.
frown.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
IDK, can you? I'm sure someone with a business or economics degree can correct me, but that seems like a big enough difference to me. If there's only one supplier of diesel in your area, are you not going to call them a monopoly because you can go pick up some used fry oil from a restaurant?

Or do you mean "never considered a monopoly" by the government? I've given up hope long ago of the government breaking up/preventing monopolies.